Rooting

beamer182

Reaction score
is there a .EXE file? all i see is a .inf file that doesnt have anything to install as a driver

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
That IS the driver. :)

I need to go work on cooking supper and stuff. I'll be back later to help out. Uninstall your phone from the device manager, then plug it back in, and when it asks about installing, try pointing it at that file (unzipped, of course) to install. Good luck. :)

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i'm trying to root my girlfriends lg ally. I have downloaded pdanet and have installed those drivers. also superoneclick 1.6.5 everytime i try to root it I get the waiting on device message. I'm not sure what else to do i've tried everything I know. I'm not going to be able to try again till friday to root but would greatly appreciate some ideas for when i do.
thanks!!

I had to run the superoneclick a couple of times. Reading the linked info I connected/disconnected/connected the phone from the computer a few times. i knew I was good to go once I could use use adb's devices command and see the phone was present at a command prompt.

Now I'm stuck because the drivers aren't on the laptop where i shipped the phone back too and pdanet can't locate the phone. doh:)

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ok..for this laptop (which I'm at the location of the phone and laptop tonight) the lg driver wouldn't work for Verizon phones. The pdanet driver also wouldn't install.

Drivers & Resources - LG Forum has a list of drivers. Looking around the web led me to try the Virgin Mobile G Ally usb modem driver. This made a bunch of little windows pop up "cartoon bubbles" show up on the task bar down near the clock. When it was down I tried ADB DEVICES again and the phone was seen. This would let others proceed to root it with superoneclick, For me it let me run pdanet one more time and this time it installed and I'm tethered through the phone as I type this on the laptop.
Good luck and hope this additional info helps.

beamer182

Reaction score
so now my question becomes, because the manual rooting does not work for me somehow, does the Eris 1 click rooting app from android market work?

beamer182

Reaction score
Well thanks for the help everyone. The unrevoked recovery didnt work, never got my PC to install the drivers correctly for some unresolved reason. anyhow, I used 1-click Root for Eris, and it worked perfectly. I then flashed KaosFroyo v39, and its running better than ever. ADW is a great tool, along with Ti Backup which allowed me to save all my apps via backup and now its like i didnt lose anything at all!
Can't believe I waited so long to do this, it was worth every second.
Rooting is the only way to go. Google struck gold. This is far better and more effective than Jailbreaking for the ipod/iphone.
Thanks again for the help everyone!
Any app suggestions are much appreciated.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Sorry to have lead you astray. I was under the impression -- and their site had me convinced -- that it would work for you.

But, hey, you're rooted now and that's the important part. :) Isn't FroYo awesome? :D

beamer182

Reaction score
No need for apologies whatsoever, you did what you knew! no shame in that! :D
YESS FroYo is insanely fantastic without a shadow of a doubt.
Have another question though, what is the best ROM to flash? meaning, what is the most visually appealing, user friendly and bug free ROM available?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
I honestly couldn't tell you, but since kaos is based on the CM 6.X branch, there may be a stock black theme built into it.

And ADW has free themes on the market you can flash on to help spiff things up. :D

The Eris never had much love for a variety of reasons, but you have one of the best ROMs there is on it right now. Check the Market for ADW themes and I'll talk you through getting them active if you want. :)

beamer182

Reaction score
Thanks a bunch for the list of ROMS mamawm :)
and, furbearingmammal, I really cant see why the Eris never got much love, it truly is a great phone once rooted. Besides a relatively slow processor and no flash, it works just perfectly for me. Anyway, the great part about ADW is you dont have to flash the themes, you just have to apply them as an overlay. I'm running a gingerbread theme right now which looks quite awesome i must say. in my next post ill attempt to include a screenshot. anyway, i just wish there was a way to change the color of the notification bar.