Rooting the Droid X?

713King

Reaction score
Plus it can be tweaked to save battery and manyy other things like messing with hdmi out to show the phone on the tv/computer screen and remove bloatware

wardo5757

Reaction score
I don't know if I would say they are doing something wrong or unethical, but really unpleasant. My question goes to why they feel the need to lock it down. Does Moto lose money each time I switch out a ROM, I don't think so. They have sold me a product and made there money on it, why can't they let me use the product they way I wish to. Tell me I have voided my warranty and that they will not support it modified, fine with me, that's fair. Take for example Tivo. They seem to have always had the stance: We sell a piece of hardware and a service. You can do what you want to the hardware as long as your not stealing our service (monthly money). Again I have no problem with that!
I hope this helps you understand why some people are not exactly happy with Moto and the new X

dTardis

So basically, it upsets those that Root/ROM and the "Rooters" really don't have a leg to stand on except for saying "I am not happy with you and won't buy your phone/product because of this." Would that be a fair assessment?

Look at it this way; do you think Microsoft would be as big as they are if they required computer makers to lock the boot log and make it impossible to load alternate OS's on that computer? I dont think that would fly with many, Apple/ Mac did this, and they only have 5% of the computer market, and Iphone is on its way down also.. Moto did not build the os, they built the phone, let me put whatever OS I want on it!

rcklss1

Reaction score
The fact is you bought the product... paid for it you should be able to do what you want... you should not be forced to keep it the way it is. Its not a question of protecting an ip its a matter if customizing.. i would like to take a screenshot of my device from my device on the fly and not be tied to a computer... id like to not use all my phones memory to store apps (on 2.1 and below devices), id like to have a black or smoked look to my taskbar and input windows instead of white... and god knows how many other things i would like to do that is made possible by rooting... What ip is moto protecting by locking the phone down? Nothing I've mentioned is stealing anything from moto just simply making a great device better...

For me its like a car I have a brand new one Some mods done but I'm paying for the car its my right to do what I want to it within state regulations the only downside I have to accept is that the manufacturer may consider my warranty void... Just because I modify it doesn't mean I'm stealing the manufactures idea to make a pretty much identical car.. I'm doing it to make it better in my opinion... same as rooting

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

SteveC

Reaction score
@SteveC: I think the widely accepted reading for why the Fascinate isn't coming out till fall is because Verizon wants to push the Droid X right now and don't want to needlessly create their own competition. The bootloader is not a malfunction at all. It is a clearly devised security implementation by Motorola (requested by Verizon). And I think Samsung will not (dunno why but probably cause Samsung isn't as needy to please Verizon as Motorola is since Moto was nearly bankrupt till the Droid) have a locked bootloader cause I hear the other Galaxy S line phones are already rooted.

By Malfunction I was meaning a Motorola Corporate malfunction in regards their decision to lock the bootloader. Should have been clearer. I recognize this was a first degree (with malice and forethought) decision and a very deliberate and deliberately insidious action.

I still wonder about the role of Verizon here. I still think they look at wireless tethering on Verizon phones as revenue they are potentially loosing.

On to thoughts from other posts here. I've looked at the Droid X several times lately. It is a good phone and frankly if the original Droid would have had a faster processor and some more memory the rooting may have been less necessary. I suppose I'd get by just fine with the X. However it will not put my rooted overclocked Droid to shame at all. In fact my Droid with any of several 2.2 ROM's kicks the X by 300-400 points on Quadrant (to the absolute flabbergasted amazement of the local VZW reps in the store), and quite obviously runs the benchmark faster and smoother. I have the Chevy #1 1.2 MV kernel.

I have some problem with those who poke fun at the minority of us "Rooters". I realize most people have no need or want to change anything on their phone and will be content with whatever it is Moto thinks you should be happy with. I came to Android from Windows Mobile. Didn't like what Bill Gates thought a phone should be. I don't like Steve Job's attitude either and will never have an iPhone. Android was a pretty liberating experience in the Droid. If I am going to pay several hundred dollars for a phone and hundreds more to Verizon over the length of my contract for the privilege of using the thing, then it should be MY CHOICE what I have on it, as long as it is legal and does not infringe on IP issues.

So I'm waiting for a Samsung Galaxy/Fascinate. If I don't like it new phones and better phones are not far off. So for now the Droid still does.

So yes it is likely a "fair assessment" that if we don't like something such as the Droid X with the locked bootloader, we will buy what we can that does what we want. Just as you are free to buy the "sheeples version" with the perfect right to full enjoyment of the device. This is really as much of a freedom of choice issue as anything else. You either understand that or you don't.

Last edited:

Elkay

Reaction score
The funniest part is that you can tether with Bluetooth out of the box right now, even after their first update. Either they don't read the Interwebs, or that isn't as much the reason as we think.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The funniest part is that you can tether with Bluetooth out of the box right now, even after their first update. Either they don't read the Interwebs, or that isn't as much the reason as we think.

whats interwebs?

lol but yea im surprised they missed this/let this slide

and i got a mac! bluetooth all the time :)

kman79

Reaction score
Not backing Motorola by any means, because I do want my droid x rooted as well.

But reasonable thinking tells me that Motorola Locks down the phones to keep users from trying to claim warranty repair/replacements caused by custom ROMs or Kernels frying the SoC due to extreme overclocking or other things.

I have no doubt in my mind that the processor in the Droid X could be clocked higher than 1ghz, but it's kept at 1ghz for the sake of battery life and longevity of the product.

It's similar to how some car manufacturers claim that modding anything in a car voids your warranty, but the truth to that is, the only warranty that is void is on the part that was modded, and not the whole car. Its a bit harder to prove to motorola that the cause of the fried SoC/Processor is not because you overclocked it too much but a manufacturer's defect.

I understand all points here, to simplify the matter, it'd be nice for motorola to say "Here, we'll unlock the bootloader on your phone, but if anything goes wrong with the phone, its not covered by warranty, and you're on your own."

I owned the Droid, and I had it OCed as well to 1.2Ghz, it ran fine with no issues except for reduced battery life....never did I hear of one user claim to have destroyed their phone due to OCing it, but the possibility is there, and that's enough to warrant motorola to lock the bootloader in my book.

Again, I'm all for root access and full control of the phone, but for people to say that it's not right for motorola to do so, I don't completely agree. If you have full access to the phone, you have a great potential to F U C K stuff up, and the first thing most will do is try to get warranty to cover it, when it wasn't a manufacturer's defect that caused it.

Flame me if you want, I'm sure I'll get shiet for this, just my .02 cents.

Last edited:

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Well the good news is tonight we were able to load a custom .sbf onto the droid X.

The bad news is it bricked it, or efused it.

FSRBIKER

Reaction score
GREAT NEWS!! The Droid X has been rooted as per Birdman on Twitter "DroidX is rooted, I'll have a guide and files up as soon as possible"

FSRBIKER

Reaction score
Well the good news is tonight we were able to load a custom .sbf onto the droid X.

The bad news is it bricked it, or efused it.

did you have an original sbf to restore it?

Birdman mentioned the person who bricked it can still get into the bootloader so there should not be a problem...I guess he just tripped the fuse that's all.