Rooting you're phone

DigbyDNh

Reaction score
OK I see all these people talking about rooting there phones. Can you please tell me what it means/purpose to root you're phone and how it works.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Shimmy549

Reaction score
The simple explanation:

"Root" is gaining access to system files that the average, non-rooted user could not access. Those files are not accessible out-of-the-box for a good reason, though. Most people would screw up their phones if they could just navigate to those system files like it was nothing.

Rooting allows for increased customization of the phones, as well as making practical modifications possible. Some apps in the Market require root access, but they are there, which eliminates the need to tweak everything yourself.

Some tweaks/apps can enhance battery life; block ads from websites and free apps; install fonts; over/underclock your CPU (provided you have a custom ROM that can support overclock); install custom recoveries; prevent certain apps from launching at certain times; freeze/remove preinstalled apps; make backups of apps and much more.

I mentioned custom ROMs. With root access, you can flash ROMs (think custom launchers with many more features). You can only flash ROMs that are compatible with the phone you're using and not every ROM has the same set of features.

As beneficial as it can be, though, you have to be careful with root access. I don't want to write a book about it, but there are phone-specific explanations and methods available in all the major Android forums, usually available as Sticky threads. If you Google "Droid 3" and "rooting," you'll get links to plenty to forum entries that will shed more light on the procedures.

I'm sure someone else will post links to specific threads on one forum or another, but I learned the basics by Googling and piecing it all together. That worked for me.

Just proceed with caution and be prepared to do some problem-solving from time to time. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

OP
D

DigbyDNh

Reaction score
Thanks I kinda understand what ure talking about. I think I might have an actual person help me on this one so I don't screw it up lol. If u root urea phone and don't like it can u unroot it?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Shimmy549

Reaction score
Yeah, but short of just accepting a software update or flashing SBF (a complete wipe and restoration of the phone) and breaking root, I'm not familiar with the process. It wouldn't be hard to find out how to go about it, I've just never bothered.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk