1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Rooting question from a computer-dumb user

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by LMac8806, Apr 29, 2010.

1. LMac8806

LMac8806 New Member

I've read a lot about rooting and I'm definitely interested. I'm not asking "should I root" per se...I'd just like to know is this something your average joe can manage once the rooting is done? It seems that rooting isn't that difficult with some of the guides that are posted on the forums. However, I'm under the impression that you must be computer-savvy to make rooting worth your while once it's done. Is the customization you can do pretty technically deep, or are there apps to make things simple? I don't want to jump into this thinking it's all fun and then be completely lost, so I figured I'd check here first. I love some of the custom looks, and I'd really like to OC. Thanks in advance!
  2. pc747

pc747 Administrator Staff Member

Nope......I am no where near a hacker. I have a windows computer for a reason. Because it does what I want when I click the icon.
    Nuff said.
  3. pc747

Ima copy and paste what I said earlier:

Rooting gives you superuser control to add or change things on your phone that normal users can not. A rom is sort of like a video game and the phone is the system. Anytime you put a different rom on your phone your phone will run it in that manner. Ie If someone made an eris rom then the droid would do every thing and act like an eris (a much faster eris because of it having better hardware.
    With Roms, devs take things from diffrent phones and combine them to create a better user experience. The problem is that some times different programs in the rom may not interact well causing lag or worse boot loops.
    You can also just root to add kernels to boost the speed of ypur processor (this is what overclocking does). My device is running the 2.1 ota but is overclocked to over come the lag that people experience with the official 2.1.
    You already know about wifi tethering
    There are more goodies that come from rooting your device; ie titanium backup (backs up apps and data) but rooting is not the end all solution. If you run a Rom that is a bad rom or that does not work well with your phone you may experince boot loops (where your phone keeps rebooting and), or have your phone not load past the M.
    I suggest 4 things before rooting:

1) Read, Read, Read
    2) know what you are doing before you root, do not just rely on rom manager
    3) make sure you have 50% or more battery life, as you know your battery does not go yellow in the notification bar until you are at 30%. So I suggest getting a battery widget or something to ensure you have enough battery life.
    4) Wipe data and cache when installing a new Rom.
  4. LMac8806

LMac8806 New Member

Ok, after checking a couple guides, maybe I'm not even smart enough to root. Seriously, I know basically nothing technical about computers.

I just want to OC and do a little customization :blink:. Maybe rooting isn't for me.
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  5. pc747

That is why we are here to help those feel comfortable about rooting.
  6. pc747

The number 1 important thing is to ensure you have battery life at least 50%. I recommend a battery widget because you need to ensure you have at least 50%.
  7. LMac8806

LMac8806 New Member

I'm checking the guide(s) at the top of this page, and although I'm sure they're incredibly simple they still sound complicated and completely foreign to me. Like, I couldn't even tell you if I'm supposed to have my phone plugged into PC, charging, should I download the files mentioned on the phone or PC, etc etc.

By the way, if at any point I ask a question that makes you think "this guy does NOT need to be trying to root", just tell me so LOL. I don't get my feelings hurt easily :).

This all just sounds very complicated...if I have to start typing in any commands or messing around with files too much, I figure I'm into something that's over my head and usually give up :p.
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  8. pc747

I am going to paste some video tutorials
  9. LMac8806

LMac8806 New Member

Sounds great. I'm sorry to be so much trouble. I just feel like I'm seriously missing out on the Droid's full capabilities by not being rooted.
  10. pc747

By the way droidlife made them so they deserve the thanks

There are two ways to do this. You can follow it exactly like they show it but the problem is it will show petes name on the bottom.
    Or you can go the longer way and it will not show petes name.

