Rooting Droid for Sprint Compatibility?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Kitsune205, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Kitsune205

Kitsune205 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I post a little while ago about moving your Droid 1 over from Verizon to say Virgin Mobile (Because $25 a month for Unlimited web/txt with 300 min is amazing) but people were saying that doing so what impossible because Verizon's network is different than Virgin Mobiles (Sprints).

I was wondering though - with the proper ROM could the Droid be successfully ported?

2. NeverEndingXsin

Ratings:
    +0
    No it is not possible at the moment and probably will never be. Verizon and sprint use two completely different networks.

3. UltraDroid

UltraDroid Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +555
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 3, straight stock
    I'm not sure that's entirely accurate, although it may be for smart phones. I moved from Sprint to Verizon in 2006 and had a particular ruby red colored Motorola Razr that I really liked. I read on one of the forums back then that Sprint and Verizon both use the CDMA format, so I did some investigating and found a place that for a modest price was willing to unlock the phone, flash the Verizon software on it and get me set up. I used that Sprint issued Razr phone from that point forward - up to the point that I acquired my Droid 1 in January - with no problems at all.

That being said, I was coming from Sprint to Verizon and I don't know how Sprint feels about someone bringing a Verizon phone to *their* network. Also, it was a non-smart phone I was dealing with, and there may be technical reasons that prevent you from migrating a Droid to Sprint, or the EVO to Verizon.

-Mike

#3 UltraDroid, Nov 1, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  4. barcodelinux

barcodelinux Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have been told (and read) on several occasions that if the ESN of the device that your trying to activate is not in their database, they will not activate it.

However, both Sprint and Verizon both advertise that they will take any (CDMA) device on their network as long as it "meets certain criteria", which I take as legal speak for "only devices designed to work on our network".

While they are both CDMA networks, the frequencies that they operate on are different.

Search tags for this page

activate droid x on sprint

activate verizon on sprint
can a verizon motorola droid phone be compatible with sprint
droid 4 sprint compatible

droid razr on sprint

flash droid x to virgin mobile

hack droid x sprint

hacking sprint droids

motorola droid compatible with sprint?
root droid razr verizon to sprint