rooting?

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR M' started by josh1980, Sep 15, 2012.

1. cubsfan187

cubsfan187 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    From what I've been told, don't expect root on this phone! A few reasons that keep getting mentioned:

1. The guy (Dr.Bliss) that did all the rooting of Moto phones, has stopped working on them.
    2. Apparently this is why they made the dev edition. So no one needed to find the exploit.
    3. Since there is a dev edition, there is NO NEED to root the regular non $600 phone!!!! That is BS if you ask me.

Hopefully someone that cares about us poor folks that can't spend $600 on EVERY phone that comes out will keep trying anyway and come up with a root method.

2. Alexx

Alexx New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Really?:angry: That is the worst news Ive heard yet today. I just picked up the RAZR M on sunday after relocating to a town that is dominated by verizon "Or so Ive been told", and was really dissapointed to see I there was no option to move Apps to the External SD card. And besides that, I was just starting to learn about building ROMS and was hoping to use my "Paid for" ROM TOOLBOX app on it.. I hope someone figures it out soon. Otherwise I may have to return it before the two weeks are up. Are there any new DROIDS better for rooting? thank you all for shareing.

3. mattlgroff

mattlgroff Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    You don't have to spend $600 to get root, you can choose another phone without a locked bootloader. Don't buy a locked device and expect root and roms that is absolutely silly.

4. josh1980

josh1980 Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I wouldn't necessarily expect a root within 2 weeks. I read somewhere that the person that used to come up with the methods for rooting the Motorola phones no longer has a Moto phone and won't be working on it anymore.

5. cubsfan187

cubsfan187 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well if you already have the phone, you can't just choose another phone then can you? Unless it's within the 14 day return period, you'd have to buy another one. So if you want root right now, you need to spend the $600 on the dev edition to obtain that. What I'm saying is this: not everyone can afford to buy the dev edition of a phone just to be able to change things in it. Imagine if Moto had done this with the OG Droid/D2/DX/D3/D4/Bionic and so on. There would be no need for websites like this as no one without a dev edition phone would have root access.

I don't think anyone EXPECTS root. But I personally don't think just because there is a dev edition of a phone available (for 3x's the price mind you) that the rest who can only afford the 'regular' edition should get left out. I wish I could be one of the guys that can spend $5k-10k a yr on phones like some do. (or have them bought for me or donated to me) But alas, I cannot. So those like me have to sit and wait patiently to see if one of the killer devs takes the time to find a root exploit for the rest of us.

People have said that this phone is a "throw away phone" and that it's just a "hold me over" phone until the next Razr drops. Well, I think if this phones was to get root, that would be a TOTAL LIE! This is seriously a great phone. I have the Gnex and the M is my wife's, but I can say this too, if there was root already for it, I would trade my Nexus for this phone. In a heartbeat! It's small, fast and has tremendous battery life. That may sound crazy to some but it's true.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  6. geoff5093

geoff5093 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +29
    Is the dev edition already rooted as well? I thought it just came with an unlocked bootloader.

7. syndicate0017

syndicate0017 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +48
    It comes with an unlockable bootloader. Not even the Nexus ships unlocked. All you have to do for the dev edition is fastboot OEM unlock and good to go. Then put on a custom recovery and flash an su zip. Ta da! Root!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

8. mattlgroff

mattlgroff Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    Yup :)

9. cubsfan187

cubsfan187 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I really hope there is someone working on this for us poor folk that can't afford the dev phone. :)

10. josh.lop6

josh.lop6 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was on the phone with Motorola today. I had been requesting a boot loader unlock code and had my device is. Even the unlock tool said my phone was eligible for an unlock. But since I have the xt907 and not the xt907dev model they basically tried selling me a dev edition. So on to trying to bypass or generate a code to get in. Seems like the only way we are gonna get root is to squeeze past the boot loader.. :/

11. cubsfan187

cubsfan187 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This may sound bad, but I'm not too concerned with the bootloader. I'm just hoping root comes to it. Having the D2 and DX, locked bootloader and all, that wasn't a deal killer. Yes it would have been nice to unlock it but I dealt with it. I'm hoping the same can be done here. Even though the only person that did root doesn't do it anymore. Its a great phone even without root. But would be better with it.

12. syndicate0017

syndicate0017 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +48
    Majority of the problem with gaining root IS the bootloader. Finding an exploit to push the binary to xbin is far from easy on a locked down device like Moto.

13. cubsfan187

cubsfan187 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That I understand. I just meant I don't really mind if the bootloader can't be unlocked on the regular M.

14. josh.lop6

josh.lop6 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It can. On any. Just good luck cracking the code on it. You just have to get adb set up with the ask tools and boot into fastboot. Then fastboot oem unlock (password). If you can get your total phone id then you can unlock it. For that use the command "fastboot oem get_unlock_data". If it pops up. Good luck generating your unlock code! And more power to ya!

15. josh.lop6

josh.lop6 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    There is already a flashable root.zip for the m. Just have to unlock the boot loader for that.

Search tags for this page

how to root droid razr m

is there a way tovroit razr m??
permission denied motorola razr m
razr m root manually
razr m root manually using adb
reset xt907 root counter
root razr m with adb
root xt907 jellybean root
ways to root motorola razr m
xt907 root