I will show you the first method.

ideo: Flashing SPRecovery SBF to Stock 2.1

On 04.13.10, In Root (unlock), Tips, Videos, by Kellex

Less than a week after the DroidMod team ruffled some feathers with their announcement that a real 2.1 root exploit would likely never be found, they come through with a method that’s almost as easy. The process involves using RSD Lite and the flashing of an SBF file (which you might be shuttering at), but is only changing the recovery image of your phone and as far as I know, is much less risky than flashing the full 2.0.1 SBF which was previously mentioned. Let me try to explain this.
    If you go through with the process I’ve outlined below and in video, your phone will NOT be rooted, but will have SPRecovery installed instead of the stock Droid recovery. So why is this good news? Because SPRecovery will allow you to flash a 2.1 custom ROM which will give you 2.1 root access. That make sense?
    Recap: This process will NOT give you root access to 2.1, but will allow you to get there much easier than previous instructions. When we are finished, this process will give you the opportunity to flash a custom ROM which will in turn, give you root access. (Yay!) Now please read the warning.
    *Warning* – The process we are about to layout is extremely risky. If you choose to do this, we are not liable should you brick your phone or cause any sort of permanent damage. If you do harm to your phone, please do not email us asking for help as you have already been warned and accept all risk involved. Cheers!
    Initial steps…
    1. Download the SPRecovery SBF: SPRecovery_ESE81.sbf
    2. Place the file somewhere other than your desktop.
    3. DO NOT RENAME OR ATTEMPT TO UNZIP OR ANYTHING.
    Video instructions…
    Step-by-step instructions…
    1. Remember this post? Well we’re back to it only simplifying.
    2. Download your correct Motorola USB drivers and install. (32-bit) (64-bit)
    3. Download and install RSD Lite 4.6. Link to download at this post.
    4. Connect your phone to USB and turn it off.
    5. Open RSD Lite (run as administrator).
    6. Slide open your keyboard, hold up on the d-pad, then the power button for 5 seconds and release.
    Your phone should then boot to a black screen which is your bootloader.
    7. Click the … next to the filename box and browse to where you saved the SPRecover_ESE81.sbf file.
    8. Double click and open the file.
    9. Click “start” and allow the SPRecovery SBF to flash. This should not take long.
    10. Allow for your phone to reboot and for RSD Lite to show that you are 100% and completed.
    11. Close RSD Lite and disconnect your phone. You are done.
    What about root and custom ROMs?
    Your phone is now still sitting at official stock 2.1, but has SPRecovery as your recovery image. This is great news as it will allow us to install a 2.1 custom ROM with root access. If you are familiar with flashing ROMs manually in SPRecovery, go for it!

Video: Installing Stock 2.1 With Root Access

On 04.20.10, In Root (unlock), Videos, by Kellex

Last week I posted the video on how to install a custom ROM through SPRecovery and it seemed to be a success. However, there were still quire a few of you out there that like the stock Droid look and wanted an option to keep but also have root access. So here we go!
    *Warning* – The process we are about to layout is extremely risky. If you choose to do this, we are not liable should you brick your phone or cause any sort of permanent damage. If you do harm to your phone, please do not email us asking for help as you have already been warned and accept all risk involved. Cheers!
    Instructions…
    1. Flash the SPRecovery SBF file.
    2. Download this file to your computer: ESE81update.zip
    3. Follow this video… (Give it time to process, it’s HD people.)
    *Note 1* - You will find a ton of information on overclocking and kernels at this post.
    Questions or comments? Drop them below!
    Credit: Koush for hosting the file in ROM Manager and to Pete for creating it.
  11. pc747

By the way droidlife made them so they deserve the thanks

There are two ways to do this. You can follow it exactly like they show it but the problem is it will show petes name on the bottom.
    Or you can go the longer way and it will not show petes name.

