1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Rooting problem

Discussion in 'HTC Rezound' started by scott craft, Sep 29, 2013.

1. scott craft

scott craft Member

I'm trying to root my Rezound and I'm having problems. Using the guides in the development section I got the bootloader unlocked. I flashed Amon Ra 3.14 recovery. Now the hboot screen says tampered above unlocked. Since I'm on an ICS leak I downloaded supersu from the play store. I tried to flash the binary the normal way since I don't have the clockworkmod or tarp on the phone, but needless to say it won't work. Any suggestions?
  2. acejavelin

acejavelin Member

First off, you have "Tampered" because you actually FLASHED a recovery, which is not necessary in anyway, shape, or form... If you have read deeper and done some research than you would learn that Tampered comes from flashing custom recovery and is completely normal but unnecessary, using "fastboot boot recovery.img" when needed prevents the Tampered flag and eliminates the need for separate flashing of boot.img files when flashing custom ROMS.

Second off, Amon Ra is no longer a recommended recovery to use on the Rez, TWRP 2.6.3.0 is the current and most recommended recovery out there, it can be found here: Goo.im Downloads - Browsing vigor or with GooManager after rooting.

Third, root should be achieved using SuperSU, not Superuser, on the Rezound by manually flashing the ZIP file, and cannot be updated or installed from the Play Store until after this step is done. Place the current ZIP file on your SD card from this site: SuperSU Download, boot into TWRP using "fastboot boot recovery.img" and flash the SuperSU.zip file, wipe cache and Dalvik, and reboot and you should be good to go. Then go to the Play Store and update the APK, run the SuperSU manager program and update the binary.

Fourth, although not mentioned, before starting any changes after unlocking, you should immediately do a complete Nandroid backup and move it off the SD card to safe location, just in case.
  3. scott craft

scott craft Member

Thanks for the info! I'll check it out and see what I can do. I'll probably have more questions....
  4. scott craft

scott craft Member

Do you mean open a command prompt and type something similar to this except use twrp recovery?

Cd \AndroidSDK\platform-tools
    Fastboot flash recovery ..\recovery-ra-vigor-3.14-gnm.img
    Fastboot reboot-bootloader

This is the method I used to put Amon Ra recovery on my phone.
  5. acejavelin

acejavelin Member

There is no need to FLASH any recovery, once a recovery is flashed TAMPERED will always be there until you lock and RUU, even flashing stock recovery back will not remove the flag. Remember that "Tampered" doesn't really do anything, it is just a flag that says you have modified the phone and if you sent it in for warranty replacement, they could potentially reject it and charge you full retail if the flag is set. Tampered by itself is not an issue. Although seeings as you have already flashed a custom recovery, flashing the new one is acceptable, just remember if you flash a custom ROM that you must extract the boot.img file and flash it manually from the PC as well.

The better way to use a custom recovery is to BOOT it from a PC... and you can boot any recovery with any recovery installed (even stock) using this method as long as you are unlocked.

Cd \AndroidSDK\platform-tools
    fastboot boot recovery-ra-vigor-3.14-gnm.img (or whatever the img file is for the recovery you are using)

I have also found it is easier and takes much less space to use mini-adb, it has the bare minimum stuff you need to flash ROMs/recovery in about 450k (yes, that is kilobytes). so I do it like this...

CMD window...

cd \mini-adb
    fastboot devices (just to make sure it is seen by fastboot)
    fastboot boot twrp263\recovery.img

wait a few seconds and TWRP is loaded into RAM and executed, in a psuedo S-OFF mode, which allows all functions of recovery to be used including flashing ROMs without the need to seperately flash the boot.img.

I really like this method of rooting, just substitute the current TWRP and SuperSU ZIP file for the Superuser and Amon Ra noted in the post I linked to using the temporary recovery method in the post (read thoroughly).

Most posts for rooting are old and haven't been updated in a while, so you will see references to old files, many of which are not recommended anymore like Amon Ra and Superuser.

