1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Rooting For Newbs and those scared to root!!!

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by destinydmm, Feb 25, 2010.

1. destinydmm

destinydmm New Member

So I was (and still am) terrified of root. Scared of ADB, Nandroid, SRP recovery, BRICKS, Overclock (sped up processor, aka "Juiced Droid" :lifting:)the whole thing. I went to Sholes.info's new site DroidMod - Everything Droid doesn't, DroidMod does..
    And I stumbled across an amazing tutorial to DM Updater (which is attached), which replaced SM Updater. (This is alot I know, but I digress.)
    Tutorial: Loading DroidMod Roms with DMupdater, Reflashing to Older Sholes/DroidMod Roms
    I give a million thanks to luniz7 :yr1: who went through all the work of giving a step by step w/ pics of rooting w/ DMupdater.

So far everything has been great for me. I specifically had to un-root and then re-root but since then its been great.

I have the Milestone Music app w/ Cover flow; Milestone Browser w/ Multi-touch (aka Pinch-to-Zoom), Live Wallpapers!!, 2.1 Keyboard (w/ Speech Dictation), Youtube HQ, HQ Video (recording) & 2.1 Gallery3D (Picasa, Multi-touch). I also got those pesky Corp Calender, Visual Voicemail & Amazon MP3 removed!!! All of which were done through the rooting process, no ADB pushing or removing, thank god. Oh and I am over-clocked at 800, phone's pretty speedy.

SO TO ALL NEWBS (NOOBS) ENJOY AND I HOPE THIS OVERCOMES SOME OF YOUR ROOTING FEARS!!!!
    THANKS AGAIN TO THE DROIDMOD DEVs & LUNIZ7!!!

Update: I found out, through searching the web and my own problems that this (and most ROMs) DO NOT work with the 2.1 Launcher. It will cause the phone to freeze and reboot, several times!
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  2. jstafford1

jstafford1 Super Moderator

As easy as DMUpdater makes it I am with a few other guys here that believe you should go the manual route first so you have some understanding of what's going on. You can still get into trouble with DMU and knowing the process will allow you to help yourself.

That being said I like DMUpdater for its ease of use and support the DroidMod team fully in their endeavors.
  3. dub8420

dub8420 New Member

does this dl still allow for bugless beast and does the milestone browser and 2.1 stuff come with it or dl that before or after?
  4. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

As one of the former "skeered" noobs I have to say I totally agree with the above statement. Even if I'd known about it, I'd still have gone with Matt's tutorial.
  5. droid d'oh

droid d'oh New Member

Back in my day, we had to do everything with adb. You kids have it so easy.
  6. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

^+1000!!!!!
    Such apps are great time savers but someone should NOT use them unless they have an understanding of 1) What they are doing (and WHY they are doing it) and 2) how to recover, backup, restore and/or edit their phone w/o the app should the need arise.
    Obtaining Root | Root Your Droid
    Rooting, Flashing ROMs, OCing ect. are NOT hard or complicated and if one can't grasp the basics of these they should NOT do it. Now for those that understand what's going on, as I said above, these programs are a great time saver (if you're really that lazy:icon_ devil:).
  7. 52brandon

52brandon New Member

rooting is easy as pie anyways, download update.zip to sdcard and apply from recovery. Bam, done. I think this is a great tool to root and flash sprecovery, busybox, flash etc. but do your homework when playing with different roms etc. Learn sprecovery/nandroid inside and out. It'll save you from being the 1,000,000th person to cry "I bricked my droid" wolf
  8. destinydmm

destinydmm New Member

Yo Flash BB, you would have to do so manually. And the Milestone Browser, the Genie Widget (news & weather), choice of music player (2.1 or Milestone (cover flow) or stock 2.0.1), 3D Gallery & Live wallpapers are in there
  9. destinydmm

destinydmm New Member

Agreed, definitely do your homework and become familiar with the process. This is just for those who are too scared to just rootm and is a big help. I already applied the Smoked Glass Theme on top of Droid Mod, changed the boot animation and plan on flashing to BB!!!
  10. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Just because someone uses an app like this does not automatically classify them as a noob.
    Some people just like the simple and easy way to do thing.
  11. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Then there are those of us who quite honestly can't understand the "easy to use" manuals but have an idea of what rootings about. With DMupdater it's real difficult to brick your phone, if not impossible. I mean if I can do it anybody can.

