Rooting droid x.

evltwn72

Reaction score
Okay so according to the program my device is rooted, but I cant remove some applications I want to remove from my phone, like blockbuster and stuff like that...

Unfortunately I'm going to have to let someone else help you with that. I have kept my DX running stock software with root. I really don't care about some of these apps that are pre-installed on the phone. I don't use the stock home launcher anyways, Launcher Pro is tops for me. I really just want to be able to wireless tether my laptop. You can run into problems when you start removing somethings from the phone. You might want to look into the ROMs that are being built by the Dev's that post on this forum. Good luck.

So your device is rooted, and only thing u use is tethering?

Basically yes...I don't bother with paying for internet here my place. I use my phone to tether my laptop or ipad wirelessly so I can surf the web or stream movies. I had the original Droid and rooted it. The og Droid was pure android, no bloatware or locked bootloader. So flashing ROMs and using a custom recovery was really simple. Motorola has locked the DX and D2 bootloaders so that makes things a little trickier for someone like me. I'm not a big computer person. So for me, stock rooted is just fine.

OP
tylerbonezjonez
Reaction score
All this bloatware is hogwash, why do they insist on adding all this stuff on here half of the people dont use it cuz most of it u have to pay extra for!

Hawkerpilot05

Reaction score
You can find it here. Copy apk to root of sd card. Find file on sd card and click. Choose install. After you install open app and run. If it doesn't work after a minute ir two you may have to reboot and try again

[APP] z4root - xda-developers

detoXatappin on my X

According to post 1552 of this thread, it will no longer work if you have version 2.2.1.

[APP] z4root - Page 156 - xda-developers

Works for me and im on 2.2.1

detoXatappin on my X

Well, you were right. Was able to root my Droid X.

I used the Z4 app and it worked like a charm. I was unable to load it from my phone even using a 3rd party browser. I therefore downloaded (megaupload website) it onto my Windows 7 PC (disable antivirus) and then transferred it onto the file on my Droid in the folder labeled downloads after I selected USB mass storage. Then I used Astro app I got from market and found the z4 file. I then followed the instructions and after 4 minutes, it rebooted and everything worked. I can only say I have never been more nervous but felt confident after everything I had read.

Then I downloaded bootstrap and renamed the backup file and it worked like a charm. I then proceeded to load titanium. Now it is on to future endeavors. dancedroid

Droid X Android Version 2.2.1 System Version 2.3.340.MB810.Verizon.en.US

OP
tylerbonezjonez
Reaction score
so what the heck is the point of rooting ur phone lol? Isnt it supposed to give you access to be able to do this stuff?

You can delete them using a file manager but before you delete them I would suggest doing a nandroid backup. You will need to install Droid x bootstrapper from the market. Open the app and select bootstrap recovery. It will say success. Then click reboot recovery. This will get you to clockwork recovery. Using the volume buttons to scroll up and down, camera button to select, and the power button to go back select backup and restore. Select backup. Select yes. This will create a nandroid backup. Once backup is finished select reboot. Phone will reboot. After reboot proceed to delete bloatware you want removed. Just be careful what you delete

detoXatappin on my X

Cant seem to find the bootstrapper program... is it free?

evltwn72

Reaction score
Cant seem to find the bootstrapper program... is it free?[/QUOTE]

Did you look in the market? I was able to find it no problem. Typed in bootstrap in the market and it came up. Droid X Bootstrap. Along with like 5 other options.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

detox

Reaction score
so what the heck is the point of rooting ur phone lol? Isnt it supposed to give you access to be able to do this stuff?

You can delete them using a file manager but before you delete them I would suggest doing a nandroid backup. You will need to install Droid x bootstrapper from the market. Open the app and select bootstrap recovery. It will say success. Then click reboot recovery. This will get you to clockwork recovery. Using the volume buttons to scroll up and down, camera button to select, and the power button to go back select backup and restore. Select backup. Select yes. This will create a nandroid backup. Once backup is finished select reboot. Phone will reboot. After reboot proceed to delete bloatware you want removed. Just be careful what you delete

detoXatappin on my X

Its called Droid x recovery bootstrap. I just checked and saw it in the market. I believe it is $2

detoXatappin on my X

OP
tylerbonezjonez
Reaction score

detoXatappin on my X

Its called Droid x recovery bootstrap. I just checked and saw it in the market. I believe it is $2

detoXatappin on my X

No way to get it for free?

OP
tylerbonezjonez
Reaction score
okay so I downloaded and ran titanium backup... the only problem is that I downloaded that free version and I am unable to freeze programs. Is there a free program that will allow me to freeze programs until I tell it not too?

detox

Reaction score
Also how often should I back up with bootstrap? Or should I have back up at all?

I don't know if there is a free app for freezing apps.

I would make a backup before doing anything. I make backups after I flash roms and after I flash themes compatable with that rom.

Flashing a rom would be a free way to remove bloatware. I would suggest gummyjar 2.5 but make sure your system version is up to date with 2.3.340.

Edit: I make backups before flashing roms as well. Its always better to have more backups than not enough. You can always delete them if you have too much space taken up on you sd card. You can remove them with your file manager(astro file manager is free) under sd card- clockworkmod-backup. Its also good to rename your backups so you know which is which

detoXatappin on my X

OP
tylerbonezjonez
Reaction score
When I freeze a program, then it is not running correct? that means longer battery life if its an unnescary program running right?