Rooting the Droid X?

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well the good news is tonight we were able to load a custom .sbf onto the droid X.

The bad news is it bricked it, or efused it.

did you have an original sbf to restore it?

I thought birdman said he had the last 2-3 official bootloaders. Wouldnt that be able to bring him back? Or, would the recent OTA help bring it back? Now that root is here, can we be able to find the update.zip on the phone now?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Now that someone has Rooted the DX, what's going to happen to all the money that people donated for the various phone hackers that either didn't get enough $$ to purchase a DX, or that got the phone but didn't figure out how to Root it in time?

Reaction score
Donate it to those who did, or send it to a charity would be my thoughts.

I'd love to believe that, but I would bet money that they are keeping the money and/or phone(s). Just proves my point made a few pages back about the whole thought of PayPal donations being shady to begin with.

Muertamas

Reaction score
Now that someone has Rooted the DX, what's going to happen to all the money that people donated for the various phone hackers that either didn't get enough $$ to purchase a DX, or that got the phone but didn't figure out how to Root it in time?

Well since the phone was only rooted, but the bootloader has not been cracked yet, I would imagine that Droid X's would be needed to test the de-encription of the bootloader so that we can install custom ROMs.

And since this is more likely to brick a phone...those phones will be put o good use.

balticzar

Reaction score
Wait a minute...we have Root but we have to wait to get access to the bootloader for custom ROMs. Cool. No problem. I love custom ROMs but I can patiently wait for that as well as overclocking.

What I wanna know is...can we install FROYO with this root access? I sorely miss my flash capabilities for web surfing. Anybody know?

mazz0310

Reaction score
Wait a minute...we have Root but we have to wait to get access to the bootloader for custom ROMs. Cool. No problem. I love custom ROMs but I can patiently wait for that as well as overclocking.

What I wanna know is...can we install FROYO with this root access? I sorely miss my flash capabilities for web surfing. Anybody know?

Nope, the bootloader blocks any update.zips

mcsinfl

Reaction score
i still think we need to get the phone into the hands of as many developers as we can. considering it's the same bootloader as the motorola milestone in europe, and they still haven't hacked that bootloader over the past year, I'd rather not put all my eggs in one basket/programmer

wsbsteven

Reaction score

Quick answer is no, there many be certain elements of it (apps) that we can install on ours but the core parts of it would need access to the protected area.

mazz0310

Reaction score
i still think we need to get the phone into the hands of as many developers as we can. considering it's the same bootloader as the motorola milestone in europe, and they still haven't hacked that bootloader over the past year, I'd rather not put all my eggs in one basket/programmer

I think everyone is afraid to screw around with the bootloader without a proper sbf to fix bricks.

JR Cease

Reaction score
The Droid X has been ROOTED!

Today, Birdman had successfully ROOTED the Droid X. It's just a matter of time before every does. Check out the VIDEO to see how.

FSRBIKER

Reaction score
I will have a new developer donation link up soon, he is well known on this forum! Your right the more developers working on hacking the Droid X the better.

mcsinfl

Reaction score
I will have a new developer donation link up soon, he is well known on this forum! Your right the more developers working on hacking the Droid X the better.

new developer link? i'm curious and will be looking for it. on this forum?

Cracker

Reaction score
I realize that I'm likely to get flamed needlessly for asking these questions, but:

1. Why would anyone donate money to someone that they don't even know in the hopes that they can hack the DX? Seems to me that if they were really that good, they would get their own DX themselves and be able to "un-brick" the phone during the process.
  2. If FROYO is due out from Verizon/Motorola very soon on the DX, why is it that everyone wants the DX Rooting figured out so soon?
Please don't misconstrue my post as attacking anyone, I merely just don't understand. Please feel free to help with my Android Education! :)
Alright, I don't think anyone really answered this adequately. So I'll put my professional lurking career aside for a second to tackle this.

1. This is an open source community. No one charges anything. If we didn't donate, nothing would really happen. A lot of these "devs" are bored college kids making things on the side for extra coinage. If they're loaded or not, I have no idea, doesn't really matter. They have already made things that we all use and will continue to use, so we pay them back. There's now a new feat for them to conquer, so we're supporting them in doing so. If you follow this site it's not as unconnected as you make it sound. The developers are heavily part of the community, they work with everyone and give us what we want, and the non shisty people then donate in thanks.
You said you're an IT, so just relate it to microsoft vs linux. They work off two WHOLE different concepts. You're bringing a microsoft mindset into a linux world.

2. I didn't buy the phone, but if I did you want it cracked before a new one comes out. If it isn't cracked soon enough, everyone will just roll over to the new phone and leave you in their wake. The biggest part about custom roms to me is the longevity it gives a phone. In a few months a company will give a rats ass about its broken promises and only worry about future phones. You're now stuck with the phone for another year waiting for your upgrade. When if it's cracked you still get the updates before the company even releases them, killing a lot of the headache of having old things and saving you from spilling out a few hundred pointless dollars. (Rooting and Roms are two different things, Roms requiring getting past the encrypted bootloader are the biggest problem.)

And to cover everyone's dismay, Motorola came into a OS part of the market and added an encryption. That doesn't go over smoothly. I don't see a problem with this as it is their product, just so as I make the decision not to buy it. And someone might want to correct me on this, but I think Motorola is part of the OS phone agreement (don't know the actual name for it, but close enough.) Kind of ass backwards to call yourself OS then throw an encryption on your product.

FSRBIKER

Reaction score
Cracker what a great response.
Here is the link to the OHA, Open Handset Alliance: Open Handset Alliance

I agree that they locked software that was not theirs, they might have added their splash of NinjaBlur on top but the core of the software was free for them to use and should be left accessible for everyone.