Comparing how easy it is to install an OS vs. a Droid, Blackberry is a piece of cake. Droid on the other hand is a lot more involved and I would still be on 2.0.1 if not for DMupdater.
  12. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

Herein lies the problem... It's NOT any 'safer' than flashing yourself (should you take the time (all 10-20 min) and learn/understand what you're doing) and gives people a false sense of security. IT IS NO SAFER only easier... first it's VERY hard (but yes, still possible) to brick a Droid (several of the original Sholes member have). Even afterwards though with the release/leak of rsdLite it's possible to most bricked devices back.

The updater is doing through the SAME processes you would have to do manually and therefore the SAME risks are invovled. A momentary power surge/hiccup, a bad sector in the memory, a corrupt file ect. and all still lead to a problem. The only difference now is that since some people are likely to have little to no idea of what/where the problem is they have no idea of how to correct it (and thus we end up with more BS 'I bricked my phone' threads).

Again, to those that know/understand what the program is doing it's a great time-saver.
  13. destinydmm

destinydmm New Member

These are what my screen looks like now. And the wallpaper is a live wallpaper!
    Running DroidMod 1.0
    Smoked Glass Theme w/ Stanrc's Black Bar (framework & services for white notification clock)
    Overclocked to 800
    Starfield 3D Live Wallpaper (from Market)
    Last edited: May 13, 2010
  14. MJ5150

MJ5150 New Member

I was thinking the same thing. However, the manual route still seems really simple to me, so I keep doing it that way.

-Mike
  15. Shaneathan

Shaneathan New Member

I have a question about this with warranty:

I know that rooting voids your warranty, but couldn't you unroot and then VZW wouldn't be able to tell the difference? I'm still debating the whole root process.
  16. JhankG

JhankG New Member

Yes, "reinstating" your warranty is as easy as unrooting the phone and going back to a completely stock 2.0.1.
  17. MJ5150

MJ5150 New Member

Well, don't forgot that Verizon watches this forum 24/7 and is keeping track of everyone who roots so they can put a special "flag" on your account to alert them if you come along looking for help later.

:D

-Mike
  18. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

What you say is very true, however even though I don't understand the entire process, I do understand how to use the search and think I'm intelligent enough to figure out how to restore it.

And if that didn't work, I'd send you a pm.:icon_ devil:
  19. christim

christim Super Moderator

I think we have some who don't know what they are doing but can follow directions. Do it enough and the light goes on and understanding is gained.

We've all seen the posts where someone copied the following character for character

cp /sdcard/<insert your directory here> /system/blahblahblah

I also know there are many who are typing the commands and they don't know they are moving a file or renaming a file or changing permissions on a file. For those who are going to just cut-n-paste the commands into some shell on Windows they probably are better off just using dmupdater. For those who want to learn a little linux and take the time to understand what they are doing they can just ask someone here or search the internet. From there they can modify other things and maybe even eventually slap together some roms from the various pieces others built. From there you can rip apart the apk's and modify those. Next maybe you create a new driver or code so bluetooth works better. OR...maybe you try this stuff and go "no way" I just want 3d wallpapers please. Neither method is wrong.
  20. destinydmm

destinydmm New Member

I'm going ROM crazy!!!Check my sig now!!!! WOOT WOOT
Search tags for this page

afraid to root my phone

afraid to root s3
droid incredible noob guide root
im scared to root my android
too scared to root