Rooting

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
You need a newer version of RSD. I believe its up to 4.9 now.

DroidForums Junkie!!

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Drum roll....

DroidForums Junkie!!

datsyuk

Reaction score
Not working -_- can't boot into Clockwork. Rooted and flashed in ROM Manager but I can't get it to get into clockwork.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Try installing SPR then CW It may take a few attempts

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
He's rooting a D2.
Just 86 ROM Manager all together. So, your not stuck at the M??? Go grab the D2 Bootstrapper and use that for CW.

DroidForums Junkie!!

fallenshadow114

Reaction score
Seems like the only thread dedicated to Ally 1-click roots is done with. So I'm starting this one. I apologize if that bothers people. I'm just wondering if anybody knows anything about z4root (ryanZa). Or any other rooting apps. Are they going to be updated for Ally 2.2.1 support? Are there any easy rooting apks out there already? Any suggestions (besides Tridents way on androidforums). I really miss my Ally being rooted. 2.2.1 froYo sucks! Thanks in advanced.

Sent from my Ally using DroidForums App

eddieorengo

Reaction score
I hear ya! This froyo garbage is killing me. Someone plaese help!!!

ViolentSage

Reaction score
Not sure about the model but isn't there a way to do it with rsdlite? Id steer clear of the one clicks. I find being in control when you are rooting essential. Plus, then you know the process and the fixes.

fallenshadow114

Reaction score
Not sure about the model but isn't there a way to do it with rsdlite? Id steer clear of the one clicks. I find being in control when you are rooting essential. Plus, then you know the process and the fixes.

I do agree with you but I've absolutely no problems with 1clicks in the past. And rooting the ally any other way is just a hassel.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Different manufacturers have different tools for burning images onto their devices. Moto's tool is rsdlite. An LG ally I previously rooted for someone arrived on my doorstep today. They took the update and lost root. I'll post back in this thread how I re-rooted it once I've done so.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
1.5 hours, not too bad.

History:
When I first picked this phone up for a relative I rooted it very quickly, in less than 30 minutes. Then I let it do an update. The root files were in place but they had the wrong permissions. I tried to root and was told I was and tried to unroot and was told I didn't have permission to do so. Grrr. 4 hours later the phone was re-rooted. This was back during the end of Thanksgiving week in Nov. 2010.

Last week I got the call that an update was taken, so I had the phone mailed to me.

The biggest problem this go around was trying to locate the USB Modem Drivers for the LG Ally (LG-VS740) phone that Windows kept telling me was missing. What follows it the order of the steps I took, which might not be the fastest steps to take.

1. [APP]SuperOneClick v1.6.5 (Root, Unroot, Enable Non-Market App, Get UNLOCK code) - xda-developers is where I got the SuperOneClick tool from. You need to have an account on the XDA forum to download the tool. I grabbed version 1.6.5, the latest release at this time.
  2. Following the directions at the above link I found the phone never connected. \
  3. Dropping to a command prompt I ran the adb devices command, from the folder I unzipped the tool into, and the device wasn't found. I was being bombarded by Windows wanting to install the driver...which it couldn't locate. The drivers available through the LG site were useless to me.
  4. PdaNet did the trick. I used version 2.4.5 and got the hint from here: LG Ally Forum ...link should bring you to post 5)
  5. Went back to the SuperOneClick tool and first ran the psneuter exploit and when that got stuck I ran the rageagainstthecage exploit (radio knobs for the two exploits are located in the upper right hand corner of the tool).
  6. I had to reboot the phone and then root was complete.

Shorter recap version: install SuperOneClick. If adb can't see your phone connected you probably have a usb driver issue. If so install PdaNet and only install the first usb driver, skipping the other drivers. Try SuperOneClick again, then reboot your phone once it says it ran ok.

I've got Barnacle running as a wifi tether app on this phone. It complained about a lack of root access prior to my post here, and Terminal Emulator also failed to give a # response to a keyboard input of su but both work now so root is attained.

With the above anyone should be able to root a LG Ally 2.2.1 android phone in about 15-30 minutes...good luck!

fallenshadow114

Reaction score
@christim

Super one click worked flawlessly! I had to download the drivers seperatly awhile ago because pdanets a pain. But now I'm rooted and loving it again. Thanks so much!