[Rumor] Android 5.1 in QTR 1

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
android-5-0-lollipop.jpg

Android 5.1 lollipop is slated to push in the first quarter of next year (Jan-Mar) to Nexus devices, GPE devices, and more likely Moto devices. Below is the list of improvements.

• Silent mode added after missing on Android 5.0
  • General improvements in system stability
  • Improved RAM management
  • Fixes for sudden app closures
  • Improved battery management
  • Excessive consumption of network devices when used Wi-Fi fixed
  • Issues with wireless connections fixed
  • Problems with Okay Google function solved
  • Notifications problems solved
  • Some sound problems experience by certain devices fixed
  • Other improvements and changes
  • Changes in the Material Design color palette (after users complaints, possibly for a higher version though)

Source: Exclusive Android 5.1 release date and improvements revealed - AndroidPIT

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
ARGGGHHHH!!! In that case, HTC HOLD OFF on 5.whatever in January and just give me 5.1 no later than February, 'k? ;)

-Matt

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I wish there was a better way for updates to work. I realize that you can't possibly know EVERY bug until software gets out to the masses, but we get so excited for these "major, named" updates only to find issues with them, then OEMs have to get their hands on them, then carriers. I can't decided whether I'd rather get nightly little updates while I slept, or just wait until they've got a fully stable build of whatever candy-name they're calling the next update.

With that said, now that I've had more time with it, I'm enjoying lollipop on my N7, so I don't know that I care. Give me 5.0(.1) on my Note 4 in January and the next one a month or two later.

I don't know why, but I just LOVE software updates. I check throughout the day to make sure all my apps are updated and get excited for bug fixes. We won't even get into what complete overhauls of apps does to me...

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
Really? I can't even get VZW to give me 5.0, and they're rolling out the next update? I'd get a Nexus 6, but the screen size is just too big for me.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Really? I can't even get VZW to give me 5.0, and they're rolling out the next update? I'd get a Nexus 6, but the screen size is just too big for me.
So, you're saying that the N6 isn't ScottySized?

(Couldn't help it)

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
So, you're saying that the N6 isn't ScottySized?

(Couldn't help it)
Oh ya, it's ScottySized alright. Sized right outta my sizing plan. ;)

I tried an HTC One Max ealier this year. That's why I know a 6" screen isn't for me. It's just too big to be carried around in my pocket, and I'm a big guy. I wish they has made a Nexus 5.5 and gave it a 5.0 or 5.2" screen. IMO 5.2" is perfect. Both my current devices are 5.2 and I love them both.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Oh ya, it's ScottySized alright. Sized right outta my sizing plan. ;)

I tried an HTC One Max ealier this year. That's why I know a 6" screen isn't for me. It's just too big to be carried around in my pocket, and I'm a big guy. I wish they has made a Nexus 5.5 and gave it a 5.0 or 5.2" screen. IMO 5.2" is perfect. Both my current devices are 5.2 and I love them both.
At least you tried. I've said it in many other threads, but I thought about the Note 3 when I got the s4 and though it'd be way too big.

Now, I'm on the Note 4 and loving it. It fits well in most of my pants, though it sticks out far enough in 2 of my pairs of jeans that a buddy of mine claimed "That laptop is staring at me" (you can plainly see the camera.)