Rooting from official 2.1 update problems

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by onelegchair, Apr 2, 2010.

1. onelegchair

onelegchair New Member

I updated to the official 2.1 OTA update earlier today and didn't like it so I try to reroot the exact same way I previously did. Yes I did unroot before updating so its not that. I have a feeling its an incapadability problem with the update.zip I'm using and android 2.1. It keeps saying "installation aborted" two seconds into install. I was hoping someone had a link to a update.zip that will work with the official 2.1 OTA update, or if there isn't one then maybe creating one. Thanks ahead of time. Looking forward to responses.
  2. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

No unfortunately there is no way at the present time to root 2.1 This is why it was advisable to not get the OTA, if you wanted to maintain root.

You are going to have to flash an sbf to get your phone back to a rootable state. Then go with it. Don't install the official update again though, as it will break root access and you will have to flash again. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-help/24707-unroot-unbrick-your-phone-using-sbf.html

Flash it, root the phone, install a custom recovery then you can install a rooted version of the update, or a ROM.
  3. onelegchair

onelegchair New Member

Thanks. I guess ill just wait for someone to create a way to root from 2.1
  4. onelegchair

onelegchair New Member

Thanks so much cupfuloflol It worked and I'm back to 2.0.1
  5. goinskiing

goinskiing New Member

So if I'm on stock/unrooted (forced OTA) ESE81 and want to flash the sbf to get back to 2.0.1, what becomes of my apps? Really, as long as I don't have to repurchase them and there's a way to back them up before flashing, that would be very helpful information. I'm ready to follow Matthew's guide to root once I do to BB or possible Pete's ESE81. Thanks in Advance.
  6. BasilofBakerStreet

BasilofBakerStreet New Member

7. goinskiing

goinskiing New Member

8. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Goin,

The sbf will wipe the phone clean of all market apps. But, google (by syncing) keeps your apps on record so they will be reinstalled. This is how it supposed to work, does work for most folks, although some folks have some minor problems. Fewer folks than the ones that do not have problems. Just make sure to do a google sync before doing anything.

There is one caveat to this in that some apps are written for 2.0.1 only, and some work on 2.1. While I have not gone back to 2.0.1 to test this, my guess would be that if you go back to 2.0.1 and do a sync, any apps that you have that are 2.1 only may not show up as reinstallable. So if I were to do this, I would use the sbf, and try to avoid a google resync until you get your new 2.1 custom rom going.

You can also use astro to back your apps up to the sd card, and likley a program called Titanium Backup. Again, if I were doing it, as an Astro restore of apps does not ensure that you will later get market updates (as Astro installs from sd), I would at least use astro to get a list of my apps onto the sd to make a manual reinstall from market go smoother (as opposed to writing them all down).

Craig
  9. Mikejl

Mikejl Member

You are correct. You would have to be rooted to use this ROM.

cupfulloflol's post above is giving the only solution to gain back root at this time.

Mike
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  10. BasilofBakerStreet

BasilofBakerStreet New Member

Thanks. I haven't dived into rooting until 2.1 rolled out and was hoping this was it.
  11. goinskiing

goinskiing New Member

Just so I understand correctly, I can use ASTRO file manager to back up the apps to the SD card then reinstall them after updating to whatever rom I'm using?

I was looking around to see where the apps were and I found them under \system\apps but noticed that not all of them are there. So is the process to find all the apps and copy them over manually within ASTRO, or is there a setting or option somewhere to "copy apps to SD" sort of option.

Thanks again, I'm feeling good about rooting after I get this little niggle understood.
  12. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Goin,

Yes, in Astro under menu, tools you will see the app manager which will automate. It will snag all apps that are installed in data/apps.

But, as I posted, the google sync is better, as this will ensure future updates to the apps to get pushed to the phone. I have had mixed luck with reinstalling with Astro and having the app updates to find my phone. Again, I am talking about future updates to the apps. If you use the google syncing to reinstall this is best. I would use Astro as a backup to the process.

Craig

edit:

On your phone, in /system/apps, these are system apps which will come with the new rom. In /data/apps these will be market apps.
  13. goinskiing

goinskiing New Member

Awesome, sorry to sound like a noob again, how can I do a google sync or is this part of the OS. In other words, how can I make sure they are synced and is there a way to verify this. I'm off to back up my apps to the SD card using ASTRO right now. Thank you so much for your help Craig!:icon_ banana:
  14. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

To sync with google,

menu, accounts and sync, toggle the buttons. You should then see your 3g arrows showing uploading/downloading activity.

Or you can add the "power" widget, and press on the sync icon.

Craig