Rooting

polecats03

Reaction score
I am no cell phone or computer expert and I was wondering how hard or difficult it was to root my droid x. I read some articles and how to things but the simple word "bricked" scares me.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
:welcome: to the Forum. Do you mind if I ask why you want to root?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Rooting itself carries little risk of bricking your phone. Its what you do after you root that can causee issues. Check the "multiple phones root them unroot them" link in my sig for instructions to see how complicated the process is and if you think you could handle it.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

scf

Reaction score
z4root seems to be the one tap choice. I rooted a while back, EZRoot or something like that.
After you root, and you want to do some of the 'root only' things, pay exact attention to the install steps. I'm no droid expert, and probably couldn't help you if you got stuck, but I've seen it over and over again. User complains that an install screwed up their phone. When the folks try to help them, it comes up that one or two steps were overlooked or ignored.
Rooting will void your warranty.

OP
P

polecats03

Reaction score
Um I want to install custom roms n themes. I guess you can make it more custom to ur linking.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Z4root recently got pulled from the marketplace and the only one that's left is the non english one. Not sure if that one works.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
P

polecats03

Reaction score
Im scared to risk bricking the phone. I guess the standard rom n theme is okay.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Do not use the non English version of z4Root. Too many problems.

scf

Reaction score
Thanks for the info!

My suggestion to the OP is to read...read...read. Look at some of the admins sig lines and follow the links to find out what rooting really is, it's advantages and fallbacks. Pretty much what I did when I first got my D1, then my DX. Now I've gained enought info to be more confident when moving from one thing to another on the phone.

mdorrett

Reaction score
Don't let the possibility of bricking your phone stop you from rooting. Rotting by itself like one of the other replies stated will not brick your phone. z4root is the best one out there at the moment and is available out there. I am sure I have a copy saved on my SD Card somewhere. It also is dependent upon what you are currently running at the moment. If you have not done th OTA update or bought your DX in the last couple of months the rooting becomes much easier. You could use UniversalAndroot. Now when you are installing custom roms you need to follow the devs instructions to the letter. Otherwise you will likely Brick your phone and need to SBF it in order to return it to stock out of the box condition. This process sounds hard but in fact is very simple. I have had to do 3 or 4 times in a day once. If you need some help or just wanna ask a question or two feel free to hit me up on GTALK [email protected] and yo9u can also head over to www.androidoes.net for full rooting instructions for your particular device. You can also hit me up there if need be. just go into the members introduction area and you will find me.

PS3Gamer

Reaction score
I don't see a need in rooting my new phone.. I've gotten the hang of it and understand mostly everything, but if I root my phone and void my warranty, there's no going back? (My only real question on this debate)

PS3Gamer

Reaction score
Thanks for the info!

My suggestion to the OP is to read...read...read. Look at some of the admins sig lines and follow the links to find out what rooting really is, it's advantages and fallbacks. Pretty much what I did when I first got my D1, then my DX. Now I've gained enought info to be more confident when moving from one thing to another on the phone.
I believe I will actually hack mine, sometime. I see this as a great place to read somebody elses successes or failures so I know if I can do the same.. I definitely do not want to run into ANY problems. Great advice. :)