Ruining my droid.

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by ndeer44, Jun 5, 2010.

DroidForums.net is the premier Android Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
  1. ndeer44

ndeer44 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Im new to all this rooting and ROMs and stuff but havnt messed up so far. I got stuck in a boot loop but was able to recovered but that opened my eyes to possibly ruining my droid. If i have a backup recovery is there any way to possibly ruin my droid? First i had SPRecovery (which had my unrooted and fresh rooted backups) but then when i got ROM manager it gave me ClockworkMod Recovery. I went ahead and just copied over the backup folders from nandroid into the new recovery location.

Im not planning to overclock my droid much so im not worried about overheating it or anything just bricking it
  2. cpjr

cpjr Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well its not impossible to brick the phone....havent ever worried about it myself though.
  3. borgey401

borgey401 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    umm i dont think SPRecovery backups are compatable with Clockwork.... Someone correct me if I am wrong but when installing a ROM that comes as a nandroid backup there is usually two downloads one for SPRecovery and one for Clockwork. if i was you i would backup your current ROM using whatever recovery image you have flashed right now so you know for a fact you have atleast one good backup in case something goes wrong. but don't worrie just because you got stuck in a boot loop doesn't mean you are hurting your phone. it's pretty hard to brick this beast if you pay attention to what you are doing. even if you do brick it there is a sbf file you can flash to unbrick it and get you back to 2.0.1. that being said you're fine just make sure you don't go out of your comfort zone and follow directions to a T.
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  4. ndeer44

ndeer44 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So am i not going to be able to go back to my unrooted backup?
    And if you brick a phone how are you able to flash to it?
  5. Kmart95

Kmart95 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ya SPrecovery nandroids are not compatible with clockwork backups. And you would have to use rsd lite to "unbrick" a phone
  6. borgey401

borgey401 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    you can't backup an unrooted ROM because when you have an unrooted ROM you have the stock recovery image. make a backup of your current ROM before you flash anything else. You can go back to stock anytime with ROM manager it's under ROMs/stock images/ then there is a rooted 2.1 and a unrooted 2.0.1. if incase you do ever brick your phone ( chances are very slim with that though ) you download a program called RSD Lite and flash a file with the program and it will bring your phone back to a usable unrooted state. I honestly would not worrie as much as you are about bricking your Droid. I don't see it happen ever really and I know A LOT of people who hack and flash custom ROMs ( a decent amount of them are just starting off too ). Just stick with ROM manager untill you get the hang of manually flashing things and remember ALWAYS make sure you have a backup BEFORE you flash ANYTHING to the ROM ( kernel, theme, icons, fonts, absolutely anything ) of your current ROM just incase the flash does not go well and the ROM will not boot up or something like that goes wrong. that way you can reboot into recovery and restore your latest backup
  7. haledroid

haledroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you brick your phone. Just look around on google and this forum. There are a ton of threads out there about unrooting and unbricking your droid. The threads have very good instructions and download links. Its very easy to start over. The cool part about sprecovery and clockwork is it saves the backups to your sdcard. So if you brick your phone and reload. Your backups are still there. Just install sprecovery or clockwork again and then you will see your previous backups.

If you brick your phone you can use a program called RDSLite to flash your phone with a new rom or .sbf file. You install RDSLite onto your windows PC and use the data cable that came with the phone to connect it to the computer. To get your phone in the mode for it to be flashed, turn it completely off. Then hold the up button on the dpad of the droids external keypad and turn the phone on. Keep holding the up button until you see a black and white dos looking screen. That will get you started.
  8. borgey401

borgey401 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    just make sure you run RSD Lite under the admin. account on your computer or it will not let you do it. there is a couple threads on unbricking with RSD Lite on a few different websites. One being Androidcentral.com
  9. ndeer44

ndeer44 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone for all the info, just one more question.
    If i decide to overclock by downloading from ROM manager what risks do i run into like what app should i use to monitor temp and what temp do u not want to exceed?
  10. DroidHead17

DroidHead17 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    After lingering around this site for a couple of months, I figured this would be a good time to make my first post. Basically all I've got to say is that you don't have much to worry about. As long as your "googling" skills are somewhat decent, you'll be able to easily figure out how to do just about anything you need to do with your droid.
    If you want to install a new kernel for your ROM in ROM Manager all you need to do is download SetCPU which will allow you to OC and will also monitor your temperature. Just make sure the kernel your downloading is compatible with your current ROM. It's a good idea to make a habit of making a backup before you download a new ROM, kernel, or theme.
    I was a little hesitant to root my phone at first. But after downloading a couple ROM's...getting caught in a couple boot loops...thinking my phone was bricked and completely resetting using RSD Lite, then rooting all over again I can say that it's completely WORTH IT! Especially on days like today when we get to play around with froyo!