Rooting

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
@christim

Super one click worked flawlessly! I had to download the drivers seperatly awhile ago because pdanets a pain. But now I'm rooted and loving it again. Thanks so much!

Sent from my Ally using DroidForums App

Glad the post helped. I have found that Barnacle, and WiFi Tether for Root no longer works on this phone. I even located and tried the apk linked in post 13 here: Issue 559 - android-wifi-tether - LG Ally code support update needed. - Project Hosting on Google Code but that version also wouldn't work for me.

As this is for a non-mobile PC I'm recommending the route of PdaNet for who this phone belongs to. We won't have to worry about future updates messing with it, I hope. I do see the Mobile Hotspot app and don't recall seeing it before, not sure if that just got added and is playing havoc with the free wifi tether apps.

fallenshadow114

Reaction score
@christim

Super one click worked flawlessly! I had to download the drivers seperatly awhile ago because pdanets a pain. But now I'm rooted and loving it again. Thanks so much!

Glad the post helped. I have found that Barnacle, and WiFi Tether for Root no longer works on this phone. I even located and tried the apk linked in post 13 here: Issue 559 - android-wifi-tether - LG Ally code support update needed. - Project Hosting on Google Code but that version also wouldn't work for me.

As this is for a non-mobile PC I'm recommending the route of PdaNet for who this phone belongs to. We won't have to worry about future updates messing with it, I hope. I do see the Mobile Hotspot app and don't recall seeing it before, not sure if that just got added and is playing havoc with the free wifi tether apps.

Not really sure if your saying wifi tethers aren't working for the ally... if u are, I'm using wifi tether straight from the market and it works perfect!

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
@christim

Not really sure if your saying wifi tethers aren't working for the ally... if u are, I'm using wifi tether straight from the market and it works perfect!

Barnacle was working, that no longer does. Wifi from the market also won't work. Good to know it does/should work though. At least now I know it isn't the tethering software but something that has happened to the phone, thanks!

cubuff

Reaction score
lg ally help

i'm trying to root my girlfriends lg ally. I have downloaded pdanet and have installed those drivers. also superoneclick 1.6.5 everytime i try to root it I get the waiting on device message. I'm not sure what else to do i've tried everything I know. I'm not going to be able to try again till friday to root but would greatly appreciate some ideas for when i do.
thanks!!

beamer182

Reaction score
Hey there, I'm new to this-relatively. I know KIND of what rooting does for us, but not completely. What I'm interested in is whether or not it saves battery life and/or the responsiveness and speed of the phone itself. Overall, is it worth it to root, considering the possibility of BRICKING my phone? I have no warranty with Verizon.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
It's worth it to root. Period. As long as you're doing something you have to root in order to do.

Overclocking is quite possible on the Eris, which helps with the responsiveness, but not with the battery life. Once rooted you can flash on ROMs which can even give you FroYo, which will nearly double performance. Lots of good reasons to root.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Just remember that if you ever have to take the phone into a store, in case anything happens, you must unroot!

Sent from the Blue Falcon cockpit on my Fission 2.4.3 D2G

beamer182

Reaction score
ok

well then you pretty much convinced me. last question, whats the probablity of success, vs the probability of bricking my device?

and...if I get the answer i want out of the above question, what is the best way to root, any suggestions to very detailed instructions to root would be much appreciated.

beamer182

Reaction score
to root? thats the program?
what about the probability of bricking?

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Youre only going to brick your phone if you mess with system files/and something goes wrong. Just follow the instructions for stuff here in the forum and you'll be fine

Besides that a lot of market apps (for the poweruser) require rooting and have absolutely no harm for your phone,

Setcpu, droid overclock, wireless tether, systempanel, titanium backup, to name just a few

Edit; to clarify yes overclocking can harm your phone, so take some caution...

Sent from the Blue Falcon cockpit on my Fission 2.4.3 D2G

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
While I'm no expert on the eris, I have never heard of anyone bricking their phones running unrevoked. :) Some people have experienced some problems, yes, but they have always overcome them with some software tricks. Just read up on that page and give it a swing.

beamer182

Reaction score
so the issue is, when trying to load the HBOOT windows drivers, I got to the HBOOT screen on my phone, and the instructions said to wait for the phone to say HBOOT USB DEVICE, which it never did. further more, in the device manager on my screen under "Other", Android 1.0 showed up, but when I right clicked on the device, the "update driver" did not show up as an option, and so i could not load the bootloader. Help?