Rooting with new JB update?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I know this may seem like I don't have faith in your ability to follow instructions (which is no the case), but even I overlooked this and kept having a fail.

When doing the RAZR_Blade exploit you must make sure the phone is NOT in "mass storage mode", or in other words, put the phone in "media mode" as I do.

Also, if you've already done the Smart Actions and you now have Battery Saver installed, delete it and try the hack again.

Otherwise, I've not had it fail yet.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

greyghost04

Reaction score
Thank you for trying to help FoxKat, but alas those are tips already taken. I haven't done a Factory Wipe yet. I do clear all caches. I wonder if this is the step I'm missing. Can't find that factory wipe in settings. Where did it go?

bocabean

Reaction score
Hy FoxKat,

I never really thought that I would cross the boundary into root land, but I'm there. I had posted about how long it had taken me to get my phone back to where I wanted it. The root process for me with Blade was actually very fast, probably less than 15 minutes. Restoring apps and data is what was time consuming.

I now have the Titanium backup installed, as well as WiFi Tether. Is ClockworkMod Recovery another good app to have or is there some form of conflict based upon how the device was rooted?

I am also reading from searches using "rooted, now what", etc. and I see that there is indeed a whole new world to learn.

Regarding the other person having difficulty, one of the things that I did before starting my root process was to remove any existing drivers on my computer, including drivers for my tablet, and then I reinstalled all of the Razr Maxx drivers again. I also made sure that each mode functioned (mass storage, media, and camera) before proceeding (using the proper mode of course).

Hope that's useful.

'Bean

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Thank you for trying to help FoxKat, but alas those are tips already taken. I haven't done a Factory Wipe yet. I do clear all caches. I wonder if this is the step I'm missing. Can't find that factory wipe in settings. Where did it go?

I'm disappointed to hear. Since I don't know what you've already tried, I went for the obvious and easy fails. Could you do a screen print of your "About phone" page (see below), and post it here? First press your menu button, then select "System settings", then scroll to the bottom and select "About phone". Then scroll to the bottom so we can see the kernel and do a screen shot (press and hold power and volume down). The shot will be stored in your gallery under "Screenshot".

ytejy5u3.jpg

Doings a wipe cache is a but involved, but I have instructions that I can post on how to do it from my desktop pc. In mobile right now, unless someone else wants to take a crack at it.

bocabean

Reaction score

When you start your phone holding down the power and volume buttons in order to get to the clear cache option ( in blue text), you will find it in that same group of choices. I am not describing this very clearly but I hope that you know what I am referring to.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

OP
B

brunla

Reaction score
So I finally rooted after 3 years of freaking out. The Razrblade method in this thread was pretty simple and went off without a hitch. The main reason I did it was for wifi tether.

What happens if I need to return the phone for some reason? If you do a FDR does it automatically unroot or is there a special process for that too?

greyghost04

Reaction score
I'm disappointed to hear. Since I don't know what you've already tried, I went for the obvious and easy fails. Could you do a screen print of your "About phone" page (see below), and post it here? First press your menu button, then select "System settings", then scroll to the bottom and select "About phone". Then scroll to the bottom so we can see the kernel and do a screen shot (press and hold power and volume down). The shot will be stored in your gallery under "Screenshot".

ytejy5u3.jpg

Doings a wipe cache is a but involved, but I have instructions that I can post on how to do it from my desktop pc. In mobile right now, unless someone else wants to take a crack at it.

My screen shot would be identical to yours down to the Build Date. Here is a copy of my log

Press enter to root your phone...

[*] Waiting for device...
[*] Device found.
[*] Phase one...
[*] Rebooting device...
[*] Waiting for phone to reboot.
[*] Phase two...
[*] Complete the following steps on your device:
[*] 1. Open the Smart Actions application.
[*] 2. Select Get Started.
[*] 3. Select Battery Saver.
[*] 4. Select Save.
[*] 5. Press the Home button.
[*]
[*] Press enter here once you have completed the above steps.

274 KB/s (3477 bytes in 0.012s)
[*] Rebooting device...
[*] Phase three (this will take a minute)...
failed on '/data/logger' - Permission denied
mkdir failed for /data/logger, File exists
Unable to chmod /data/logger: Operation not permitted
link failed File exists
[*] Rebooting device...
[*] Phase four...
1795 KB/s (91992 bytes in 0.050s)
2590 KB/s (1867568 bytes in 0.703s)
3576 KB/s (574184 bytes in 0.156s)
896 KB/s (63838 bytes in 0.069s)
[*] Cleaning up...
/system/bin/sh: su: not found
[*] Rebooting...
[*] Exploit complete!
[*] Press any key to exit.

Looks like the problems are on these lines:
ailed on '/data/logger' - Permission denied
link failed File exists

Any ideas?

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
My screen shot would be identical to yours down to the Build Date. Here is a copy of my log

Press enter to root your phone...

[*] Waiting for device...
[*] Device found.
[*] Phase one...
[*] Rebooting device...
[*] Phase two...
[*] Complete the following steps on your device:
[*] 1. Open the Smart Actions application.
[*] 2. Select Get Started.
[*] 3. Select Battery Saver.
[*] 4. Select Save.
[*] 5. Press the Home button.
[*]
[*] Press enter here once you have completed the above steps.

274 KB/s (3477 bytes in 0.012s)
[*] Rebooting device...
[*] Phase three (this will take a minute)...
failed on '/data/logger' - Permission denied
link failed File exists
[*] Rebooting device...
[*] Phase four...
1795 KB/s (91992 bytes in 0.050s)
2590 KB/s (1867568 bytes in 0.703s)
3576 KB/s (574184 bytes in 0.156s)
896 KB/s (63838 bytes in 0.069s)
[*] Cleaning up...
/system/bin/sh: su: not found
[*] Rebooting...
[*] Exploit complete!
[*] Press any key to exit.

Looks like the problems are on these lines:
ailed on '/data/logger' - Permission denied
link failed File exists

Any ideas?

Actually, those errors are simply telling you it was successful in copying them the first time, so each future attempt will result in the errors shown as it tries to overwrite them.

bocabean

Reaction score
Now I have a sense of relief because those errors appear to be the same ones that I could not save on my PC. At the EOD, it still worked.:)

greyghost04

Reaction score
Fox Kat,
I'm going to try again on my PC at work. I'e been using a Mac up to now. Where to I get the Motorola drivers to d/l to a pc?
Thanks in advance.

illustions

Reaction score
Jst one question do i have to use SQlite or can my friend continue using Foxfi???

cfitzh2o

Reaction score
Terrific! I have owned both the Motorola Droid and Droid MAXX and had not gone the root route until today and then I find that JB has been modified to exclude the hot spotbeing activated without a subscription from verizon. Is it possible to back out of the root proess? I used RazrBlade's process.

Thanks for any insight offered.
Chuck

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Fox Kat,
I'm going to try again on my PC at work. I'e been using a Mac up to now. Where to I get the Motorola drivers to d/l to a pc?
Thanks in advance.

You can download them directly from Motorola.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Jst one question do i have to use SQlite or can my friend continue using Foxfi???

Yes you must do the hotspot hack for wireless tether.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Terrific! I have owned both the Motorola Droid and Droid MAXX and had not gone the root route until today and then I find that JB has been modified to exclude the hot spotbeing activated without a subscription from verizon. Is it possible to back out of the root proess? I used RazrBlade's process.

Thanks for any insight offered.
Chuck

The hotspot works fine for me, using th e hotspot hack.