This isn't something that is obvious to a new rooter on the Rez, and nothing in the older posts is unrecoverable from or a deal breaker moving forward, so don't worry... it will all come in time.
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  6. scott craft

scott craft Member

Ok, I see what you're saying.... I think, lol. Can I boot TWRP recovery after I've flashed Amon Ra? I'll read through the link and see what I can do. You are right about the age of the rooting stickies, there isn't a reference to the newer stuff. Thanks for the help also!
  7. acejavelin

acejavelin Member

Yes, you can boot any recovery irregardless of what recovery is actually installed in the device... "booting" essentially sends a temporary copy of your specified recovery.img as a virtual "boot.img" and starts it. This bypasses some of the normal restrictions of the installed recovery.
  8. scott craft

scott craft Member

Thanks, I'll be getting on the computer in a bit and I'll see what I can do.
  9. scott craft

scott craft Member

Do you have a recommendation for a good ROM? I might have to go back to the beginning and start over with the link you provided if I can't get some things sorted out on this phone. This is definitely different than when I rooted my og droid.
  10. Bpowder33

Bpowder33 New Member

11. scott craft

scott craft Member

12. acejavelin

acejavelin Member

This would be one of my recommendations as well, and it's maintained by Snuzzo who is one of the best developers for the Rezound out there and is also the author of Funky Kernel, the defacto standard for Rezound kernels... the other choice I would recommend would be Talon v1.0 (AOKP). Either one would suit you well, just watch the forums and read thoroughly the first few postings in the threads and the last 4-5 pages of each thread!

There are many other ROMs out there, many of which are good or even better, but these are very trouble free and stable and recommended for beginning ROMers... some of the others require periodic... ummm... let's just say "tweaking" and frequent updating at times. :)
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  13. scott craft

scott craft Member

Thanks Ace. I'm very interested in stable and trouble free. I'll take a look at both.
  14. scott craft

scott craft Member

Having some problems getting a rom on the phone. I'm going to work on it tomorrow evening when I have plenty of time. I might end up relocking and going back stock and start over with the method from android forums.
  15. Bpowder33

Bpowder33 New Member

What's the problem?
  16. scott craft

scott craft Member

The big problem right now is that the two roms I've tried bootlooped. The main problem as I see it is that I started off using the rooting methods outlined in the development section then tried to switch to the method acejavelin linked to. I am able to get into hboot and recovery so I'm sure it can be straightened out. I want to try some things tomorrow evening when I have more time to play with it. I'm certainly glad this is currently my backup phone!
  17. Bpowder33

Bpowder33 New Member

With these roms in really shouldn't matter if your rooted or not prior because the roms themselves have superuser built in...all you need is an unlocked bootloader.... It sounds like your not flashing the boot.img (aka kernel) after flashing the rom if you are bootlooping....
  18. scott craft

scott craft Member

Does it matter if you flash the boot.img before the rom? I'll check in tomorrow evening and post my results.
  19. Bpowder33

Bpowder33 New Member

Definitely flash boot.img after you flash the rom........ This is why it is better to enter recovery via fastboot command "fastboot boot whatever_recovery_you_are_using.img".... Preferably twrp 2.6.3.0......then once in twrp recovery it will flash the rom and the kernel together in one step, then flash gapps after if not built in the rom
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  20. acejavelin

acejavelin Member

If you are flashing the ROM from the recovery installed in the phone, you must manually "fastboot flash boot boot.img" after installing the ROM, if you loading recovery by "fastboot boot recovery.img" then you do not have manually flash boot.img, although doing so will not hurt anything.

Remember the ROM ZIP file needs to be on the SD card of the phone, not your PC. You "fastboot boot recovery.img", wipe everything, flash the ROM ZIP, and reboot... if that isn't working then one of those steps isn't being done correctly.

Also, are you sure they are bootlooping? How long did you wait? I have seen some ROMs take a good 10-15 minutes on first boot, maybe more... although it feels like forever. It always seems to go through my mind that it's taking too long and I need to pull the battery and restart because I missed something but it (almost) always comes up given enough time.
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
Search tags for this page
having problems rooting

rooting problem

rooting problems
super su app
tampered
what is problem of rooting
will htc reject warranty if phone says tampered?