1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Rooting Motorola droid 2.1 (without a data loss

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by droidfreak1, Jun 24, 2010.

1. droidfreak1

droidfreak1 New Member

Hey guys, I know that alot of people on 2.1 are frustrated by the fact that rooting 2.1 means downgrading and upgrading.... blah blah blah.

but i found a much easier way.

just have android sdk installed and go ahead and follow these steps:

for both windows and mac you're going to want to download Superuser.apk and su which are both in the handy dandy attachment.
    YOU HAVE TO PUT THE FILES INTO THE ANDROID/TOOLS SECTION OF THE SDK!!!

MAC
    Code:
    ./adb push su /system/bin/su 
    ./adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk 
    then reboot your phone

Windows
    Code:
    adb push su /system/bin/su 
    adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk 

Attached Files:

2. M Moogle

M Moogle New Member

There's no way this could possibly work. You have to have /system mounted RW in order to push files to there, and if that's the case, your phone is already rooted.

Additionally, there's been a way to root 2.1 without dataloss via a sbf .file for months now.
  3. droidfreak1

droidfreak1 New Member

im just saying from experience dude, and no i wanted to mention that you dont actually need to be in system because when you run adb with the android sdk youre already in the system
  4. M Moogle

M Moogle New Member

ADB on a stock phone cannot write to /system. Assuming that somehow it even was running as root (which it doesn't on a stock rom), the file system would still have to be mounted writable (which it isn't by default). Unless you're saying that every single Android developer and root hacker has somehow missed this.... doubtful. Flash a STOCK 2.01 (or 2.0) SBF and see what happens, it won't work.
  5. 19DroidRage84

19DroidRage84 New Member

6. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

I wish people would stop with the misinformation! Can we implement a point system on here where you can hit "thumbs down" on posts that are just incorrect and have their correct to lies ratio show up under their name?

The ONLY WAY TO GET ROOT ACCESS on a stock droid running 2.1 is using RSDLite. ONLY ONLY ONLY. I can't stress this enough!

Now - if you've already RUN RSDLite and flashed a new recovery image (SPRecovery, etc). That means you already HAVE root. You've already done the hard part. In that case, the installation of the su binary and Superuser.apk is a piece of cake. I believe there are even some update.zip files floating around that install that for you even easier. Or you could install an entire rom, or whatever you want to.

This will NOT WORK ON A STOCK DROID UNLESS YOU ALREADY RAN RSDLITE TO FLASH SPRECOVERY

Only if you are already rooted or are running ADB from the SPRecovery console (which also means you are rooted). You can't take a droid out of the box and run those commands, it just won't work. When you type "su" it will say "permission denied", and the prompt will be $ instead of #.

Add to the beginning of those instructions "flash SPRecovery to your phone using RSDLite" and you've got yourself a working set of instructions on how to get root access without losing any data
  7. 19DroidRage84

19DroidRage84 New Member

I wish people would read! I said I didn't think this worked on ese81 but it did work on all previous builds! Including ese53 which was a pre release of 2.1. Also just because you have SPRecovery that doesn't mean that you are rooted.! Really!?! You are misinformed. Just flashing SPRecovery doesn't put the su binary in the system!! Do you even use adb shell?

Edit: if you don't believe me after work ill show you. I have the .sbfs for 2.0.1 and ese53. Ill make a youtube video showing you that with a stock recovery adb shell will run as root on these builds!
  8. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

Yes, lets see it. You've single-handedly removed the need for RSDLite in the rooting process. Nobody before you has discovered this glaringly obvious method for attaining root access. That whole mess of carefully crafting a zip file to be signed and contain a secret payload to root in 2.0.1 was unnecessary, too - all they had to do was push the su binary.

You are now a hero to the droid community.
  9. M Moogle

M Moogle New Member

Oh FFS! Se7enLC is absolutely correct! ESE53 IS NOT A STOCK ROM! It's a leaked build of 2.1 that has adb root enabled, either because it was compiled that way, or whoever leaked it enabled it. I'll repeat: A STOCK (SHIPPED) ROM cannot write to /system with ADB, regardless of build or revision. You're just spreading misinformation and confusion by saying otherwise.

Edit: Se7enLC, my thoughts exactly, lol.
  10. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

SHHHHH, let him make his movie!! :p

And if you believe that, you'll love Google TV. Here are some step-by-step instructions on how to sign up for the GoogleTV Beta program:

11. 19DroidRage84

19DroidRage84 New Member

Oh you don't count ese53 as stock. May have insert foot in mouth.

Edit:To me no su = stock
  12. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

If you can't install it without RSDLite it's not stock. ESE53 probably has a stock version of it, but chances are, whatever you downloaded is a modified version that won't install on the stock recovery console.
  13. 19DroidRage84

19DroidRage84 New Member

Okay I see what you mean. You were right. And my different view of "stock" made me look like a douche. Owell won't be the last time I'm wrong.
  14. droidfreak1

droidfreak1 New Member

Guys, im sorry, i started this. When i did this process i forgot that i installed sprecovery sometime back with RSDlite.
    what i meant to say was that this is an easier method than downgrading and rooting with a combined upgrade file.
Search tags for this page

adb push to system without root

root android using adb without data loss