Rooting Question

PARick

Reaction score
I know the answers to this wil be a tad biased:). I had a rooted droid 1 for about a year. About a month or so ago I got an X, and have been generally pleased. But, I am starting to get that rooting fever again! Those of you who rooted, have you noticed a considerable speed difference with your X after rooting? Also, after just paying for SPB Shell, and liking it, does anyone who is rooted use it? if so does it work well? thanks for any input.

jonathon1289

Reaction score
If you strictly root, you probably will not notice a speed difference. But if you use the root capabilities and remove all of the bloatware (freeze or uninstall) you will see a difference. And if you go further and overclock or anything......

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Root and install an AOSP ROM and ditch MotoBLUR. Its super fast

Apex 2.0 Revolution

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yup, root, overclock, freeze bloat and you'll be fine. i used SPB shell but it was a little laggy. Its an amazing looking launcher and I loved the animated weather and widgets but the lag and battery drain was a pain.

ABQNM

Reaction score
I used SPB shell on my rooted 596 but it was a little slow at times and with all the blur framework eating up memory, it was a bit less functional than I would like (when android killed it for memory, it took forever to reload). It was pretty good on ApeX 2 RC2, but it really runs quite well on CM7, since CM7 has no blur framework at all eating up the RAM. Also, root doesn't make it faster, but you can overclock which will. Also ApeX is faster than stock and CM7 makes stock look like Windows 3.1 by comparison.

OP
PARick

PARick

Reaction score
I used SPB shell on my rooted 596 but it was a little slow at times and with all the blur framework eating up memory, it was a bit less functional than I would like (when android killed it for memory, it took forever to reload). It was pretty good on ApeX 2 RC2, but it really runs quite well on CM7, since CM7 has no blur framework at all eating up the RAM. Also, root doesn't make it faster, but you can overclock which will. Also ApeX is faster than stock and CM7 makes stock look like Windows 3.1 by comparison.

Thanks all. I am waithing for Chevy to wok out the bugs on his SS then use it. Since it is built off of CM, it should be good. I hate to invest $15 in a launcher and not use it :)

ABQNM

Reaction score

Thanks all. I am waithing for Chevy to wok out the bugs on his SS then use it. Since it is built off of CM, it should be good. I hate to invest $15 in a launcher and not use it :)

It has improved quite a bit since day 1. It runs very smooth and fluid. I personally think it is a little heavy on RAM for our devices (4-5 times that of most launchers), but it does run well. The initial load each time does still take about 30 seconds to load, but if it gets killed by android, the re-draws are not as bad as on stock. Still a few second delay though. I like it, but I use a lot of apps, and I would rather have at least 768MB ram to run this, but that is just me. I am not saying by any means that it runs poorly, but I like to have 1-200MB "free" at all times.

OP
PARick

PARick

Reaction score

It has improved quite a bit since day 1. It runs very smooth and fluid. I personally think it is a little heavy on RAM for our devices (4-5 times that of most launchers), but it does run well. The initial load each time does still take about 30 seconds to load, but if it gets killed by android, the re-draws are not as bad as on stock. Still a few second delay though. I like it, but I use a lot of apps, and I would rather have at least 768MB ram to run this, but that is just me. I am not saying by any means that it runs poorly, but I like to have 1-200MB "free" at all times.

Fantastic! Thanks, so you still use CM7?

ABQNM

Reaction score
Yeah I use CM7. I am currently on nightly 25. There are a few minor issues here and there, but nothing that makes it un-usable or even bothers me enough to change. This ROM is fantastic and it is only getting better.

I used SSX for 2 days before CM7 and it had some nicer features and is based on CM7, but I found any build.prop edits, including just the LCD density, broke the settings menu on the phone. Changing ANY settings on the phone required a reboot to take effect. I see no reason to leave CM7 anytime soon (save for maybe a certain soon to be released moto phone).