rooting help

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by rlfitz, Aug 23, 2010.

1. rlfitz

rlfitz Member

Ratings:
    +0
    whats up all,
    I have been reading up on all things root related. I think i got a grasp on what its all about. I did the manual update to froyo a couple weeks ago on my droid 1 with astro. It was fairly straight forward and easy to do. So now i wanna root and overclock. possibly flash a rom later on. so my question is what do you guys think would be a good way to go about it? which is your prefered method of recovery? which kernal and rom do you all think would be best? sprecovery seems to be the most popular from what ive read.
    All the threads i found with rooting procedures listed are showing it being done from 2.1 as the starting point. do I have to go back to 2.1 to start rooting? can I go from 2.2 directly to frg22? i could use some help getting started in the right direction. there seems to be alot of conflicting info on some of these really long threads. so its hard for a noob like me to be really confident of the right way to get started. I appreciate your help. thanks alot.

2. xkape

xkape Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Picking a ROM, theme, kernel, etcc are upto you and especially on the kernel, upto your phone.

As for going back, YES, you will need to revert backwards to go forwards. You can try to root 2.2 and "break" it which will then allow you to go backwards. There are many How-To's and even a video showing how to root.

SPRecovery...think oldschool. Doing it yourself manually each time but it's tried and true and gets the job done right.
    ClockWorldMod - New School. Cool program with a UI and tons of support. You can do more but it's not always guaranteed to work

Please, remember, this is my opinion. It's how I envision the two in my head when deciding which to use. I have both available.