[Rumor] 3 New Android Phones for VZW in May: Droid X2, LG Revolution, Sony XperiaPlay

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
motorola-droid-x-2-may12.jpg

May 12th is looking like a big day for Verizon phone releases. Industry rumor leads us to believe there is a good possibility that two new Android phones will be released that day to Verizon stores. But the rumors don't end there, and it looks like the month of May will usher in an additional new smartphone for Verizon on the 26th. Below is a list of the upcoming Android release phones:
  1. DROIDX2: May 12 – Reps are being told to sell through the remaining inventory of the original DX to make room for the DX2. And remember that the DX2 is expected to be Verizon’s first dual-core Tegra 2 phone.
  2. LG Revolution: May 12 – The next 4G LTE device, which will follow up the DROID Charge. It’s also expected to be the first Android phone to launch with Netflix support.
  3. Sony Xperia Play: May 26 – You all know it as the PlayStation Phone. It looks like it’s finally ready for the States. Should be offered in all VZW stores.
It sure seems like Verizon is glutting the market with a bunch of new phones. Then again, it makes sense for them to start replacing some of the aging current models with new stuff. Do any of these phones look intriguing to you guys?

Source: Droid-Life

Zecpull

Reaction score
I Love my Droidx.. and the DX2 is a dual core processor, so it may be enough of a reason to move up .. I Love the looks of the LG revolution, but it is about the same processor as my current DX . I do wonder if the Rev will have the outstanding battery life and durability., most LG phones have.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I'm likin the DX2! I'll just slap the case from my DX1 right on it! Hope it at least gets root and maybe a couple of roms. :)

heem

Reaction score
DX2 Looks interesting. As for the Sony, I wouldn't trust Sony with something half as personal as my cell phone data.

pizza3

Reaction score
Droid squared

I refer you to my earlier post this morning on this board. While the X2 has the same case and is limited to 3G as the original X it has the advantage of being the same case and not being 3G. At 4.3 inches it is the biggest if not one of the biggest screens out there perfect for fat fingers to use the onscreen keyboard. It doesn't have any of those pesky physical keyboards that wears out your thumbs and it has 25% better resolution. It doesn't have 3G? So what? Although it is available in my hometown look at last week's outage. I'm not confident Verizon knows how to make it work yet, and nothing I do requires the prolonged kind of data transmission that would justify 4G. Sooner or later they will find a way to charge you extra for it. Did I mention it will have a 1.2 something dual core processor? No? Then it will have a 1.2 something dual core processor. A perfect phone for me. They can stop progress right here. I hope no one else in NC wants one.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
That's not the X2 in the picture in the first post though. Even though the X2 is essentially identical to the X, the red camera gives that one away as being the X. The X2 doesn't have the physical camera button (or at least the last leaked pictures didn't have one). That's just an old picture of the X.

Stories

Reaction score
Due for upgrade in August. I'm waiting myself for:

-Dual-core
-LTE
-Hardware keyboard
-Unlocked bootloader

Crossing my fingers, crossing my fingers...

rlarson_mn

Reaction score
The Droid X2 looks good to me. 4G will not be in my area for 12-24 months so I do not mind a 3G phone that has more RAM, a better screen and dual core. Bring it on!

Tru2Chevy

Reaction score
I just got my DX in January, planning to steal my sister's upgrade in September. I was hoping for something similar to the DX with 4G, but the DX2 might be able to sway me. I'll just have to wait and see available in the fall.

- Justin

music life

Reaction score
when i first read this i was hoping to see the droid 3.

but the X2 looks interesting. with the 4g dual core problems im almost scared to get the first one due to the problems that may follow.

LG rev lost me when i saw 5mp camera

Sony is just a no for me as well. lol

JoeyJ

Reaction score
Hmm got my inc2 on friday so the 12th will be one day short of my 14days to bring it back wonder if it would be worth it to try out the dx2 if that is the actually release date.

stinger161

Reaction score
I love my DX but I'm holding out to see when the Bionic hits. The DX2 looks very promising though. Have no interest in Sonys "playstation" phone being an Xbox Live purist. Ironically have no interest in a Microsoft phone either lol!

But let's say they clear out the original DX stock and I have to do an insurance claim due to loss/theft/damage. What am I going to get?

Reaction score
I know while some are licking their chops for the first dual core phone... I still think its worth the wait for 4g/dual core.

Its like making a slammin 3/4lb cheeseburger and NOT putting bacon on it.

cromag.rickman

Reaction score
I know while some are licking their chops for the first dual core phone... I still think its worth the wait for 4g/dual core.

Its like making a slammin 3/4lb cheeseburger and NOT putting bacon on it.

While I don't technically agree... AWESOME reference. Points for that ;)

mjsplicer

Reaction score
Actually my big concern will be with pricing structure. If the tiered data pricing comes soon I will take a less powerful 4g phone to stay on $30 data plan

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Rooted DX OC'D/UV'D on ApeX GB