1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Rooting

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Nata, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Nata

Nata New Member

Ok guys. I have done my research about rooting and i want to do it but i am a little scared about it. i do not want to mess up my droid and lose warranty. If something goes wrong when i root my phone, is there something that i can do to save it? Is rooting something safe i can do to my droid? I have so many concerns about this. :motdroidhoriz:
  2. kaboyd

kaboyd New Member

Welcome...

It's not exactly the "rooting of the phone that will cause problems. Imo obtaining root permission is fairly easy and safe. The danger you may come across is flashing new ROMs on your phone and that is what a nandroid backup in SPrecovery is for. I have messed with every ROM I come across and I was very green when I began hacking this phone. I have never come close to a point where I thought I "bricked" my phone because when problems arrived, I restored a backup that was made. IMO, running these ROMs is very safe if you take three time to CYA with SPrecovery, and be ready to do a lot of reading this forum if and when you have a problem.
  3. pc747

pc747 Administrator Staff Member

i posted a video tutorial of what rooting is and a video tutorial how to root and some other things.
  4. Nata

Nata New Member

Okay so your saying that its pretty much safe as long as i have a nandroid backup i should be okay. If anything goes wrong i would just need to go to where i saved the nandroid backup and start from new there.
  5. kaboyd

kaboyd New Member

That's right. I've had a couple instances where a ROM I installed would not work or it caused a bootloop problem. I have always been able to use SPrecovery to do an "advanced nandroid restore". It's your "safety net".
  6. christim

christim Super Moderator

Worst case you go back to stock by doing link number 3 below. I think this happens very seldom to people though. Read the directions of the rom you want to apply, make sure it has what you want and then you'll have your first flash under your belt. Deciding to try a different rom will be a faster decision after you see how easy it is.

Good luck and just post any questions if you get stuck. Plenty here will help out.
  7. droidkm

droidkm New Member

i know virtually nothing about the phone os/what i'm doing. i'm competent at reading and following instructions, and have read a lot of the available guides and stuff. i have flashed many new roms. i am confident that at no point could i brick my phone, and that i could be back to stock in 5 minutes if ever i felt the need to.

basically, unless you go messing with things that you don't understand, there's no way that you can become unable to restore your phone to a backup with sprecovery. even if you do mess that up somehow, you can probably still fix it with help from people on the forums.
  8. LtKen

LtKen New Member

If you're concerned about messing it up, then I would recommend the DroidMod method. If you understand what to do, you run the least chance of human-error-related issues.
  9. Howsthisthingwork

Howsthisthingwork New Member

I followed the steps in links above in christim's post. I'm now running BB1.1 with DroidMod kernal, oc'd to 800 with wireless tether.

I have no linux experience and am not really that tech savvy. My only real asset in this realm is that I can spell the word computter...I mean computer.

Word of advice: read the steps THOROUGHLY and REPEATEDLY. Know what you're going to do ahead of time. I got excited and tried to rush through it like a know-it-all and ended up having to start over twice. Didn't hurt the Droid at all, though. Has been running smoothly since rooting. Matth3w is correct when he says 99.9% of problems with the tutorial are caused by human error. If done correctly, you won't regret it.
  10. 52brandon

52brandon New Member

it's impossible to brick your phone. Worst case scenario you would need to download rsd lite and flash over the stock 2.0.1 sbf file and it'll be like day one out of the box... root away, just be patient and don't freak out if something doesn't work, its always fixable