Rooting on JB

sikassdrummer

Reaction score
I tried for 4 days

I though so as well and read your post and tried over and over and kept adjusting but when I ran razor blad at the same time it some how pushed root thru because I kept getting a freeze after smart actions . and I 1rst did a full wipe then just started going in and wiping data on the smart app and basically refreshing it . I swear that's how I got it to work , the google play SU apparently had to tell my computer that the binary was not up to date then I erased it and then I tried just razor blade still nothing but I did all 3 at once and presto iam rooted . ive received 13 other emails stating by running razorblade,well 2 copys of it at the same time did get them to root as well and they were having the same issiue a freeze after selecting battery ,then save then home
and it would still freeze or just stop there but the second copy being pushed at the same time forces it to boot in MTP OR MIDEA MODE AND ALLOWED FOR STEP 3 TO OCCUR WHICH WOULD ALSO FREEZE I WAITED ANHOU THE 1RST TIME and nothing but with 2 run batch of razor blade it was like .5 seconds apart it kept forcing it to reboot the phone and force the s/u in and root it

Don't know how or why just know it worked for me and 3 friends I did it the same way now just down to using razor blade 2x at the same time and it works every time no lag no disappointment , but thank you for your post it helped me because some one ekse was saying every time you have to do a factory restore if it fails at smart actions and I was like no way after the 3rd time lol ;) well thanks and keep up the great postings have a good night

Last edited:

Nrasser

Reaction score
YES THIS DOES WORK on Droid 4 with the latest (March) JB OTA.

1) Don't even start this process until you have installed ALL the latest MOTOROLA STUFF for your phone. Unplug/replug the phone into USB several times over a 3-5 minute period until the motorola stuff stops detecting/downloading/installing its MotoCast crapware. You don't have to set up MotoCast, just get it installed.

2) As many have said: Make sure USB Debugging is ON and your USB mode is MTP. Mine wouldn't root in mass storage mode and I tried, numerous times, with everything else right.

3) VERY IMPORTANT: SmartActions must be COMPLETELY blown back to as-installed condition. Hold icon, select "app info", then CLEAR DATA. Trying to delete the actions from within the app did not work for me, even though doing it that way makes the welcome screen appear again!

4) Follow the RAZR_BLADE instructions. You should not see any filename messages, seg faults etc., if you do then some part of the above isn't right.

Droid 4 - Rooted w/razr_blade on Windows XP running in Parallels VM on a MBP

craigdoug

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Thanks to all foe the great info. However, I can't get this to root. I have followed all the suggestions. I have usb debugging enabled. I ran two at the same time. The process completes and says explioit complete but I am still not rooted. The only thing I can think of is the MTP mode and that I can not find. Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks!!!

joyceface

Reaction score
ok well i put the files on my desktop and put the phone in mtp mode and everything worked so im good now thanks :hail:

Desktop made a difference for some reason. thanks been doing this alllll dayyyyy!

joyceface

Reaction score
Desktop made a difference for some reason. thanks been doing this alllll dayyyyy!

Update. I had to get a new droid 4 and start this whole process again. I'm thankful this thread is still here because it was the same story. Anyway, couple of helpful hints: DO up zip to your desktop. When connecting the phone connect as MTP to the computer. Do the smartactions/battery procedure. Run the file as the administrator. That's they ONLY way it worked for me.