Rooting Droid

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by hazynighthawk, Feb 11, 2010.

1. hazynighthawk

hazynighthawk Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So I'm tired of waiting for 2.1 and I'm sure rooting is the only option. I just have a few questions before i do it.
    1.) Is it reversible if i just wanna go to 2.1 when it dose launch.
    2.)Am i still able to do the app market and keep all my installed apps now and any problems with the store or apps?
    3.) any big risk of bricking?
    4.) Worth it? and issue with the rooted roms any problems at all?? and best one tio use and where to find.

Ok thanks guys i was hoping to do this later today...

2. nate7761

nate7761 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well worth it in my opinion. I was nervous at first but it was really pretty simple.
    1) It is reversible and pretty easy to go back to stock
    2) You can keep all your apps, just select to "not wipe data"
    3) no big risks that I have seen
    4) I am using sholes and I think it's great...haven't had a single force close or anything.

3. vearix

vearix Member

Ratings:
    +0
    1.yes
    2.yes, no problem with any of the apps I have
    3.nope
    4. Completely worth it. I get a few random FC's and whatnot, but overall everything is perfect. Easiest to use would be sholes. You can download the updater at sholes.info or just buy it from the app market. It does everything for you.

4. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Have you searched this topic at all? Its everywhere....

But yes its easily reversible... you can keep all you apps and use the Market fine

As long as you have SPRecovery after you root you have to try pretty hard to brick it....

Get the app called sholes mod updater in the Market and it will root for you, install sprecovery for you, and install one of the best custom roms you can get at this time

5. hazynighthawk

hazynighthawk Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No lol i havent really looked and this sholes is the nexus 1 layout?

6. hazynighthawk

hazynighthawk Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't want to pay the 5 bucks to download the app. It is free through their website. So with that app download from them how do I get the app onto the phone and run it from just putting it on the phone.

7. korp

korp Member

Ratings:
    +0
    1. Yes, and simple instructions just like the ones to root your phone.

2. Yes, there are no problems with the market.

3. The instructions are pretty easy and alot of us on here can help you .... really you almost have to TRY to brick your phone.

4. Well worth it. Each rom has its on little bugs but none of them really have anything huge .... and they get updated practically every other day.

Sholes is by far the easiest because you just need to install the updater and it does 95% of the work for you alls you have to do is pick what you want installed.

Smoked Glass and Bugless Beast work very well also. I actually prefer these two over sholes but they require a little more work than using the updater but at most for the first time maybe it takes 30 minutes. Alls you have to do is go to the roms section on this forum and there are instructions on how to install each rom in their individual threads.

8. korp

korp Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Go to settings > applications .... click allow unknown sources to install ..... then you download the installer onto your phone through its browser, then click the file and install. Its also a good idea to get the app .... Astro file manager from the marketplace for free ... it comes in handy.

9. hazynighthawk

hazynighthawk Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sweet =) that worked and no five dollar charge woo!! the sprecovery installs after it asks if i want to root my phone when i run the program ?

10. korp

korp Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah ... it asks like two steps .. I think which version you want and do you want to flash the rom. Just pick the newest version and yes you want to flash the rom, then it installs everything and roots the phone .... I believe after that it takes you into the menu where you pick what parts you want installed. Just use the volume rocker to move up and down and the camera button to pick things you want installed (if it has a star its going to be installed ... I believe there is one menu that asks what you want removed though).