RSD Lite.... what can go wrong?

lucasmonta

Reaction score
Hi everyone there, I'm really newbie in all this android stuff so I'll appriciate some directions on how to get my Droid 3 flashed

my problem is the next one: I want to instal Steel Droid v4.5 ROM but it requires system version 5.6.890 and my phone has an older version...........the thing is I failed to find an RSD Lite tutorial on how to flash this update ( or any other firmware) so I'm hesitant on pressing the "Start" button on the program

But anyways what I'm really intrested in is how to go back to my stock state if something goes wrong ( restoring via safestrap with a nandroid would be of some use? )

I will be really grateful if someone can help me on this one
Thanks for reading
Lucas

Further Info:
I'm Rooted
I have safestrap (Have made a nandroid )
I have titanium backup ( dont really know if it's of any use here, but I just said it )

please feel free to ask me any question

[no, OTA isn't working for me, dont really know why (I hit update system and I get a white screen, nothing happens), I think its because I'm on Argentina, and it seems that my carrier (Claro Argentina) doesnt work with the newest version ]

Thanks a lot again and scuse me for my grammar I'm not a native-english speaker

GreenSnow

Reaction score
I don't know much about safestrap, I have followed the developer of steel droid from day one, (got my d3 a month after it came out) insatalled steel a few days after release, very good, solid rom. Now for your answers, it doesn't matter what system version you have it comes with the new one, (that's why you do a complete system wipe)

Its a very simple process, (not sure about safestrap) so I will give you bootstrap (I know its not your exact question but if you decide to go this route here it is)

1.install droid3 bootstrapper
2.download .zip file for steeldroid 4.5 to SD card (I usually do ext. Just in case)
3.reboot to recovery
4.backup a nandroid - very important step in case something doesn't work right after flashing new rom(reboot optional here)
5.wipe all data including cach
6.install .zip
7.enjoy

You should also to a titanium app/data backup if you have apps you like, (this app backup will carry over after the system wipe)

Hope this helps, I feel like its a little simpler then using safestrap but I could be wrong.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
it's worth it to take the time to read up on safestrap. Because when you're in safemode, you can get away with just about anything. Messed something up? Bootlooping like mad? No problem. Wipe everything, start all over. Dont got time to do it again? Cool. Revert to your primary system. It'll be like nothing happened.

Plus, who wouldnt want the ability to boot into two different operating systems?? I got steel droid and maverick on my phone. At one point, i had steel droid and cm9. Wanna test an alpha rom? Safemode. New rom gets released? Dunno if its worth it to switch? Safemode. Nagging girlfriend? Safemode. It does it all.

Edit: oh yeah, this might help...

Download safestrap
Open safestrap
install recovery
reboot recovery
Make a nandroid if you want
Go to safe boot menu
toggle safe system (not quick toggle)
Crack a beer
wipw data
wipe cache
Go to advanced
Wipe dalvik cache
back out to main menu
Mounts and storage
format /system
all this wiping is probably not necessary your first time in safe... i'll let one of the big dogs comment on that...
install zip from sdcard
choose where your rom is
Find your rom
Yes install ""
Enjoy rest of beer
I like to wipe data and cache right after the install. I'm relatively ocd.
boot
Enjoy
Good luck

Last edited:
OP
L

lucasmonta

Reaction score
ok thanks a lot I'll try again, I think I missed the /system format step ( diserves a big "DUH -.-")....I'll leto you know if something went wrong, and yes, I use the safe-mode to instale it, and I made this thread beacause I falled into a bootloop after doing so, thanks god I did it on safe mode so I was covered if this happened..........ok I'll give another try, thanks again :D

OP
L

lucasmonta

Reaction score
Just did as
anthrpicdecadnce
said and falled into a bootloop, dont really know what I'm messing, if its not te system version, the dont really know what it is............ just let me quote the SD4.5 realese thread:
"
1: Download the 5.6.890 SBF file HERE
2: Download RSDLite 5.5 HERE
3: Extract the contents of the SBF file to a folder on your computer
4: Install RSDLite
5: Boot the Droid 3 into bootloader by holding both Vol+ & Vol- at the same time when powering the phone on
6: Select "AP Fastboot" and press Vol+ to select it
7: Select the XML from the extracted SBF file in RSDLite
8: Connect the phone, and when it says "Connected", hit "Start"
9: Wait for the phone to finish flashing, and booting (it will reboot a couple times, leave it alone, its supposed to!)
"

I SKIPPED this steps beacause I dont know what can go wrong by doingo so, and if it doesm dont know how to go back... so I just activated SAFE mode, and installed the ROM........the outcome it's a nice bootloop, so the way I see it , I need to flash my device to 5.6.890 system version, Am I wrong?
scuse me again, and thanks a lot for your help

