Rooting....hear me out

Discussion in 'HTC Droid Eris' started by datavirtue, Apr 20, 2011.

1. datavirtue

datavirtue New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have read that you can flash ROMS to a rooted phone, right? Well, I dont want control over my "phone". I just want to replace the OS with one that allows my phone to operate like an independent droid wifi device. I don't care about the 3G at all. Right now the Droid OS on the phone (which is not activated with verizon) will not let me past the activation screen. I just want to get rid of the verizon stuff. I'm new to this stuff obviously, and I don't have time to read troves of forum posts trying to digest this scenario.

How do I approach this? Sorry to offend if I have flogged an already dead horse.

Thanks

2. spc_hicks09

spc_hicks09 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +34
    Current Phone Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Twitter:
    spc_hicks09
    Not really sure what you're trying to accomplish here. Are you wanting a ROM that will give you Gingerbread but be pretty much useless as a "phone" and only be able to use wifi? If so, just flash a gingerbread ROM like mine in my signature and don't activate the device. Not sure what you're trying to get here.

3. stump1000

stump1000 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My Eris works and it's not activated. You should be able to get past the activation screen. If you can't, then I guess you'll have to root your phone and throw a different rom on it and try again. Mine was stock, I got past activation screen and used it wifi. Then, I flashed XTRRom and it still works with wifi. I'm not sure what you're trying to do that you can't do.