Rooting with new JB update?

brunla

Reaction score
Is there any difference to rooting with the official JB update compared to the update that has been floating around the last few months?
Was going to follow this instruction on youtube...
[video=youtube;XDV_72mPt4k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDV_72mPt4k[/video]

First time rooting so nervous!

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
The razrblade method works on both the leak and the official release. Nothing to worry about :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Worked for me :)

OP
B

brunla

Reaction score
The razrblade method works on both the leak and the official release. Nothing to worry about :)

Is that different from that video? The whole purpose is to be able to wifi tether.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Yep. Razr_Blade Root from Dan Rosenberg (RootMaster), is the bomb. It roots both the leaked and the new OTA versions of the RAZR Jelly Bean.

Here is a link to the Root Exploit Release and Discussion thread.

Here's the link to the actual root files:
Windows: http://vulnfactory.o.../razr_blade.zip
Linux: http://batakang.com/...blade_linux.zip
Mac: http://batakang.com/...r_blade_mac.zip

Instructions:

Windows-
-Download the zip file and extract.
-Connect device via USB (Make sure you have the current Moto drivers FIRST!)
-Make sure USB Debug is on
-Make sure you have Smart Actions fully installed, unfrozen and unmodified
-Make sure the phone IS NOT in mass storage mode
-Double click run.bat
-Follow the screen prompts
-Don't quit until instructed to do so

Linux/Mac-
-Extract .zip
-Open terminal and cd into the folder
-Run:

chmod +x razr_blade.sh
bash razr_blade.sh

To donate to Dan Rosenberg directly, click here:

Again, huge thanks to Dan for his diligent work!

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
In the video description he says he is using razrblade... So its the same thing. PDA net and foxfi don't work on JB though.

OP
B

brunla

Reaction score
In the video description he says he is using razrblade... So its the same thing. PDA net and foxfi don't work on JB though.

Yep... he has another video to get wifi working without Foxfi.

[video=youtube;X6nCcbJkngY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6nCcbJkngY&list=PLaPvcEA8BA-I4mODsZdh-OVm5EV0MHt9U&index=11[/video]

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Then you're set.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Is that different from that video? The whole purpose is to be able to wifi tether.

Nope, same package, but my links show who wrote it and give you the opportunity to show your appreciation by donating to him. Also, the links are direct to his hosts so you know you're getting the right file and with no errors/junk/viruses...

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
i'll be doing the sqlite wifi hack friday... big steps for one day.....215 to 211, took jb, rooted, and backed up.. thanx gocliffgo

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
also thanx for the really well put together thread foxkat

bocabean

Reaction score
Prepping for the razr_blade method

I just watched the video and it seems very straight forward, however I just want to get clear on a couple of things.

My phone received the OTA update a few days ago, along with everyone else. Prior to letting the update take place, I followed the advise by TisMyDroid and backed up both my internal and external SD onto my PC. I connected the Maxx in Mass storage mode and then created two separate folders on the PC for each SD. I used the old fashioned xcopy command in an administrator DOS window to copy over everything in tact with original dates, etc. (I also used the "/e" switch without the quote marks so that empty directories, if any, would also copy over).

I then let the update run and I found myself up and running on JB with all of my apps and data still in place...so far so good. But here's the question:

Should I first wipe the phone via an fdr and then run the root process? I noticed that in the video, the phone appeared as if it were right out of the box.

Assuming that you advise to take that route, what would be the next step after establishing root on the phone. The "safestrap", "fastboot", titanium backup strings have all become somewhat of a blur and I am just not clear as to what the next step (or steps) should be.

It just seems as if getting to root is similar to saying that I want a car. Now I need to know which "must have" accessories, as well as "nice to have" accessories should go with it.

As someone else on the website mentioned, this is a business phone and I want to do it once and do it right, particularly so that I can get the foxfi wireless equivalent up and running. My original concern was always to see if Webtop 3.0 survived past the JB update and I now that I know that it did, so I am finally ready to go. (Webtop even seems faster now).

Thanks as always,
'Bean.

bocabean

Reaction score
So I did it and now I am rooted. I used the Razr_Blade method and it was pretty straight forward. The only issue that I ran into was that at the very end of the process of the PC side, it did show a couple of errors before finally closing out. I was unable to take a screen shot at that point (and it was into the wee hours anyway and I was too tired to figure it out). So now I have Safestrap and SuperUser apps on my device, as well as BusyBox Free, all of which I have no idea what to do with them.

I find that some screens take a bit longer to open now. Shouldn't that be the opposite after rooting? Also, I re-installed my Astro File Manager, however when something needs to search for a file on an SD card, it no longer wants to use that as an option. That is also a bit confusing.

I guess the next steps are to get Titanium up and running and then get the root wifi tether working, which was the main reason for doing this. I reloaded all of my apps from the Play Store (except for one which came from Amazon). I should have been able to quickly import my email settings for MailDroid from backup, but that also turned out to be impossible, so I did each account manually.

Fortunately I took screen shots of my home screens and installed apps prior to going through this process, so that made it a bit easier to pick and choose what I wanted back and where to put them.

Now if I can figure out what to do with the backups that I made using TisMyDroid's method, that will be great.

This was more than a 24 hour cumulative project for me but hopefully it will have been worth it. Still have the same question of "what's next?..."

greyghost04

Reaction score
Am I the only one that can't get root to work? I have read how to use Razr Blade and LinuxMacUtlity on 3 different forums and watched 3 videos I could have made, as I've done it so many times. I have run RB & LMU 10 times in the last 24 hours. I have read and tried every tip from 3 different forums. Still at the end of the terminal log it's always can't find su. I have a OTA upgrade on a pretty clean phone. Verizon just sent me a free refurb because i screwed up the last one. After I got it, I did the OTA update. BTW, JB works great on this phone. I can't read another post on this. I read everyone 10 times. :blink:

Last edited: