1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

"ROOTING" Help

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by xGL0B4LxGH0STx, Oct 12, 2011.

1. xGL0B4LxGH0STx

xGL0B4LxGH0STx New Member

Hello everyone,

I am new to the "phone hacking world" and would like some info on how to root my droid 2 global. I am very new to this so I will need step-by-step instuctions. I have been reading about rooting for a couple days now and seems to be something id like to do. I've been into this kind of stuff for a little while now like modding games on my xbox like MW2 which is still kinda confusing to me but doing it to my phone seems a lot easier than an xbox. I enjoy being able to alter devices to do things they weren't supposed to do out of the factory settings. So any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

P.S. I tried rooting my phone earlier and I was told to download a program called z4root onto my computer but when I clicked on it to open it up, my computer said that it was unsafe and had already found virus's on the program and would give my laptop a definite virus so I didn't open it at all so if anyone knows a different program to use than that would certainly help me out
  2. rubiksc00p

rubiksc00p New Member

Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
    First! Welcome to DF! :)
    Second. You can check out the D2 hacks section of the forums for a guide.
    3. z4root is actually done solely on the phone with no computer needed, and it doesn't work with gingerbread, so you'll need a new solution there if you're on GB.
  3. wanta99gtr

wanta99gtr New Member

Z4 will only work for Froyo. If your on Gingerbread I would get Pete's one click Motorola Tool. It worked great when I used it on my Bionic. There are numerous guides to help you in the Droid 2 section. If you are on Froyo Z4 should work instantly for you. I rooted my cousins Rd in 5 seconds using it.

Sent from my rooted Droid X running Darkslide 4.2
  4. wanta99gtr

wanta99gtr New Member

^My cousins D2. Damn predictive text. Lol

Sent from my Droid X running Darkslide 4.2
  5. xGL0B4LxGH0STx

Thanks for the reply and okay, I thought it told me to download z4root to my computer but I guess not and I don't know what gingerbread is, I've read stuff where people were talking about it but never really found out exactly what it is or what it does but thanks for thr the help rubiksc00p
  6. xGL0B4LxGH0STx

I really don't know what all this stuuf y'all are tlking about is hahaha, like gingerbread or froyo. Can I find out what all that is in the driod 2 section? And how it is used?
  7. rubiksc00p

rubiksc00p New Member

Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
    Yes... Just read, read, read... :) Froyo was the last version of Android, gingerbread is the current. Google names the versions after desert names... ie Eclair, Froyo, Gingerbread, Honeycomb, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean. To see what version you're on, go to settings> about phone. Or the quick test on Moto phones is if your notification bar is blue! :)
  8. JSM9872

JSM9872 Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

To determine if you are on froyo or gingerbread (GB) go into settings > about phone and check the android version. 2.2.x would be froyo, 2.3.x would be GB.
    Of course even easier would be if your notification bar is blue then you are on GB.

This was when you know what you are on you will know which way to steer your research.
  9. xGL0B4LxGH0STx

Alright thanks, it says im on 2.3.3 so that means im on GB right?
  10. JSM9872

Yes that is correct.
  11. xGL0B4LxGH0STx

Can someone tell me what it means for a phone to be bricked?
  12. JSM9872

It is pretty much is exactly as it sounds. Your phone gets messed up to the point you cant recover it, thus rendering it a brick so to speak. It is not common and if you know how to recover it when you have issues you will be OK in most situations.
  13. xGL0B4LxGH0STx

Actually I don't think im gonna go through with this cause I can't take a chance of bricking my phone, im not at a good finacial state in my life at the moment to go out and get a new device cause im sure rooting your phone will definitly void warrenty
  14. JSM9872

Hey no worries. Rooting is not something you have to do to enjoy your phone. And I do not blame you if you are worried. Like I said it is not common but bricking is possible, slight but possible, if nothing else at least now you have the tools and knowledge to do it when you are ready.
  15. xGL0B4LxGH0STx

Okay so I think I wanna go through with this but I want a list of everything I need and a link to the root program (ex pete's motorola root tool) and please nobody tell me to go to a different thread and find it cause I really don't feel like searching the whole damn website for the info I need haha, its just too much of a pain in my ass when I could just ask if someone could do it for me on this thread cuz I know I wont be able to find all the info I need or if someone could find the thread that gives me everything I need to know and send me the link. Thanks

P.S. my phone is completely stock and its a droid 2 global for those of you that don't know so I will literally need everything and im a newbie at this, never done it before and i just found out you could hack a phone the other day, yes im that new at this stuff haha
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  16. pawdog

pawdog New Member

Based on your other posts, you are so not ready to be thinking about rooting. You don't even know what version of Android you are running. You are going to have to endure the pain in your ass and educate yourself. The people on these forums are very helpful but will not babysit you or do things you can do for yourself. Educate your self about Android and your particular device so you can come back and ask intelligent sounding questions. You will get much help.