Rooting help

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by Diordna, May 14, 2010.

1. Diordna

Diordna New Member

Hey! I'm trying to help someone out rooting from Christim's SBF rooting thread HERE. But he's having a troubled time, he couldn't get it to work and was watching the video and everything that was provided from option Option 2.
    One thing he said was that he plugged phone in, powered off, held up on DPAD but the phone reboots before it goes anywhere.
    I personally don't even remember ever having to hold up on DPAD, I remember holding "X" to get in SPRecovery.. or is up on DPAD for something totally different??

He did Option 1 and put em all in a folder on the desktop, extracted whatever he extracted. Anyways, I'll just give you the exact message he sent me:

What should I tell him now? Thanks!
  2. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

I rooted before the 2.1 update so I've not used this process. You, like me, used the power and "X" key to boot into recovery. That has changed, thus the DPAD.

I'm thinking that the download file was not successful or corrupted. I would advise your friend to download again and start at box 2.

Mike
  3. Diordna

Diordna New Member

I rooted with 2.1, I only rooted 2 weeks ago. Unless I don't remember doing the DPAD thing? I just don't ever remember holding that when powering on the phone. Where does that take you?

I feel like maybe he did something wrong when extracting everything in option 1 into a desktop folder, he extracted there but idk what else he did. I could be wrong though.
  4. mwhartman

Perhaps the best avenue would be to start over and make detailed notes on the location of the download.
  5. Diordna

Diordna New Member

I'll try to help him through an IM later on, maybe that will help.
  6. mwhartman

OK. If you get stuck post the issue and someone should respond.

Mike
  7. teddyearp

teddyearp Active Member

Yes, exactly. First make sure the drivers are installed properly, double check the download of the .sbf file, ultimately have your friend register here and post themselves so we're not 'third-partying' stuff.

Holding the 'x' key while powering up takes you to the recovery menu, not where you want to be for using RSD Lite 4.6. Holding the 'up' on the d-pad while powering up puts the phone in bootloader mode=where you NEED to be to flash an .sbf file using RSD Lite 4.6.

Getting the end user to register and post would be ideal.

good luck
  8. Diordna

Diordna New Member

Thanks for telling me about the up d pad thing, that makes sense more now :)

As for the friend, he's not really a friend, he IS from this site but not to much. He has 7 posts, so I saw him in here and provided him help. But he has no knowledge of this stuff really so I'm trying to get good info and then help him on facebook IM and help him that way. If something weird occurs I'll post it here so it can be helped.

I rooted because someone helped me through an IM and I think thats what users on here should do with others, help them through IMing. And yeah the process is good for someone to understand on there own sometimes, but I learned a lot and it's better from getting help. And thankful for that.

SO that is why I'm helping him, because I know how good it is :)
  9. brando56894

brando56894 New Member

It seems to be a connection problem (obviously) so Id tell him to try different USB ports/cables/computers and see if it works any better.
  10. Phxphenom

Phxphenom New Member

Hi guys,
    My name is Marc and I am the one with the problem. Just joined here recently and appreciate all your help. I did confirm that I should be downloading the 64 bit driver and I have installed and reinstalled RSD Lite several times. I also downloaded, deleted and redownloaded the SBF file several times and once even put on the C drive per a suggestion on the thread.

Perhaps I need to be in the Administrator riights role however I am the only one who has an account on my Desktop.

Perhaps I should just get my HP laptop and start over.....

Weirdest thing is the notification for emails even though I don't have any. By the way, does anyone know how to disable the function that constantly send the phone into lockdown mode where i have to drag the lock to the right to get back to the main drawer?

Thanks for any and all suggestions,
    Marc
  11. BlazinCaucasian

BlazinCaucasian New Member

12. Phxphenom

Phxphenom New Member

THanks and will do! This forum is great and reminds me of the MGB car forum in terms of the great willingness to help others. Very much appreciated.
  13. mwhartman

Let us know how you make out.

Mike
  14. Phxphenom

Phxphenom New Member

Will do Mike...I am at work so it won't be until after 6:00PM AZ time.....
  15. brando56894

brando56894 New Member

I use an app called "mylock" from the market, he changed it around a lot and took down the original version which just simply skipped the lock screen. He said he was going to put it back up shortly and took it down because it had "a fatal security error" or something like that.
  16. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    Another thought I just had is what system are you on (computer). I originally tried to root using my laptop which is on Vista. That did not work out too well as Vista and RSD Lite don't play nice together. I had to go to my old desktop which is on XP. I also found that the 32 bit RSD Lite worked better for me. Once on XP everything worked like a charm. I also just made myself my own cheat sheet to rooting and it worked really good as I rooted my husband's phone in less than an hour. If you want some notes, pm me and I would be happy to share. I too am in Arizona so I am on the same timezone as you and am willing to help you out, if I can.
  17. brando56894

brando56894 New Member

It still amazes me when I see how many females own the droid, let alone know how to root it lol

I used RSD Lite on both XP and Win7 with no problems.
  18. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    Well my droid is very girly and has all the fun stuff on it. My husband comes to me with all his questions, he still hasn't figured it all out, it is kind of funny as I am the tech geek of the family.

XP worked great for me, it was Vista that gave me fits to the point of giving up.
  19. Phxphenom

Phxphenom New Member

I now have the replacement boot-recovery app SPRecovery installed!!!! I used my son's HP laptop and downloaded the 32 bit driver file. Next on the list is Simple Nadroid Backup and then Root 2.1 by using SPRecovery.

Today was a good day!
  20. mwhartman

Great! Glad you were able to successfully root your phone. If you have future questions we'll be here to help.

Mike