I will show you the first method.

ideo: Flashing SPRecovery SBF to Stock 2.1

On 04.13.10, In Root (unlock), Tips, Videos, by Kellex

Less than a week after the DroidMod team ruffled some feathers with their announcement that a real 2.1 root exploit would likely never be found, they come through with a method that’s almost as easy. The process involves using RSD Lite and the flashing of an SBF file (which you might be shuttering at), but is only changing the recovery image of your phone and as far as I know, is much less risky than flashing the full 2.0.1 SBF which was previously mentioned. Let me try to explain this.
    If you go through with the process I’ve outlined below and in video, your phone will NOT be rooted, but will have SPRecovery installed instead of the stock Droid recovery. So why is this good news? Because SPRecovery will allow you to flash a 2.1 custom ROM which will give you 2.1 root access. That make sense?
    Recap: This process will NOT give you root access to 2.1, but will allow you to get there much easier than previous instructions. When we are finished, this process will give you the opportunity to flash a custom ROM which will in turn, give you root access. (Yay!) Now please read the warning.
    Initial steps…
    1. Download the SPRecovery SBF: SPRecovery_ESE81.sbf
    2. Place the file somewhere other than your desktop.
    3. DO NOT RENAME OR ATTEMPT TO UNZIP OR ANYTHING.
    Video instructions…
    Step-by-step instructions…
    1. Remember this post? Well we’re back to it only simplifying.
    2. Download your correct Motorola USB drivers and install. (32-bit) (64-bit)
    3. Download and install RSD Lite 4.6. Link to download at this post.
    4. Connect your phone to USB and turn it off.
    5. Open RSD Lite (run as administrator).
    6. Slide open your keyboard, hold up on the d-pad, then the power button for 5 seconds and release.
    Your phone should then boot to a black screen which is your bootloader.
    7. Click the … next to the filename box and browse to where you saved the SPRecover_ESE81.sbf file.
    8. Double click and open the file.
    9. Click “start” and allow the SPRecovery SBF to flash. This should not take long.
    10. Allow for your phone to reboot and for RSD Lite to show that you are 100% and completed.
    11. Close RSD Lite and disconnect your phone. You are done.
    What about root and custom ROMs?
    Your phone is now still sitting at official stock 2.1, but has SPRecovery as your recovery image. This is great news as it will allow us to install a 2.1 custom ROM with root access. If you are familiar with flashing ROMs manually in SPRecovery, go for it!

Video: Installing Stock 2.1 With Root Access

On 04.20.10, In Root (unlock), Videos, by Kellex

Last week I posted the video on how to install a custom ROM through SPRecovery and it seemed to be a success. However, there were still quire a few of you out there that like the stock Droid look and wanted an option to keep but also have root access. So here we go!
    Instructions…
    1. Flash the SPRecovery SBF file.
    2. Download this file to your computer: ESE81update.zip
    3. Follow this video… (Give it time to process, it’s HD people.)
    *Note 1* - You will find a ton of information on overclocking and kernels at this post.
    Questions or comments? Drop them below!
    Credit: Koush for hosting the file in ROM Manager and to Pete for creating it.

12. pc747

The second method is that you will flash sbf but instead of the 2.1 you will flash 2.01.
    Then you will follow this:

(From a few posts down, thought it was REALLY important..) "Let me clarify something. You must be running the 2.01. So if you have the current ota you will not be able to root with this method."
    To go back to stock from 2.1 official ota follow the steps here: Unroot/Unbrick your phone using .sbf

If you are rooted and do not have the official ota you need to unroot a good tutorial can be found here: http://rootyourdroid.info/guides/unr...tock/#more-230

Step 1: flash sbf 2.01
    [​IMG]

Step 2: follow these steps from ( http://www.droid-life.com/page/4/:) Because some people were having problems merging the file I did it for you. You can either do the entire step yourself from the droidlife site (who got it from alldroid) or just use the combined file below, labeled megaupload, and continue on with the steps that I laid out.
    - Download file: MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
    - Rename it update.zip (just update if you have windows 7)
    - Mount your Droid via USB and place this new update.zip file in the root of your SD card.
    - Unplug your phone and reboot into recovery. (Hold Power + X)
    - Once the exclamation pops up, hit volume up and camera button (half way) at the same time.
    - Using the d-pad, choose “apply update.zip”.
    - Reboot

