Rooting is for the naive

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
bwhite82

bwhite82

Reaction score
As a person who rooted, and love the root access; I say calm down on the op he makes a good point. He is not saying not to root; he is saying (correct me op if I am wrong) to not jump on every rom you see out there with out doing some research first.
In a way he is right. People now jump on a rom as soon as it is released and when they have problems do not know how or what is happening. Just take your time and research the developer before you open up your 600 dollar device to somebody who hacked something up in his basement.
I am not direspecting the devs because they do good work, but make sure you know what is going on.

Yes, well put.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
As a person who rooted, and love the root access; I say calm down on the op he makes a good point. He is not saying not to root; he is saying (correct me op if I am wrong) to not jump on every rom you see out there with out doing some research first.
In a way he is right. People now jump on a rom as soon as it is released and when they have problems do not know how or what is happening. Just take your time and research the developer before you open up your 600 dollar device to somebody who hacked something up in his basement.
I am not direspecting the devs because they do good work, but make sure you know what is going on.

I don't have a problem with that, but the OP original intent is very clear in the title. That I do have a problem with.

Reaction score
Rooting is naive for 99% of us.

There you go again. Rooting is not naive, by using that logic changing anything that is not the same out of the box is "naive." Adding new show laces (Hannah Montana FTW!) to my shoes is naive? Maybe crazy, but surely not naive. The majority of rooted users know what they are doing. You made a good point with the security concern of custom roms and such.

mikes

Reaction score
Uh, first, "rooting" isn't the correct term. Ask any Australian what "rooting" is.

Second, privilege escalation is not the same as installing whatever firmware image (again calling these "ROMs" is a misnomer, on more than one level) some pre-pube managed to mash together.

Finally, Suse and AOL don't give you any cred. I go back to IBM System 360 (actually Amdahl 470), and DEC PDP-11. As far as micros, ASR-33s connected to KIM-1s. Commodore PETs, Apple ][s (and Corvus 5 mb hard drives, shared over a network!), Osbornes running CP/M, UCSD P-system, Slackware Linux (then Redhat, now Debian). The Source, Fidonet, usenet, pre-Mosaic Internet.

Last edited:
OP
bwhite82

bwhite82

Reaction score

There you go again. Rooting is not naive, by using that logic changing anything that is not the same out of the box is "naive." Adding new show laces (Hannah Montana FTW!) to my shoes is naive? Maybe crazy, but surely not naive. The majority of rooted users know what they are doing. You made a good point with the security concern of custom roms and such.

I would have to disagree with the bolded statement. Look around the forums. MANY have no clue what they are doing.

shmoo

Reaction score
Have you read thru the hundreds of pages on the ROMs that have beam released? Have you seen how helpful each and everyone of the devs has been? By simply reading thru those its easy to as that they have figured out how to get the most out if their phones and are willing to share with those of us that aren't as savy or knowledgeable as they, but still want the most out of our device. Its almost like an unwritten code of ethics that goes along with rooting.

E

EvilWays

ugh, never mind id rather not get involed

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score

I would have to disagree with the bolded statement. Look around the forums. MANY have no clue what they are doing.

Many =/= majority...

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Alright, I will concede some. It is naive to not knowing what you are installing in the way of a ROM beforehand. Not doing research and checking around first is stupid.

Its just a couple lines of code for me to compile a kernel that will cook your precious Droid's CPU by jacking up the voltage. I don't even have to overclock the frequencies. (Yes I am aware that nobody will ever use my ROM now :D)

But I also see that gaining root on the phone, and installing a custom ROM are two very different things.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Alright, I will concede some. It is naive to not knowing what you are installing in the way of a ROM beforehand. Not doing research and checking around first is stupid.

Its just a couple lines of code for me to compile a kernel that will cook your precious Droid's CPU by jacking up the voltage. I don't even have to overclock the frequencies. (Yes I am aware that nobody will ever use my ROM now :D)

But I also see that gaining root on the phone, and installing a custom ROM are two very different things.
Adrnalyne mod; has custom themes, 3d launcher, and the ability to cook your dinner:icon_ devil: like it put it on the market.

OP
bwhite82

bwhite82

Reaction score
Finally, Suse and AOL don't give you any cred. I go back to IBM System 360 (actually Amdahl 470), and DEC PDP-11. As far as micros, ASR-33s connected to KIM-1s. Commodore PETs, Apple ][s (and Corvus 5 mb hard drives, shared over a network!), Osbornes running CP/M, UCSD P-system, Slackware Linux (then Redhat, now Debian). The Source, Fidonet, usenet, pre-Mosaic Internet.

Not looking for cred, honestly. There will always be someone to chime in who hath greater wisdom. "I started out on the abacus youngun'!"

Reaction score

Adrnalyne mod; has custom themes, 3d launcher, and the ability to cook your dinner:icon_ devil: like it put it on the market.

Does it cook fish well?

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

LOL, nice :D

Status
Not open for further replies.