1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Rooting the Droid?!?!?!???

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by yankees2009, Dec 26, 2009.

1. yankees2009

yankees2009 New Member

I know im a newb lol! But I was wondering where can I get a good Video on how to root it? because im worried of bricking it!! I JailBroke my IpodTouch and i love it and thats why I want to do the same for my Droid. But I cant find any good videos on how to do it fully explaing it giving me the proper instructions and the right things to press. so please if anybody could help me that will be wonderfull!! Thanks Everyone
  2. wil318466

wil318466 New Member

What you really need to do is stop using so many punctuation marks.
  3. yankees2009

yankees2009 New Member

lol do u know anygood videos though? becaue i cant find any to help me get started.
  4. CKyle22

CKyle22 New Member

5. sillyrabbitt123

sillyrabbitt123 New Member

---------------------
  6. Berzerker

Berzerker New Member

1. Download this
    2. Place it in the root directory of your SDCard
    3. Reboot into recovery mode by holding X on the keyboard during boot-up.
    4. Choose "apply update:update.zip"
    5. Reboot when it's done.

Done.
  7. Darkbleed

Darkbleed New Member

I really wouldn't recommend it unless you are okay with voiding your warranty and possibly rendering your phone inoperable. Before attempting a project like this, you should have a strong enough grasp of the concepts involved to not just start pushing buttons in a particular order, but to know what you are doing in each step and the significance of that step, an understanding of the benefits and drawbacks to using hacks, a specific set of goals you hope to accomplish with the device, a strong understanding of the risks and the drawbacks involved, and a willingness to accept that you may end up with a non-functional phone and no warranty replacement. If you feel even slightly uneasy or unsure on any of these topics, you are much better off leaving it alone.
  8. mrZoSo

mrZoSo New Member

Just follow the directions in the Root (2.0.1 only) section of the link CKyle22 posted above.
    Rendering your phone inoperable by rooting it is slim, unless someone hacked the update.zip file. Now on the other hand, what you can do once the phone is rooted, can brick your phone if your not properly prepared, like getting the recovery-image on there and doing a full nandroid backup, before attempting to mod/hack.
    As far as voiding your warranty, yes rooting does this, but you can simply apply the "official" 2.0.1 update to un-root it and now the warranty is not voided any more ;)

Rooting alone is not going to do anything for the phone, what it does do however, is allow us to mod/hack the phone.
    Not to sound judgmental, but if your having some difficulty understanding how to root it, I would take the advise that Darkbleed has given, because most of the mods/hacks are much more complicated.
  9. yankees2009

yankees2009 New Member

Hey BerZerKer is that all I have to do?? And how long does it take to root?