Rooting from Droid without computer?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by supremekizzle, Feb 16, 2010.

1. supremekizzle

supremekizzle New Member

Hey all! My first post here, although I've been a lurker since I bought my droid. Anyhow enough about me. My question is: can you root directly from the droid without a computer? If this is possible, are there any guides to doing this? I have searched around so unless I'm wording it wrong I haven't found anything. Thanks again eveybody. :)
  2. thebowers

thebowers Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

download the droidroot.zip, put on root of /sdcard as update.zip, turn phone off. Then boot holding x and power button, then hit the volume up and camera button at the same time. Go to update.zip and load it. Restart and should have a superuser app (ninja).
  3. Greaser

Greaser New Member

You can download the Sholes app from the Market for 5 bucks, follow the instructions and you will root your droid and install the latest sholes rom. But you should try to educate yourself on rooting and installing roms by looking through this forum. Matth3w has lots of great stuff lurking around here.
  4. 52brandon

52brandon New Member

+1 exactly how I did it
  5. supremekizzle

supremekizzle New Member

Oh believe you me I have been trying to educate myself pertaining to root and roms. I suppose I'm just retarded when it comes to this stuff because I have read the guides and feel dizzy from all the times I have read them. I guess the biggest thing I don't understand is using a different recovery instead of stock. What are the benefits of using SPrecovery?
  6. thebowers

thebowers Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

sprecovery is everything, almost impossible to brick phone.
  7. 52brandon

52brandon New Member

sprecovery can save your life. It is also the only recovery you can boot custom ROMs from (well, a gentleman named koush is actually developing his own, but it's VERY new). You must be rooted to even play with SPRecovery though
  8. supremekizzle

supremekizzle New Member

So do you do a backup prior to rooting? Or is there a update.zip that will bring you back to stock and clear all cacheing?
  9. Signum

Signum Member

you root, then install sprecovery, then backup, then install new rom

when going from rom you rom you just backup, then install new rom

or if going from 2.0.1 to 2.1 you backup, wipe data/cache then install.
  10. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

The 5.00 sholes comes with SPRecovery in it. I've looked at all that stuff too, its just easier to use the sholes. Its up to you. You can make it complicated or go the easy way. I'd never had rooted if it wasn't for sholes.
  11. supremekizzle

supremekizzle New Member

Thanks a lot everybody! I think ill go the sholes route. Now if I may get pointed in the right direction of one last question; if using the sholes app how does one go back to stock?
  12. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Its unbelievably simple. On the Sholes Mod is a selection for 2.0.1 back to stock. It completely removes the root and puts you right back where you started. I've done it so I speak from experience.
  13. MM1 Payne (US Navy)

MM1 Payne (US Navy) New Member

You can flash any ROM to your phone without a computer also, Just use the first method that was presented here, but instead of the root file naming it Update.zip name the ROM file Update.zip and woot there it is. now as for sprecovery that is verrryyy important.. You have to be trying to brick your phone intentionally to have a chance in bricking it. Its like Itunes for the Iphone. You have nothing to fear when sprecovery is in there...Wow that rhymed (unintentional)
  14. supremekizzle

supremekizzle New Member

Well its a good thing I decided to sign up to the forum and ask these questions ( reading all the material was getting me nowhere) having all the support of fellow droid owners is so awesome. Now as the above poster was saying about flashing any ROM, if I bought the sholes app and rooted that way, would I just be able to download the bugless beast, or any other ROM, straight to my SD card from my droid? Then rename it update.zip, go into sprecovery and allow update?
  15. MM1 Payne (US Navy)

MM1 Payne (US Navy) New Member

Yeap that would work, but you might want to a data wipe, before you install the new rom.
  16. jlutz555

jlutz555 New Member

everything CAN be done directly from the phone but is much more tedious with the on screen kb or the slide out. most things are easier to do from adb after installing the SDK because you can copy and paste commands directly from the forums or other sources without having to manually retype them if you typed them wrong with the on screen kb or slide out.

i hope all that makes sense to you because i have no idea what i just said

tldr: pm me if you want direct help...
  17. supremekizzle

supremekizzle New Member

Data wipe is in sprecovery, correct? What commands have to be entered? I thought it was all automatic with the sholes mod? Sorry if this is getting repetitive for some of you, as you can see I'm just a "junior droid".
  18. Droided

Droided New Member

Once you boot in to recovery there will be an option there that says "wipe data/factory reset" and also "wipe cache partition" You will do both of those if you want to do a clean install of a new ROM. I suggest going in to the backup/restore option first and doing a simple nandroid backup just in case.
  19. supremekizzle

supremekizzle New Member

Will this backup be saved to my sd card? What about the command question, is it automatic?
  20. Droided

Droided New Member

it will create a folder named "nandroid" on your sd card. In that folder will be another folder which contains your backup files (I believe there are about 7) This creates a backup in case of accidental brickage. As others have said, it's pretty tough to brick the phone unless you are really trying to(i.e. deleting random system files etc.)

In regards to the backup/restore/wipe, you don't have to enter in any command prompts as if using ADB. All of these options will be listed out on screen and you will just navigate through them using the directional buttons on your physical keyboard.
Search tags for this page
can i root my droid bionic without a pc
can i root my phone without connecting a usb to my computer
how to root ant motorola phone without pc
how to root droid 2 without computer
how to root motorola droid a855 without pc
how to rot my droid ultra without a computer
htc dna be rooted without a pc
install sprecovery without pc
root android without computer
root droid without cpu
root sholes without pc