Rooting for Droid X

CD95YJ

Reaction score
I'd 86 ROM Manager all together, its been buggy lately. You don't need it really since you have Koush's bootstrap. ROMs can be downloaded directly from here and flashed in recovery. Make sure to make a stock backup and before flashing (installing) each ROM and/or theme, etc.

DroidForums Junkie!!

What he said (about ROM manager). About the only phone that ROM manager really was ever recommended for and seemd to work well for (my opinion) was the OG Droid.

Make sure you get something like Astro file manager from the market. If you use Astro, under the settings enable downloads from the web, that way you can download ROMs straight to your phone and you don't have to worry about possible file corruption moving it from your computer to your SD card, however downloads get corrupted from time to time straight to the phone too so...

Make sure to follow all the instructions for flashing a ROM. After you flash a few you'll see that doing a cache and data wipe is pretty standard unless your flashing a newer version of a ROM already running on your phone. You may even make the "rookie mistake" I'm sure we have all made by flashing a new ROM without making a backup of your stock ROM. Don't freak out there is a way back to stock, but after you SBF your phone a time or two you remember to do a nandriod every time you flash a new ROM.

Have fun rooting, and I'm sure if you have anymore questions or issues we will be here to walk you through restoring your phone.

csk415

Reaction score
What exactly does the nandroid copy? Will I loose all the apps I have put on my phone in the stock stage or custom rom stage?

blueis300

Reaction score
Ive rooted my phone several times and though I had it all figured out. I put on update 3.4.2 and decided I wanted my Liberty 1.5 back. Well somehow it got screwed so I had to load a .sbf. I downloaded RSD LITE. Things were going well untill my battery died. I thought I had enough but oh well. I went to verizon just to get them to charge my battery and they wouldnt do it. They sent me a new phone. So for future reference I will keep an extra battery just incase. Have really learned alot from the forums.

bkendrick

Reaction score
The nandroid backup is an image of your phones internal memory. All the apps you have installed will remain with the backup but lost with a new ROM. You can either re-install all your apps or just restore them if you use titanium backup. TB is the easiest route.

DX. CFU. LIB 1.5.

csk415

Reaction score
@bkendrick.....thanks.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

funwheeldrive

Reaction score
So, every app that I have that I dont want to have to re download will need to be backed up by TB? Is there a quicker way of doing this than backing up one app at a time?

So lets say I back up everything and I flash to a new rom, TB will still be there? Why isnt TB removed along with everything else?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
If you have TB Pro, you can back everything up at one time with Batch. Your backups are placed on your sd so even if you have to redownload TB, it will still have that info.

So, every app that I have that I dont want to have to re download will need to be backed up by TB? Is there a quicker way of doing this than backing up one app at a time?

So lets say I back up everything and I flash to a new rom, TB will still be there? Why isnt TB removed along with everything else?

DroidForums Junkie!!

eriscrazy

Reaction score
If you have TB Pro, you can back everything up at one time with Batch. Your backups are placed on your sd so even if you have to redownload TB, it will still have that info.

DroidForums Junkie!!
You have to redownload the app but the backed up apps are saved to your SD card through TB

Sent from my Liberated Droid X!

funwheeldrive

Reaction score
Is there an easy way to move my contacts to my sd card? I try to hit the menu button when Im on my Contacts page, but I dont get any options to move it over. If I move over launcher pro will it keep all my settings in place?

Im thinking of either getting gummyjar or apex for my first rom. Any recommendations?

Are ringtones like ones from Zedge backed up if I back up the app?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Contacts are backed up to your gmail and Backup Assistant so putting them on your sd isn't needed.
You can open preferences in LP and make a backup within the launcher itself. Then just restore your LP settings the same way.
All the ROMs are good so I'd say try them all and judge for yourself...just make sure to make a backup in CW before each flash, just in case.
Your ringtones are also in your Zedge folder on your sd card so yes, they will still be there :)

Is there an easy way to move my contacts to my sd card? I try to hit the menu button when Im on my Contacts page, but I dont get any options to move it over. If I move over launcher pro will it keep all my settings in place?

Im thinking of either getting gummyjar or apex for my first rom. Any recommendations?

Are ringtones like ones from Zedge backed up if I back up the app?

DroidForums Junkie!!

funwheeldrive

Reaction score
I had no idea about the gmail automatically doing that. Is that a one time thing, or does it back up my contacts several times? Im not really sure how to work backup assistant?

How do I install a theme on a custom rom?

Last edited:

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Gmail syncs your contacts, calendar, and gmail unless its disabled by the user. I believe default is every 4 hours but could be wrong. Backup Assistant is pretty easy, just open it and it walks you through the rest.
With themes, we'll burn that bridge when we get there (its easy though) :)

I had no idea about the gmail automatically doing that. Is that a one time thing, or does it back up my contacts several times? Im not really sure how to work backup assistant?

How do I install a theme on a custom rom?

DroidForums Junkie!!

funwheeldrive

Reaction score
Alright, Im running gummyjar right now. Its nice, I think Ill stick with it for a while before I try Apex.

ajb3985

Reaction score
Everything worked out pretty well...running liberty 1.5.... i notice longer battery and the phone just responds faster....so what is sbf? Is that pretty much resetting you to stock. Would it just be a stock rom that u download from the internet?

chemicalbiscuit

Reaction score
_ui
I would recommend having a few files on your sd card.

1. z4root
2. maderstcok340
3. a nandroid backup
4. DroidXBootstrap.apk

With these files you can root/unroot, install roms, and fix something if you screw up.

Add this to the list:

com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup.apk