Step 3: Reboot into recovery and wipe data then reboot
    Step 4: you need to install sprecovery image.
    a) you can download the DM1.1 app. When you click to open the app it will automatically download and install the sprecovery image for you. You just want to open it to get the recovery nothing more. Exit DM...Do not load up any roms (ie DM 1.0 or Back to stock)
    b) or you can install the sprecovery image manually.
    Step 5: Choose a kernel from chevy and install the update.zip
    a) click on the o/c kernel from the chevy thread. Rename it update.zip ( just update for windows 7 users) Mount your droid and install the update on to the root of your sdcard. The root means that it does not go into any folders.
    b) unmount
    c) reboot into recovery
    d) Install
    e) click Allow update.zip
    f) then install the update.zip
    g) reboot system now

Link to droidmod app: from ..DroidMod - Everything Droid doesn't, DroidMod does.
    DroidMod Updater 11

March 29, 2010 Camel 28 comments

DMUpdater version 0.1.1 uses a new tool for reading and writing the recovery MTD that is compatible with users that have bad blocks. The updater should now work on every Droid, regardless of bad blocks. To install, click here directly from your phone’s browser.
    UPDATE: Users running Koush’s CyanogenMod build are getting an error about the SD card not being mounted. The cause has been determined, and a fix is being tested.

Link to get your kernel: [UPDATE] New Kernels - Low Voltage + Medium Voltage - 3/25/2010

You now have a rooted droid with 2.1 ota and overclocked.

Suggested and recommended apps to spruce up your new droid

1) Helixlauncher 1: this allow you to add extra home screens (up to 7)
    2) Setcpu: this is a must to overclock. Make sure device selection is set to auto detect and that you set a charging and a failsafe profile (550/250 is recommended setting for those profiles)
    3) Barnacle Wifi Tethering: app that allows you to wifi tether
    4) Astro file manager: Backs up your apps.
    5) TempMonitor: monitors battery and processor temperatures. Highly recommended for overclocked droid
    6) Beautiful Widgets: Nice weather and clock widget for the home screen.
    7) Shoot me (or a screen capture app): So we can see pics of your rooted 2.1 droid.

The droidimage is from: Obtaining Root | Root Your Droid

Important note: After running the 2.1 long enough to ensure your device is running smooth; make a nandroid back up immediately. This definitely should be done before flashing any other roms. Follow this to make a nandroid backup: http://rootyourdroid.info/guides/ful...roid/#more-241

They will both get you to the same thing but I just wanted mine to not have pete's name on it. He did a good job but when I look in my phone I want to see ese 81 update-1....just like every one elses phone.
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  13. pc747

A member of the RS have a location for the sbf files:
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html

I just recommend you do not rush, take your time and do it when you are not in a rush, you are rested, and have access to a computer. There are people who try to do this at work on the work computer who rush it. Those are the ones who mess up.

Just get some rest and make sure you have a charged battery and you will be fine.
  14. pc747

on the second method i had to edit a step..ignore unroot...just flash sbf 2.01.

If you use the second method make sure you flash 2.01 and not 2.0. People have been flashing 2.0 and you can not root 2.0.
  15. gbouten

gbouten New Member

This is the method I used and it was easy, Just follow http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html
    Trust me I only had my droid for a week and like the man said the firt part only insalled SPrecovery which allows you to back up your rom and install other stuff. If you used it for this function alone it would be worth it. The only tricky part is the install of the software on your PC that talks to the phone, but it's pretty much a no brainer and lots of good folks to help you out. I even installed it loaded a rom and than went back to my back up rom just to see how it works.
  16. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose Super Moderator Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    I too was thinking there is no way I can do this by myself. I read everything on this forum, most several times. Just when I thought I could do it I would get confused and back out. I finally asked for help here on the forums and help flooded in. Everyone here is fantastic and is right there to help you. You just need to ask. I have been rooted for two weeks now and I could not be happier with my phone. I also have figured out how to change themes and add custom stuff to my phone. Its really fun now. Don't get discouraged, its not that bad and there are plenty here to help.
Search tags for this page

rooting a computer