Rooting Voiding the Warranty

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Twitch043, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Twitch043

Twitch043 New Member

Hello, everyone.

I have not rooted my 2.2 OTA [I felt compelled to say that] Moto Droid 1 [yet], but I was just sort of wondering since I couldn't find an answer anywhere. Rooting voids your warranty. Well, I don't know too awful much legal stuff, but... Even if the warranty is voided, you still have insurance, yes? I mean, for example I pay an extra $8 a month for the best insurance on my Droid [covering stolen, broken, malfunctioning, or lost]. But that's not the warranty, right? That's the like... 1-2 year long thing you get when you get the phone, or sign the contract or whatever.

Basically I guess I'm wondering if by SOME chance I were to brick my phone [which I've heard you basically have to TRY to brick your phone to actually do it, it's quite uncommon, but please tell me if I'm wrong], what I WOULD be covered for, since I have insurance. I don't know if rooting voids the warranty and insurance, or... Yeah.

So any help/answers would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  2. xconwayx

xconwayx New Member

Valid question. I just did some reading and found that a program was made to root and unroot your phone. Granted it's been done before, but this looks to be an all in one package. You can even just do a temporary root, which will reverse upon a reboot.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/75015-how-root-droid-2-2-out-rsdlite.html

So the chances are very minimal. Your insurance won't cover any of that as they would see it as damage by user. Saying it's stolen or lost would be insurance fraud and I am sure is looked down on the community.

So this seems fool proof and was even just featured on the front page. It must be pretty legit!

Best of luck!
  3. jstafford1

jstafford1 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Rooting voids everything. Insurance does not have to replace a rooted phone. Now that being said if you actually bricked it they would have no way of knowing and you could file a claim. But if you say you messed it up rooting it your claim will be denied.
  4. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford New Member

Rooting does void your warranty but it is really hard to do and there is a way to unroot and go back to stock if needed. Not real sure how Assurion works but I would think you are alright. I wouldn't go off telling them you are rooted but I would think insurance is legit I mean you pay for that. I think the only thing insurance doesn't cover is like radiation and war. Read that in the fine print somewhere but it has been awhile.
  5. Twitch043

Twitch043 New Member

Alright, thank you for your answers, guys.

Yeah, I actually just saw that article on the front page, downloaded and installed that Universal Androot thing or whatever it was called. I have not yet gathered the courage to USE it, but I do indeed have it. For some reason the fear of bricking or something is keeping me, especially considering that owning up to it is not enough, being 17 and having your mother pay for it [until I get a job, of course].

Sorry. Went off on a tangent a bit. But you guys understand, haha.
  6. kevdog

kevdog New Member

I would contend rooting actually is safer than the baseline non-rooted state? Why -- because with root you can back up your entire system and restore in case something goes wrong.

Lastly if you want to unroot back to stock -- do the rsdlite thing. You could even take back to store and they would never know.

And BTW -- no chance of bricking your phone trying to root. Its been done so many times its like idiot proof.
  7. Sniper_5

Sniper_5 New Member

If you damage your phone just UN root. If you brick your phone it won't matter if its rooted or not. My Buddy bricked his hero and it was repaired by htc under warranty. His phone wouldn't even turn on.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  8. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    Also, no matter what there are a lot of us here on the forums that can help you get out of most any situation. All you have to do is ask and someone will help you.
  9. ukyfan

ukyfan Premium Member Premium Member

I am curious about something. If you brick your phone and take it back saying your phone won't boot, won't they know what you at least tried to root it? I mean how many ways can you actually brick it without rooting it first?
  10. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

There are plenty of hardware malfunctions that will prevent a phone from powering up - thus bricked.
  11. Mbk

Mbk Android For Life Theme Developer Premium Member

If you have the $8/mo Assurion warranty, that covers accidental damage as well IIR....so..... if for some reason you actually render your phone completely useless and are worried whther they'd know you had rooted it..... just drop it in water, *water damage = warranty replacement phone*.... or am I missing something here?
  12. ukyfan

ukyfan Premium Member Premium Member

I am sure there are, but just how common is it? I am perfectly happy with mine so it isn't like I want to trade mine in, but just really curious.
  13. xkape

xkape Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Warranties and rooting aside, do you think Verizon wants you to be without a phone and possibly cancel service? I mean, if you root and the phone dies, how could anyine tell? If you aren't root, who cares its covered. If you root and return the phone just take the time to unroot of drop it in water or break it or seomthing.

If you are like me and don't have insurace just take it back. To me the insurance is useless. It covers water damamge but other than that, what really does it cover that Verizaon wont?

I just remember calling Verizon last year and said my phone is broke. No insurance. Lady just said we will send you a new one. Just put yours in the mail. End of story. New phone, done deal.
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  14. BigZig

BigZig New Member

Insurance is really for after factory warranty expires or water damage occurs and like mbk said oops dropped my phone I the toilet need to file a claim. But if you don't want to shell out the 90 bucks just unroot and take to vzw store ( factory warranty covers everything but user abuse and water damage) and every one is still under factory warranty because the phone has not even been out for a year yet.
  15. Twitch043

Twitch043 New Member

Well how could you unroot it if it's bricked? haha.

16. xkape

xkape Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Doesn't matter. If its bricked its bricked. If you can't undo it, neither can Verizon. Would prob have to go back to Motorola for a reflash. Either way, no ones gonna know what you did as long as you don't have any evidence on the SD Card.
  17. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

This is everyone's warning, please refrain from discussing anything that can be considered insurance fraud.

That is all :)
  18. vixir

vixir New Member

Is there any way for you to mess up your phone in an attempt to re-flash it? I need to reverse the root that I did on my DroidX, so that I can send it back once my new phone comes in the mail tomorrow. If I cannot seem to restore the factory settings, then I'll have to send a rooted phone. Obviously the manufacturer won't notice that the phone is rooted until they receive it, but once they do, what will be their next move? Lol One more question! Upon a friends advice, I installed SuperUser on my phone as one of the steps to root it. Unfortunately, I am unable to uninstall this program. Is there any other way to remove the app?
Search tags for this page
does rooting phone void warrant for physical malfunction
does rooting void warranty

does rooting void warranty verizon

does temp root void android warranty?
does temporary root void warranty
does temporary root warranty
does temporary rooting void warranty
does un rooting your phone still void warranty
hard bricked galazy s3 sch i535
rooted phone water damage insurance
temporary root can affect warrenty