Rooting Out Apps

Cattledog1969

Reaction score
If I root my Bionic will I be able to get rid of these crAPPs?

ForumRunner_20120710_000131.png

I've downloaded Petes Root tool to my laptop, but I don't want to brick the phone or cause it any problems.

Ive never rooted anything before, is it worth the risk ???

bbucks36

Reaction score
stock bionic? what version?...cause petes tool does not work with any version past .893 and yes you can get rid of all that crap after root..and you can never brick the bionic..unless you get it wet ..drop it .. or run over it with a car.

OP
Cattledog1969

Cattledog1969

Reaction score
I think its the 905 update and I have no real reasons to root my phone other than getting rid of factory installed Apps that I'm not ever going to use and I just don't like looking at them on my phone.

I don't have a computer background or any formal training in Android devices. So I'm nervous about attempting a root.

Is there a "fool proof" way of doing it?

bbucks36

Reaction score
motofail 1 click is the easiest way.. but if you dont have confidence in it dont..ICS will be coming out real soon and you dont have to be rooted to get rid of apps.. has a built in app remover ... once you remove these apps from .905 or later versions it will take you off teh OTA path..but like i said earlier you cannot brick the bionic there are ways to get it back to normal..thru rsd lite and fxz

Kobe24

Reaction score
Wait...ICS will let us uninstall bloatware? NICE

Kobe24

Reaction score
All of the apps that you posted among others pre-installed on the phone

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wait...ICS will let us uninstall bloatware? NICE

I think it's more of a shut down; they'll still be there, but not active.

To the OP, if you root may be better to freeze bloatware rather than remove it. Sometimes an app needs something from them and if it isn't there the app won't work.

jayman350

Reaction score
the ability to disable apps is very nice in ICS, but it seems to work only on certain apps and not others (can't get rid of Play Books or Movies). FYI, VZW has decided to load a TON more crapware with the ICS release so the ability to disable this garbage is much needed.

you should just wait until ICS comes out (or do some research into the ICS leaks). I originally rooted my phone so I could backup app data, once I had root, all bets were off I became a crack flasher looking for a different rom/kernel to try out (this was on the OG DROID, unlocked bootloader FTMFW). Once you figure out what you are doing with RSD, recovery, etc you can find all sorts of fun stuff to play around with. Just do a lot of reading before you actually try to flash anything.

bbucks36

Reaction score
to easy .. need root explorer...go to system>vendor>apps....delete or .bak freeze..gets rid of all crapware.. in ICS leaks

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score
bbucks36 said:
to easy .. need root explorer...go to system>vendor>apps....delete or .bak freeze..gets rid of all crapware.. in ICS leaks

Bucks, so something like all this? I can just hold down until options appear and hit delete and I'll be fine? I disabled a lot but didn't go through with any of this cause I was afraid lol

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score
I forgot to add pic lol, not gonna can quickoffice

ForumRunner_20120711_113017.png

I see swype is in there to, wasn't gonna can it but don't use it either

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

bbucks36

Reaction score
you have to remember this is a leak.. whats the worse case sinario? reinstall but you can delete with no effects.. or add .bak behind them to freeze them Screenshot_2012-07-11-13-43-29.png

id leave swype alone