Rooting

nateccnn

Reaction score
It's not that just rooting and loading a custom rom takes too long. If you were to stay on that rom from that point on it would be one thing, but once you get started you are flashing roms more often then you think. Every time the next latest rom comes out you flash it, and so on and so on. My point was that in your 70's fishing is more fun than flashing phone roms.

Uh huh...that was me until the 2.1 update rolled out from Verizon. Now I just run Stock 2.1 with root and a lv kernel. Lost the urge to roll through all the different "Custom" ROMs. Life has been simpler ever since.

Now I am obsessed with music. That friggin Amazon MP3 app is killing my retirment plans!

Nate

kirra27

Reaction score
My phone will not show up on the RSD lite. I tried doing the config Device ID options. Help!

Hey airtightonline,

After you downloaded the drivers (either 64 or 32 bit depending) did you install them? I was having the same problem as you until I realized I downloaded the drivers for RSD Lite..but never installed them :blink:

However...after the drivers installed RSD Lite showed my phone and worked like a charm and I was rooted in no time! :icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana:

Otherwise do a search on the forum. Many people have had the same issue...so I'm sure your solution is here somewhere. :)

EbE404

Reaction score
I have been reading alot of the posts each day on the Forum since I got my Mot. Droid a month ago.. Particularly about Rooting.
A lot of the info is are pretty technical for me...since I am in my 70's and not really that computer savy...but I want to learn more about the Droid.
Can you please tell me what the main purposes and benefits are of "Rooting" your Droid"?

Hi, wayneman

Welcome to the forum.

You've gotten a lot of good feedback on your question, but I'm going to play devil's advocate for a bit here. There are pros and cons to rooting. On the plus side, you can access a lot more potential features and functions (I say potential, because if you're not going to make use of them, they aren't much good to you). You can change the look and feel of your phone, as well as its behavior and performance.

On the "con" side, it involves a lot of potential tweaking and tinkering, some special software and files, potential stability issues, a potentialy greater complexity to tech support, and a potentially voided warranty.

Think of this a bit like engineering-there are tradeoffs to be made, and different tradeoffs have different value for different people.

Here is a link that does a very good job of explaining what "rooting" is, and what the details of the pros and cons are. Please don't take the title of the thread personally (I didn't come up with it), it's just what it is called:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/632-what-root-means-stop-asking.html

If you're interested in simply learning more, this forum is full of information about different ways rooting can be done, different features, ROMs, etc. I would advise you to read some of these threads, because they will give you some insight into the wonderful features you can access, as well as some of the questions that are asked, issues and resolutions to problems when they arise.

Here is another link where you can learn about Android, what it is and how it works:

What is Android? | Android Developers

Don't let a guy like me talk you out of it, and don't let anybody else talk you into it-this really is a personal choice. Rather, read a lot, ask questions and let us know if there is anything we can do to help

Diordna

Reaction score
DISCLAIMER! >>> I'm not posting in this thread to speak out against rooting your Droid.

That said....

I just want to point out that you CAN wifi tether without rooting your Droid! There are two apps available that allow this:

- EasyTether
- PDAnet

My Droid is not rooted, but I have successfully used EasyTether to use my Droid as a tethered wifi source for my laptop. :) (I have not tried using PDAnet.)
Um no one said anything about this post?

Ok, this is NOT wifi tethering. It's WIRED tethering, yes it gets you internet and it costs money for them (at least for HTTP5) but rooting you can WIFI tether and no need to pay anything. Wireless tethering is awesome on the go!