Rooting without RSDLite again?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Se7enLC, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Absolutely not, this is news. Droid-life has good stuff. The old dm updater only worked on 2.0.1. This says it will root the X too.
  3. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

Yeah, I'm a fan of droid-life. Much easier than sifting through pages and pages of posts on a forum when you just want the good headlines. I was surprised to not see a link to a forum posting as a source - usually that's where their news comes from.

Anybody have any information on the exploit? It's gotta be something new, unless somebody reverse-engineered RSDLite...
  4. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

I looked at their site briefly but nothing jumped out at me about a new dm updater.
  5. wuyanks

wuyanks DF News Team Premium Member

check out our news section once in awhiledancedroid
  6. droidman101

droidman101 New Member

This is new, the new dmupdater app uses the dx root technique(which works on ALL android phones at this time) to root. :)SOOO, NO MORE RSDLITE NEEDED:D
  7. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

Until 2.2 comes out, which is any day now. For once, the massive delay by motorola/verizon to release an update is actually welcomed!

I have a back-of-my-mind theory that perhaps the exploit that allowed this was known for some time, but whoever found and exploited it decided to keep it under wraps until a new phone was released first, knowing that any known root exploit would end up being patched before a release. Pretty sneaky idea, if that's true. Also explains why the DX got rooted so fast.
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  8. droidman101

droidman101 New Member

they arent gonna patch it im sure, and if they dont this will work for froyo too XD
  9. christim

christim DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

This will make a few mac owners I know of happy:)
  10. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

I sure as heck hope they patch it. The first exploit at least required that you apply a hacked update.zip file, so there was some user intervention there. This is a one-touch exploit that looks like it doesn't even require a reboot. How long until "one-touch" becomes "zero-touch" and market apps start collecting their own root access and stealing passwords / emails / SMS?

I'm pretty sure that the apk won't root a 2.2 device. I tested it out myself by tapping "deny" when the app asked for root access and telling it to obtain root access (it errored out). Unsure of whether that means that the app doesn't work on 2.2 or that the exploit doesn't work on 2.2.
  11. paulhusker

paulhusker New Member

I noticed their root wasn't available for the Incredible...does anybody know if they have one?

Thanx!
  12. kellex

kellex Premium Member Premium Member

Haha I don't even know what to say to that. Really man? Sorry that you feel that way.
  13. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

huh?

I didn't mean it as a dig on droid-life - I read the postings on droid-life more often than any other site. It's the job of a news site like that to wait for news to become news before reporting on every little thing. I'm just surprised that there's no information on it anywhere else - most of the stuff on droid-life is citing xda or MDW as the source for an article. This article only references droidmod, but the droidmod site says nothing about it at all - it seemed fishy for something that big to come out of droidmod but for droidmod.org to be tight-lipped about it. Publicity fail.
  14. kellex

Obviously I'm a little biased, but I'd say we break more Droid news than anyone in the business. A lot of Droid Life watermarked exclusive images out there. :)
  15. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

I'll def give you the win in the dept of upcoming product leaks and insider info, and it's usually the place I first hear about development breakthroughs, too. That being said, I'm just used to seeing a lot of articles on there that say "source" and "via" at the bottom, so I see droid-life as more of an aggregator of news stories rather than a first-level source.

For example, when the droidX got rooted, droid-life had the news story, but included the link to the alldroid forum posting that it came from.

Root and Unroot Your DROID X with 1 Click | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

( I should re-iterate that I am an RSS subscriber to droid-life and I like the way it works. I get the important droid-related news stories with a link to the forum with all the details if I'm curious about the process the led up to it without having to read every "plz help me iz bricked" post in a dozen different forums )
  16. kellex

Oh I'm not trying to argue, as every blog can't break every single story, we just take pride in being a site that creates news or breaks it more than almost anyone. :)
  17. droidman101

droidman101 New Member

once again guys, they have the undercover story :)
  18. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

LOL, it's so undercover that the guys who wrote it don't even have it posted on their own site, yet!