rooting the s3

ubyte

Reaction score
I haven't gotten my phone yet (scheduled to be here tomorrow) put I was wondering what you guys are using to root them. I haven't rooted anything on ICS and have only used the Motorola root for my DX.

Relex

Reaction score
There's a guide with a video over on xda on how to root. I'm waiting for someone to crack the bootloader before I root.

OP
ubyte

ubyte

Reaction score
Relex said:
There's a guide with a video over on xda on how to root. I'm waiting for someone to crack the bootloader before I root.

Why? Other than loading a different ROM I don't see why you would wait.
I will check out the xda video.

OP
ubyte

ubyte

Reaction score
Thanks for the link Squeekybigfoot. can't wait to try it tomorrow.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Haha, the bootloader has not been "cracked."

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Exactly. Root and recovery is the "easy" part. The devs have accomplished a lot for the S3 in a short time, but an unlocked boot loader is still a pipe dream.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

JRParsons

Reaction score
Samsung will be offering a LTE version with an unlocked bootloader directly from them. They are calling it the "developer edition" gonna be $600.00

Beka27

Reaction score
JRParsons said:
Samsung will be offering a LTE version with an unlocked bootloader directly from them. They are calling it the "developer edition" gonna be $600.00

"B.S." sums it up well. I ALREADY OWN AN S3. THAT is the one I want unlocked. What good is a developer version when we've all already bought one?

I was annoyed by the BL issue before. But this recent "developer version" news straight up pisses me off. Why aren't all the carriers offering a developer version? (Oh yeah, that's right. They already have unlocked phones.)

I don't even know who to be mad at now. I was mad at VZW, but buying a retail "developer" phone through Sammy directly?! I think they're both in this together.

/rant

OP
ubyte

ubyte

Reaction score
I will say the developer edition is a great idea. I just don't think it would be long until the developer edition shows up on a torrent for the rest of us. 600 bucks.. Really? I wouldn't mind paying a couple of extra bucks but its OPEN SOURCE.

From what it sounds like I might have to hold up rooting until the issues are resolved.