Rooting HTC ThunderBolt

Gatorguy18

Reaction score
My issue is getting the ADB drivers to install. I've downloaded them from the SDK and they show up in the folder where I saved everything...But when I run Device Manager, it says the drivers for ADB aren't installed...so I double click ADB and try to redo the installation and even when I give it the proper location myself, it always says the installation failed. Not sure why...and now that I've checked again this morning, ADB doesn't even show up in Device Manager for some reason...Pissing me off!

I was going through the same thing last night. Messing with ADB in device manager and trying to update drivers is the wrong direction. I was there. You need the USB drivers for the Tbolt, not ADB. When I first ran the setup_3.0.5511.exe (HTC Sync) it automatically installed the Tbolt USB drivers. I then cancelled the installation of Sync. Then the ADB showed up properly in the device manager. Issue solved.

Others have said the USB drivers are on the Tbolt itself if you attach it as internet device. I guess there is more than one way to skin the cat.

Parafly9

Reaction score
I'm a little lost right now too. I installed the full SDK. Although I'm not sure how that relates to ADB. Now I'm trying to figure out what's next. If I could get to the point where I am typing in commands I think I will be OK but still have to figure that out, lol.

Doostur

Reaction score
I'm a little lost right now too. I installed the full SDK. Although I'm not sure how that relates to ADB. Now I'm trying to figure out what's next. If I could get to the point where I am typing in commands I think I will be OK but still have to figure that out, lol.

If you are new.. the first step is to watch this video and do follow his instructions to install SDK tools. It will bring you right up to the right where you get ready to root your phone.

[video=youtube;y6K1XLmafPc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6K1XLmafPc&feature=fvst[/video]

Doostur

Reaction score
Then watch this video to give you an idea of how to use adb. IT IS NOT THE EXACT SAME PROCESS but it will give you an idea how to push, shell, etc! Look at the commands... etc. Obviously the files and folders will be different but again just an idea. If you still are lost join us in the mIRC channel and ask questions, everyone there will be more than happy to help you out.

[video=youtube;y6K1XLmafPc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6K1XLmafPc&feature=fvst]YouTube - ANDROID SDK Tools (How-To Install)[/video]

Parafly9

Reaction score

If you are new.. the first step is to watch this video and do follow his instructions to install SDK tools. It will bring you right up to the right where you get ready to root your phone.

[video=youtube;y6K1XLmafPc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6K1XLmafPc&feature=fvst[/video]

Awesome that was very helpful thanks. I was able to DL and verify connectivity on my phone. Now I"m going to do the processes. I just tried pushign PSNeuter and right off the bat I got an error that psneuter no such file or directory. Do I just dl and copy it right into the same directory as ADB?

Parafly9

Reaction score
Then watch this video to give you an idea of how to use adb. IT IS NOT THE EXACT SAME PROCESS but it will give you an idea how to push, shell, etc! Look at the commands... etc. Obviously the files and folders will be different but again just an idea. If you still are lost join us in the mIRC channel and ask questions, everyone there will be more than happy to help you out.

YouTube - ANDROID SDK Tools (How-To Install)

dumb q. how do I get to the mIRC channel?

Parafly9

Reaction score
NM also figured out my earlier question. I was supposed to extract the exploits and place them into the same folder as ADB.

I'm now rooting, on Step #4! Yay!

Doostur

Reaction score
^ I use two folders.... the "android-sdk-windows" and i put all my rooting mods in a folder called "root" all of which are located directly on the C:

Just my personal preference. Some people put it all in the "android-sdk-windows"

Parafly9

Reaction score
OK I'm stuck on Step #4.

Here you will rename the downgrade RUU as PG05IMG.zip and place it on your SD card. Then, run the following command:
adb reboot bootloader
Choose the bootloader option and press power; let the ROM flash. When asked to upgrade, choose yes. Don’t freak, it’s a long reboot.
Once done, reboot and delete PG05IMG.zip from your SD card.

When I run adb reboot bootloader, my phone reboots.

I choose Bootloader as mentioned above. A couple things fly through the screen really fast, then I end up on the same Mecha XD SHIP S-ON page with the following options:

Fastboot
Recovery
Factory Reset
Simlock
HBOOT USB
Image CRC

It went super quick and doesn't look like anything actually flashed or installed. What do I do here? It also seems the andirc channel is offline.

Parafly9

Reaction score
I can click Fastboot and get back to a Reboot option> i'm going to do that and continue going.

Last time I got stuck on Step #6,
Confirm proper write:
/data/local/busybox md5sum /dev/block/mmcblk0p18
If the output does not match "6991368ee2deaf182048a3ed9d3c0fcb," try again; if it still doesn’t work, seek help from chat.andirc.net in channel #thunderbolt. DO NOT REBOOT.

They did not match. So I went back to the beginning again....

Parafly9

Reaction score
OK. That was dumb. I renamed the file .zip but it was already compressed, so it was pg05img.zip.zip and it didn't find it. Working fine now. :) yay!

Parafly9

Reaction score
WOO officially done. I had a couple hangups in the middle (I wasn't reading the directions clearly enough) but I'm now rooted with Clockword Mod recover installed. Yahoo!

Parafly9

Reaction score
It took me about 2 1/2 hrs including install of ADB but I screwed up in the middle by not flashing the right ROM. I flashed the final version at the first flash.

There are a couple "intuition" things you need to know that aren't really in the steps (i.e. remembering to enable USB debugging in the middle) but it's not too bad and I look doing stuff like this anyway because it helps me learn more about how all this works, which I enjoy.

The IRC chat is really helpful if you have questions / concerns