rooting?

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR M' started by josh1980, Sep 15, 2012.

1. josh1980

josh1980 New Member

So I just searched around and apparently there's no way to root the RAZR M yet. Is this true?
  2. FoxKat

FoxKat DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

That's quite likely correct. The phone is only days old, so it could be quite some time before we have a successful root. It's a rare situation where rooting is successful in such a short timeframe. Patience my son. :p
  3. guidot

guidot Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

It took months for a root method for the Droid 3 when it came out. But that was Froyo to GB with a locked bootloader. So we shall have to wait.
  4. mattlgroff

mattlgroff Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Getting the developer edition is the only sure way to know you will get root.
  5. josh.lop6

josh.lop6 New Member

So I have been trying to manually root it via adb, but I can't the mtp drivers to install at all. So the commands won't send right. The root any 4.0.4 build for the RAZR sends the commands but it just say permissions denied. Anyone else being adventurous? Pointers? Scorpion_mini is its code name lol
  6. syndicate0017

syndicate0017 Well-Known Member

I don't know your background on this kind of stuff, but unless you are really proficient in dev work and exploits, you won't be able to manually root it. That encrypted bootloader is no joke.
  7. josh.lop6

josh.lop6 New Member

Thanks for the input. I have experience with all the adb and computer programs. But these phones are a different world.
  8. FoxKat

FoxKat DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

But we're cheering you on!! :hail:
  9. josh.lop6

josh.lop6 New Member

Once I get the drivers to install correctly I'll try again.
  10. cydewaze

cydewaze New Member

11. cubsfan187

cubsfan187 New Member

I will also be keeping my eye on this. My wife just picked one up last Friday and loves the phone! She is coming from the D2 as well that was rooted and had all her pink meter/icons and wants those back...lol. Hopefully someone achieves root on this very nice phone. If I didn't get rid of the DX for the GNex, I woulda switched to this phone in a heartbeat.
  12. cydewaze

cydewaze New Member

Yeah, my D2 was rooted and had Libery3 ROM, and I loved it. I definitrly miss the tinkering already, so fingers crossed that we get some toys soon.

I wonder if doing an SBF would reset that root counter thing.
  13. josh.lop6

josh.lop6 New Member

A lot of the files are read only. I have 4 windows open digging into the read only folders exploring before diving in too far lol.
  14. josh.lop6

josh.lop6 New Member

Well phone rebooted.. as I was working with permissions to drop the su file in... stupid encrypted boot loader. I kinda want my D4 back.. :(
  15. cydewaze

cydewaze New Member

I don't get why they make it so painful. I mean, the percentage of people who root has GOT to be very small, and the whole point of the Android OS is to be able to do what you want with it. If I wanted this kind of a pain, I'd get an iThing.
  16. cubsfan187

cubsfan187 New Member

From what I've been told, don't expect root on this phone! A few reasons that keep getting mentioned:

1. The guy (Dr.Bliss) that did all the rooting of Moto phones, has stopped working on them.
    2. Apparently this is why they made the dev edition. So no one needed to find the exploit.
    3. Since there is a dev edition, there is NO NEED to root the regular non $600 phone!!!! That is BS if you ask me.

Hopefully someone that cares about us poor folks that can't spend $600 on EVERY phone that comes out will keep trying anyway and come up with a root method.
  17. Alexx

Alexx New Member

Really?:angry: That is the worst news Ive heard yet today. I just picked up the RAZR M on sunday after relocating to a town that is dominated by verizon "Or so Ive been told", and was really dissapointed to see I there was no option to move Apps to the External SD card. And besides that, I was just starting to learn about building ROMS and was hoping to use my "Paid for" ROM TOOLBOX app on it.. I hope someone figures it out soon. Otherwise I may have to return it before the two weeks are up. Are there any new DROIDS better for rooting? thank you all for shareing.
  18. mattlgroff

mattlgroff Premium Member Premium Member Developer

You don't have to spend $600 to get root, you can choose another phone without a locked bootloader. Don't buy a locked device and expect root and roms that is absolutely silly.
  19. josh1980

josh1980 New Member

I wouldn't necessarily expect a root within 2 weeks. I read somewhere that the person that used to come up with the methods for rooting the Motorola phones no longer has a Moto phone and won't be working on it anymore.
  20. cubsfan187

cubsfan187 New Member

Well if you already have the phone, you can't just choose another phone then can you? Unless it's within the 14 day return period, you'd have to buy another one. So if you want root right now, you need to spend the $600 on the dev edition to obtain that. What I'm saying is this: not everyone can afford to buy the dev edition of a phone just to be able to change things in it. Imagine if Moto had done this with the OG Droid/D2/DX/D3/D4/Bionic and so on. There would be no need for websites like this as no one without a dev edition phone would have root access.

I don't think anyone EXPECTS root. But I personally don't think just because there is a dev edition of a phone available (for 3x's the price mind you) that the rest who can only afford the 'regular' edition should get left out. I wish I could be one of the guys that can spend $5k-10k a yr on phones like some do. (or have them bought for me or donated to me) But alas, I cannot. So those like me have to sit and wait patiently to see if one of the killer devs takes the time to find a root exploit for the rest of us.

People have said that this phone is a "throw away phone" and that it's just a "hold me over" phone until the next Razr drops. Well, I think if this phones was to get root, that would be a TOTAL LIE! This is seriously a great phone. I have the Gnex and the M is my wife's, but I can say this too, if there was root already for it, I would trade my Nexus for this phone. In a heartbeat! It's small, fast and has tremendous battery life. That may sound crazy to some but it's true.
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
Search tags for this page

how to root droid razr m

is there a way tovroit razr m??
motorola xt907 wont start after rootng
permission denied motorola razr m
razr m root manually
razr m root manually using adb
reset xt907 root counter
root razr m with adb
root xt907 jellybean root
ways to root motorola razr m