Rooting- i did it but my supper user dosn't seem to work

setlab

Reaction score
Rooting- i did it but my superuser dosn't seem to work

I just got done with the steps to root from How to: Root DROID X Running Official Android 2.2 - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog and I'm pretty sure I did everything right. However when I tap on my supper user/sniper guy icon it just opens up a black screen with a small superuser permissions title on top.

I did update my droidX today to 2.2 threw the system updates on the settings area if that makes any difference.

Dj Carpenter

Silver Member
Reaction score
I believe you can download it from the market. I'd try that to see if it works

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
S

setlab

Reaction score
I just checked the market and found "Superuser" by ChainsDD I think that may be the one your talking about. Well I tried to install it and it says installation error package file was not signed correctly.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
The market said that??

I just checked the market and found "Superuser" by ChainsDD I think that may be the one your talking about. Well I tried to install it and it says installation error package file was not signed correctly.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums app (free in market)

Dj Carpenter

Silver Member
Reaction score
I thought it might do that. What you need to do is delete the current version that was already pre-installed. Do you have Root Explorer downloaded by chance? It's a paid app. But once you delete that version, the market version should install no problem. IF it doesn't, I have a solution for that as well. And just to make sure you're properly rooted, I would download an app that requires root access. Just in case something didn't quite install properly

Dj Carpenter

Silver Member
Reaction score
Plus, the version that came with your method of rooting is the older version. Doing this will allow you to get the up to date version as well

gunz.jones

Reaction score
You have to assign an app to su status....get an app like d2/dx oc from jrummy....or the bootstrap program. They will ask for permission and show up when in the su list after that.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
S

setlab

Reaction score
Ok I went into manage applications and it doesn't seem to let me delete Superuser Permisions; the uninstall option is greyed out and can't be clicked. Is there another way to delete it?

Dj Carpenter

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's what Root Explorer is for. It lets you go into the system and delete it

gunz.jones

Reaction score
There's an adb command...

Rm /system/app/ and the name of the apk.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Dj Carpenter

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's paid just to let you know. In case you didn't see that earlier. It's a little pricey but it's very useful.

OP
S

setlab

Reaction score
Alright, I downloaded it and root explorer is running. Looks like it could come in pretty handy latter on down the road. Now should I leave my existing superuser alone or should i figure out how to delete it and download the superuser from the market?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
WELL worth the money!!! :dancedroid:

It's paid just to let you know. In case you didn't see that earlier. It's a little pricey but it's very useful.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums app (free in market)

Dj Carpenter

Silver Member
Reaction score
Alright, good. Very good app. What you're gonna do is open Root Explorer, it should show a list of folders, scroll to the very bottom and click system. Once you've clicked that, another list will appear, select app(should be second from the top or so), and it will show you a list of .apk installed on the phone. Scroll until you find superuser, long press, delete. If it doesn't let you delete it and you get a message, just press Mount R/W at the top and then delete it. Once you've done that, you should be able to successfully download superuser from the market without issue