1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Rooting ese81 without a computer?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Cre8fear, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Cre8fear

Cre8fear New Member

Just curious if anyone has came up with a way to root 2.1 ese81 without having to use a computer? I don't have the internet but my neighbor does and its dial up. Its just very slow. It would be a lot easier for me if their was a way to root or just install a custom rom by just using my phone.
  2. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

You need a Windows computer to flash an .sbf to be able to root your phone. If you have a computer, you should be able to use your phone to download all the materials, and then transfer them to your computer.
  3. Cre8fear

Cre8fear New Member

See I have done a lot of research on this subject and this the first time I heard that I could actually download rsd lite, sbf file, and 32 bit file to my phone. So what id do is download all the necessary files to my phone without installing them to the phone. Transfer the files to my computer then install them to my computer?
  4. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

Yep as long as you can get your phone to download them, you can then transfer them to your computer (as they will be saved in /sdcard/download/ more than likely).

Some sites may give your phone a tough time though, and possibly filetypes too. I can't say I have downloaded these particular files using the phone to know if they are downloadable.

A little warning about this second option, technically this is frowned upon by VZW. They want you to pay the $30 for their tethering package (which doesn't exist yet that I know of haha), technically they could charge you for this, but more than likely that won't happen. People have gone crazy with tethering, playing games, among other things and I haven't heard of anyone getting a letter. I tether myself too, but I just want to put that disclaimer out there.

Option 2 if the above doesn't work. You can tether your phone to your PC for internet without root. EasyTether Lite v0.9.9 Application for Android | Communication or PdaNet free edition v2.41 Application for Android | Communication and maybe some others. I have never used one of those though, so I can't comment on them, but both have high ratings. One can do USB tethering if your computer doesn't have wifi.

I personally recommend option 2, so you can pull the guide up and leave it up. If you do it the other way you will either need to write things down, remember them, or just go at it blindly. Option 2 you could leave the web pages open, even though you don't have internet. Or you can save it to a text file or something. Not that the guide is too complex. But rooting your phone and installing ROMs you may definitely want to consider going with option2.
  5. dr01dm0dd3r

dr01dm0dd3r New Member

I don't think so
  6. Cre8fear

Cre8fear New Member

Tethering? I've seen posts people talking bout it but I don't really understand tethering. Never used it before. Is it similar to wi-fi? More then likely I will just use my neigbors computer to download rsd lite and sbf file and run the lite and flash the sp recovery. I just didn't wanna spennd the time downloading the sbf file over dial up since my phone is much quicker.
  7. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

Tethering essentially allows you to make your phone a modem of sorts. Most do wifi tethering, where your phone emits a wireless signal and you can log your PC into it. One of the apps says it can do USB tethering, if you don't have wireless.

Going to your neighbors will work. I know large downloads on dialup aren't fun. The full sbf to go back to 2.01 should be ~130mb, the sbf to get SPRecovery is only 6mb or so. Video: Flashing SPRecovery SBF to Stock 2.1 | Droid Life: A Motorola Droid Blog
  8. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 New Member

Get PDANet from the market. Free version works fine.

run it, you will be prompted to download the software from their website to install on your computer, do so. You'll have to mount up and move it over. It gives you instructions.

Once installed, hook the phone back up, start the app and the program and profit.

Verizon actually tells customers in the store to get PDANet for tethering. I asked if they ever intend to offer their own package and one of the phone testers said "Google pulled out of an entire country for censoring their content and they are offering tethering via the market, why would we jeopardize what we have with them?"

If Verizon hasn't offered a tethering package for one of their best selling phones after five months, my guess is they won't.

Edit: This is all about internet connectivity, not actually rooting.
  9. Aero320

Aero320 New Member

Tethering

I am running the stock 2.1 that was rooted using Pete's method. The rooting allows you to use Barnacle (which works most of the time). I also have PDAnet installed (which I connect by USB). If you tether for very long with you phone, it will be necessary to have it on a charger.

The problem is that while both methods work most of the time, both have problems. I bought a Verizon Mifi card to use with my ipad and it works great, although Barnacle works with the ipad also. Sometimes I need to use the phone and the internet at the same time so the Mifi comes in handy.