Rooting My New Droid X

drizzydroid981

Reaction score
I just literally got my Droid X two days ago, I am upset I can't let my friends use my wifi so I am determined to figure this Root, and free WiFi tethering. I need some help...I'm a complete noob with this phone and so all the help I can get will benefit me.

plumcrazy

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
use the search feature, there is plenty of good info.

i recently used z4root (from the market) and had zero problems rooting. it took longer to reboot the phone than to root

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The easiest way is with z4root- available for free in the Market. It is a one push root method. As for wifi tether I use Wireless Tether for Root Users - also available free in the market. If you have any more questions just ask. :)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
D

drizzydroid981

Reaction score
I have Z4Root and Superuser and Wireless Tethering..it seems like im adding and downloading a bunch of stuff that doesn't work...please help...if there are some settings on my phone that need to be changed then fill me in please im a noob at rooting

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
D

drizzydroid981

Reaction score
Okaay so I am tethering, but it says no network access. Please help me

drizzydroid981

Raptor007

Reaction score
I have Z4Root and Superuser and Wireless Tethering..it seems like im adding and downloading a bunch of stuff that doesn't work...please help...if there are some settings on my phone that need to be changed then fill me in please im a noob at rooting

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Did you turn on USB Debugging in the applications section, under development?

kendeezy

Reaction score
can someone please post the link to z4root or the barcode so i can make sure i get the right one for my dx. I am also new to rooting and wanna make sure i do it right :)

maderschramm

Reaction score

drizzydroid981

Are you sure you have root access? Do you have a Superuser Permissions application in your app drawer? If you click on it does it open?

If not, you're not rooted. If so, let me know. I'll hold your hand. If you do have root open up the market, search for "tether", scroll down until you see "Wireless Tether for Root". Install.

Open the app and then click the green logo make sure you press "allow" to allow the app to run with root access. You'll want to remember your selection as well.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Superuser Permission Application? App Drawer?

drizzydroid981

To find the app drawer: perss the center icon on the botton of your home screen that looks like an up-arrrow, this brings you to the app drawer it is where you can access all your apps on your phone.

As for the superuser app, it is in the app drawer. It will either look like a ninja in black or a skull and cross bones. Here's a screen shot with the skull and cross bones:
aefcf3d0-3b99-488a.jpg

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

j1d10t

Reaction score

drizzydroid981

I had that problem with the version I downloaded from the market. Checked all the settings, and still couldn't get it to connect to the internet, but my laptop said I was connected to my droid wifi. After doing some reading here I found out somebody else had the same problem and downloaded the most recent version from here: Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code Installed that it it is working perfectly.

OP
D

drizzydroid981

Reaction score
Dang I installed it but somethings still wrong im still not getting network access..could I get a full step by step on how I should have my droid and computer settings as please?
drizzydroid981

Raptor007

Reaction score
Which tethering app are you using? I had issues at first with my D2G (now have the DX) and it took me a few tries to get it right, but once I did, I had access to Wireless tether on my laptop.