Rooting????

Auburn#1

Reaction score
Hello I am new to the whole droid generation. I just got mine on friday and i have a droid 2. I want to know exactly what rooting is and what it does? I would also like to know the best apps to have for saving my battery and how to make that last longer because mine goes down pretty quick. And i would like any other suggestions for apps that anybody might have. Thanks!!!!

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Rooting is like giving yourself administraitive access so that you can do things on the phone ordinary users are not able to do. For the d2 that means we can install root apps like screen capture apps. We can also load custom roms and themes and even overclock the cpu.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
:welcome: to the forums.

Root gives you access to functions locked out by your wireless carrier like wifi tether and screen capture.
It is the administrative equivalent on a Linux operating system.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
As far as your battery life is concerned, there are quite a few threads on saving it on here. Simple things to do are to disable WiFi and your location services when not in use and set your brightness to automatic. Those things helped me out alot!

Hello I am new to the whole droid generation. I just got mine on friday and i have a droid 2. I want to know exactly what rooting is and what it does? I would also like to know the best apps to have for saving my battery and how to make that last longer because mine goes down pretty quick. And i would like any other suggestions for apps that anybody might have. Thanks!!!!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums app (free in market)

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Oh and as for battery life you can try juice deffender from the marketplace. It has some good options to save battery like disabling background data after a period of innactivity. It also shows you how much battery it is estimated to be saving in percents.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Droid does you are exactly one step ahead of me lol.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
All three of us posted a minute apart lol

Canadroid

Reaction score
I would also like to know the best apps to have for saving my battery and how to make that last longer because mine goes down pretty quick. And i would like any other suggestions for apps that anybody might have. Thanks!!!!

If you don't mind swapping your rear cover, I've seen a a few new positive reviews on the extended life battery.

I don't do much gaming or videos so I've actually been impressed w/ my D2's battery life so far.

fox_hound

Reaction score
I have the d2 r2d2 my extended battery is pretty good.
The stock battery is also good, if I were you get one just in case you need it one day, that extended battery save my butt couple of time when I was in a bidding war on ebay lol and there was no charger in sight ....
Oh invest in a car charger also ;)
Welcome ...

I am also new to rooting but I getting the hang of it.