Reaction score
Just did as
anthrpicdecadnce
said and falled into a bootloop, dont really know what I'm messing, if its not te system version, the dont really know what it is............ just let me quote the SD4.5 realese thread:
"
1: Download the 5.6.890 SBF file HERE
2: Download RSDLite 5.5 HERE
3: Extract the contents of the SBF file to a folder on your computer
4: Install RSDLite
5: Boot the Droid 3 into bootloader by holding both Vol+ & Vol- at the same time when powering the phone on
6: Select "AP Fastboot" and press Vol+ to select it
7: Select the XML from the extracted SBF file in RSDLite
8: Connect the phone, and when it says "Connected", hit "Start"
9: Wait for the phone to finish flashing, and booting (it will reboot a couple times, leave it alone, its supposed to!)
"

I SKIPPED this steps beacause I dont know what can go wrong by doingo so, and if it doesm dont know how to go back... so I just activated SAFE mode, and installed the ROM........the outcome it's a nice bootloop, so the way I see it , I need to flash my device to 5.6.890 system version, Am I wrong?
scuse me again, and thanks a lot for your help
i made you boot loop? I'm terribly sorry... i missed the fact you didnt sbf to 5.6.890. Just to be clear, your phone is an xt862 right? I'm only asking because you said your in argentina. I think that matters

Reaction score
Hi everyone there, I'm really newbie in all this android stuff so I'll appriciate some directions on how to get my Droid 3 flashed<br>
<br>
my problem is the next one: I want to instal Steel Droid v4.5 ROM but it requires system version 5.6.890 and my phone has an older version...........the thing is I failed to find an RSD Lite tutorial on how to flash this update ( or any other firmware) so I'm hesitant on pressing the "Start" button on the program <br>
<br>
But anyways what I'm really intrested in is how to go back to my stock state if something goes wrong ( restoring via safestrap with a nandroid would be of some use? )<br>
<br>
I will be really grateful if someone can help me on this one<br>
Thanks for reading<br>
Lucas<br>
<br>
Further Info:<br>
I'm Rooted<br>
I have safestrap (Have made a nandroid )<br>
I have titanium backup ( dont really know if it's of any use here, but I just said it )<br>
<br>
please feel free to ask me any question<br>
<br>
[no, OTA isn't working for me, dont really know why (I hit update system and I get a white screen, nothing happens), I think its because I'm on Argentina, and it seems that my carrier (Claro Argentina) doesnt work with the newest version ]<br>
<br>
Thanks a lot again and scuse me for my grammar I'm not a native-english speaker
<br><br>Its my understanding that if you used safestrap you should be able to just go back to nonsafe mode it will take you back to stock + root rom version. Which method did you use to root your phone hopefully the 1 click windows method . I would strongly recommend reading the safestrap tutorial http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-3-hacks/181416-how-install-safestrap-create-backup.html and http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-3-hacks/181636-how-use-safestrap-backup-flash-wip.html&nbsp; BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING read ALL the post it explains it real well it helped me out immensely. Can you still get into safestrap?<br>

OP
L

lucasmonta

Reaction score
i made you boot loop? I'm terribly sorry... i missed the fact you didnt sbf to 5.6.890. Just to be clear, your phone is an xt862 right? I'm only asking because you said your in argentina. I think that matters

as a matter of fact, I don't :O ...... my phone claims to be XT860 ( Thats what it says under the "Model Number" label on "About the phone" menu )

Ok, then, at the light of this new info, am I on the right forum, does someone knows were should I head to?

Thanks a lo again ( I feel really stupid right know -.- )

Reaction score
read the links in post 7 (read ALL THE POSTS alot of info). You still haven't stated if you can load into safestrap or not and what method did you use to root phone. Your goal I take is to get back to stock so you can update right?

Last edited:
OP
L

lucasmonta

Reaction score
read the links in post 7 (read ALL THE POSTS alot of info). You still haven't stated if you can load into safestrap or not and what method did you use to root phone. Your goal I take is to get back to stock so you can update right?

I have hascode's safestrap 1.08v working perfectly and I used pete's root tools, also worked for me ( all things extracted from this forum)........I'm goona see that post
thanks, I will tell you if I have any problems :)

EDIT:
what I'm trying to know is how to update my system version ( in order to be compatible with SD4.5v....but now I think that beeing my cell an XT860 it wont work anyways :( ) with RSD Lite and also want to know go to go back if I get bricks or bootloops ......thanks a lot again

Last edited:
Reaction score
Its my understanding that you should be able to revert back to nonsafe mode in bootstrap this will take you back to stock plus root. Then you should be able to use petes tool to unroot phone then you should be able to update. Please anybody if im wrong please correct me.

Last edited: