Rooting in Linux

LinuxHack3r

Reaction score
I am in Linux as my host, and I am not afraid of CLI as long as the instructions are well written. I would like to root my Thunderbolt tonight during the few hours I have free time. Where can I find a set of instructions that are 100% Linux compatible? Also, my second question is whether or not after I finish the rooting, will my phone essentially be using the same rom/build that comes stock, only rooted?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Antikorper

Reaction score
Actually man, if you follow the windows instructions, they work fine. Just adapt the adb commands to your Linux distro. Make sure you do any file renaming in your file manager, not cli. It has a nasty habit of changing md5 sums.

OP
L

LinuxHack3r

Reaction score
I actually did just that! 100% effective, not one hiccup!

Antikorper

Reaction score
Glad to hear it! What distro you using?

OP
L

LinuxHack3r

Reaction score
Ubuntu 10.10, 64-bit. Only thing I had problems with was that I forgot you had to start the adb server as root.

mdiamondstone

Reaction score
LH, any chance you could post some instructions with some screenshots? I'm about where you are -- not afraid of CLI, but haven't done any sort of phone rooting / ADB before. Would LOVE some help with a tutorial. I'm running Ubuntu 11.04.

Thanks!

OP
L

LinuxHack3r

Reaction score
PM me (to remind me) tomorrow and I will try and find the instructions I used.

OP
L

LinuxHack3r

Reaction score
I basically

Followed these instructions verbatim:

Updated (4/21/2011): [Exclusive] How To Root The HTC ThunderBolt And Unlock Its Bootloader | Android News, Reviews, Apps, Games, Phones, Tablets, Tips, Mods, Videos, Tutorials - Android Police

However, I few things I knew but were not specified specifically:

1) When starting the adb-server, it must be done as root (use sudo)
2) Everytime you flash a new ROM, you must reenable Debugging (it's off by default of course, and a new ROM sets things to default for the most part).

Take your time, do not rush it at all. I even went a step further and checked the MD5 hash of everything after I uploaded it to the phone. I did not have a single problem. Just read, take your time, and (after you download the files) you should be rooted within an hour.

Besides reading, the most important thing you can do is dedicate an hour of SILENCE to this project, do not do it while conversing with others, others talking in the background, etc.