Rooting?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by jbrock98, Apr 5, 2010.

1. jbrock98

jbrock98 New Member

ok would someone explain to me wat rooting is? and what the difference is between that and a hacking if there is none, and what all does rooting allow my phone to do.... peytonfan16@gmail.com www.facebook.com/jbrock98 www.myspace.com/jbrock423
  2. Abe21599

Abe21599 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

3. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

I must be a glutton for punishment to answer this as this has been discussed countless times.

Rooting allows the user to gain root access (read GOD access) to the device and its' file system. By doing so you can flash a custom kernel that will allow overclocking as well as running lower voltages (cooked kernel). You can also flash a custom ROM. A ROM in this case would more or less be the UI and software packages running atop the kernel whether it be stock or cooked. You can also tweak other settings of the devices/OS by running certain scripts. Hope that helps.
  4. brando56894

brando56894 New Member

[edit] you shouldnt have explained it because were just going to keep getting these questions, if they cant take the time to read stickied topics they shouldnt be doing it.[/edit]

Im sorry if you people cant take the time to read the (titles of) stickied topics in the forums, Im not going to explain it to you since it has been covered every day and there are multiple topics on it.

LOOK AT THE STICKIED TOPICS IN THIS FORUM SECTION!
  5. Abe21599

Abe21599 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

no one SAID u have to answer a thread :)
  6. jbrock98

jbrock98 New Member

sorry i read that sticky i wasnt trying to be one of those ppl but i meant to phrase it more so on what exactly does rooting allow u to do? i'm not computer savy just can do most the standard stuff and dont understand this overclocking and UI and custom ROM and someone had suggested me buy some book on amazon that explains everything i thought that would be taking it to the extreme but it might be a good idea since about everything ya'll say is like chinese to me, just more so wanted to know wat all would it allow me to do and would it be worth my time to root my phone

(again sorry about wasting time and space on the forum i try to take time and search and read i should've phrased my question little differently)
  7. brando56894

brando56894 New Member

Ok thats a little better of a post. "Rooting" a phone refers to obtaining root user access to a unix-based operating system. The Root user is (somewhat) equivalent to the Administrator account of a windows based machine, except that Root can do ANYTHING to the OS (ex. delete system files while theyre in use). Essentially Root = Godlike powers@your computer

With a rooted droid you can modify the system and system files to your liking, obtain hardware info, overclock the CPU (increase the speed, most users run at almost twice the speed of a stock droid) and many other things I cant think of right now. Look around and read up on it before you do it so you actually know what youre doing. If you dont understand something google it or look it up on wikipedia, dont expect people to hand feed you solutions. Thats the one thing that makes people angry, why help those who dont want to help themselves?