Rooting???

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Condel2011, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Condel2011

Condel2011 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What exactly is rooting and what does it accomplish?? If I rooted my phone does that mean if my phone breaks does my insurance still work?? Cuz u can hack the I pod touch and u lose the warranty if it breaks. Explain to me what this rooting thing does before I do it

Sent from my DROID2

2. adsfa34

adsfa34 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/632-what-root-means-stop-asking.html

For the D2, it's the same overall principle, but the risks are a little "higher". It's all relative to skill and confidence in your abilities. The D2 does not have a true custom recovery -- we instead have to use Bootstrap, the next best thing. It intercepts the boot process and "jumps in line" to get into recovery. From this you can mount your system, but just know that it's significantly riskier.

Things like flashing an sbf back to stock are not as easy (or even possible) if you get into big trouble, and some ROMs don't even support an sbf flash (btw do NOT flash a ROM that doesn't support sbf...BIIIG mistake, no ROM is worth that, I don't care if it cuts your grass for you.)

Recovery from boot loops and bricking is a little more interesting, and can be unrecoverable since the bootloader is Fort Knox-ed (locked/signed) and the stock android recovery is impossible to replace.

Just make sure to read up on all of the risks. Search is your friend (the thread I linked to was stickied...).

And yes, it does void your warranty with Verizon. So obviously, insurance is a no-brainer. Rooting is against the TOS of Verizon and Motorola, so it makes the loss from Verizon unrecoverable IF they find out your device was rooted. I say IF because you can UNroot your phone if you have "minor" issues, but that is both misleading and unethical, and you risk getting stuck with a $600 bill if they find out.

FWIW I'm rooted :)

3. Condel2011

Condel2011 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah ill pass haha

Sent from my DROID2

4. adsfa34

adsfa34 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Re-reading my first reply I said "insurance is a no-brainer"... I dunno if that came across how I meant it... but your insurance would still be valid. It just breaks your Verizon warranty; it doesn't affect your insurance as far as I know.

But yeah, if you're happy with your phone as-is, I'd hold off. Like anything else, there are benefits and drawbacks. Most of us here tend to think the benefits outweigh the risks. And, if you get the itch to root in the future, then there is plenty to read up on here at DF and you can get a mini-education on Droid hacking in only a few key posts. The support here is out-of-this-world awesome if you get into a pickle (doesn't mean they can get you out of anything, but darn close!)

Feel free to look around and make the choice for yourself. Droid 2 Hacks - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum I didn't mean to scare you off! :) It's just a lot of people do it and don't understand what they're doing. And having rooted my D2 myself, and having experienced lots of bootloops and fun stuff (and also seeing my D2 clocked at 1.4GHz posting up insane quadrant scores!), I will admit the D2 makes you sweat just a little bit more... ;)