rooting droid x from actual phone

tommygerbracht

Reaction score
I need to root my droid x from my actuall phone how am I supposed to do this?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
T

tommygerbracht

Reaction score
I want the gingerbread rom, I'm new and dumb with this **** so its nice I can get some help but I went to the link and selected go and I don't think anything happened

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Do you mind me asking why you need to root straight from the phone. If you don't have acess to a computer I wouldn't suggest doing the leak because you need a pc to flash back and also since you're new to this you may well need a pc if you mess up.

tappin and a talkin

OP
T

tommygerbracht

Reaction score
well my computer just crashed recently but is there any way you could try n explain I dyin for this rom

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
well you can flash gingerbread to the phone without a computer, however when it comes time to return to froyo because
a)you don't like gingerbread or it isn't stable on your phone
b)it comes time to take the official gb update
or
c)you want to try a more feature rich froyo rom

you will have to flash a recovery file called an sbf from your computer

also if you mess something up on the install, which is very possible for your first rom flash, you will also have toflash that sbf file from your computer.

i went a few months flashing roms without a computer and i consider myself lucky it worked out for me. the gingerbread leak has put a lot of people in a tight spot as far as messing their phone up and i really wouldn't suggest attempting it without a computer at hand.

OP
T

tommygerbracht

Reaction score
alright well can you explain how to do it with a computer and what id need?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
well to root your phone i would still suggest using z4root. it's the easiest and fastest method. then you will need to get set up with the droid x bootstrapper. this gives you access to a custom recovery used for flashing rom and such. the instructions for how to flash the gingerbread leak are in the threads where it was originally posted. i can't really get in to it now because i'm about to fall asleep but if you have any questions about what you are doing it is very important that you ask any questions you have, otherwise you could end up in a real jam.

as for the sbf thing there is a very good tutorial in the 5th link in my signature. it will explain the process and what you need but basically you need the appropriate drivers from motorola, a program called rsd lite 4.9, and the right sbf file for your phone.

bmking24

Reaction score
If you search the forum it's all there for you! That's the best way to do it because while searching for the right forum you may come across one that that you never would have seen that can teach you a great deal! Droid forums is a great place to search and learn everything you need to know... remember..... any problem you have has more than likely happened to numerous others and has been resolved! Good luck!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums