Rooting?

misskassie11

Reaction score
I have a droid x and im kind of curious on rooting it. What technically is rooting? Is it like jailbreaking? Is it easy to do? And would it be recommended?

Thanks

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

cadre.9

Reaction score
That link explained how to root but didn't list any benefits to doing so. The whole rooting thing is confusing to me. Why would I deliberately void the warranty on a costly device just to have more control over settings?

cadre

A

abn75

You root so you can remove the bloat on the phone, over/under clock it, install roms, latest OS ie gingerbread etc.

sent from my GB DX

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
Better battery life and customization capabilities. But if you like your phone the way it is don't bother with rooting. It's good if you like messing with your phone.

Tapped from my Sourcerized D1

droid doctor

Reaction score
Makes having that phone for 2 years more bearable and easier to live with.

cadre.9

Reaction score
You root so you can remove the bloat on the phone, over/under clock it, install roms, latest OS ie gingerbread etc.

sent from my GB DX

Okay, I can see that. But what about the warranty issue? If something happens to your phone you can't return it to vzw for a replacement if it's rooted?

cadre

droid doctor

Reaction score
True but you can sbf back to stock and delete all the root files but its good to keep the insurance in case your phone gets lost or stolen.

A

abn75

Voiding the warranty is the choice you make to have complete control over your phone. If your warranty, or keeping it, is a big issue for you then do not root. If you root then accept the fact that hou will either have to fix your phone yourself if you can or purchase another one. Most who root feel the trade off is worth it, myself included.

sent from my GB DX