1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Rooting Droid 1

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by crashngo, Apr 12, 2011.

1. crashngo

crashngo New Member

hey guys,

I am new to the site and new to hacking phones. Like the title says i have droid 1 running 2.2.2 (build # FRG83G if that makes a difference). I have been looking through this guide Root Droid 1 regardless of OS . I do have a couple of questions though. From what i have been reading, it seems the either RZR or clockwork is better than the SPR that this guide recommends. What do you guys recommend as far as the recoveries go should i just stick with the SPR or switch?

I also have a question on ROMs, which ROMs do you guy recommend? Should i go with a Froyo or Gingerbread?

I also have an overclocking question. Overclocking is one of the biggest reasons that I want to root. From what i understand, every chip set is different and each chip set will react differently. I have read to find your chip set's max you should keep increasing the overclock by hour intervals until your battery hit like 125 and then there is your max and then you can start to experiment with voltages. Is this a good way to determine max overclock?

thanks in advance, i know i have alot of questions.
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  2. crashngo

crashngo New Member

Well i just rooted my phone using the guide i posted above. Now I'm looking into installing SS 5.2 by ChevyNo1 and i would also like to run his overclock kernel. The question I have is if i can flash SS 5.2 using SPRecovery.

thanks in advance
  3. Flamous

Flamous New Member

Yes, you can. Simply rename the rom file to update.zip. I would install rom manager and install clockwork recovery though its better at restoring backups and its more easy to use when installing roms.

clockwork recovery allows your to form the "partitions" of your rom such as your system rom, boot, etc, making it easier to install a rom because its always better to copy something to a new partition than overwrite one.

So if your rom doesn't install correctly or you get boot loops, restore your backup, install rom manager> clockwork recovery then format boot and format system from the partition menu.
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  4. spc_hicks09

spc_hicks09 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

In my opinion, I would go with CM7s Nightly Build #38. It's extremely stable, I'm using it now as my everyday ROM and haven't noticed any problems at all in about a week. I'm using the settings in CM7 to overclock as opposed to using SetCPU. I'm using Chevy01's Ultra Low Voltage 1200mhz Kernel, but only overclocked at 1000mhz. I'm also using RZRecovery because you flash anything to your phone without having to rename it to "update." You can also wipe different areas of your phone separately or all at once. Just go through the options and find the file then flash it. It's really user friendly.

If you want to check all this stuff out here are some links:

CM7 Nightly Build #38
    CyanogenMod Mirror Network - Powered by TDRevolution
    (They actually just put out #39 so I'll be flashing that here in a minute!)

Chevy01's Ultra Low Voltage 1200mhz Kernel:
    Index of /kernels-032411
    (Lots of different choices here to choose from)

RZRecovery:
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...-based-update-zips-battery-charging-more.html

If you need any help with all this just PM me! Enjoy your "new" Droid dancedroid

*** Just flashed the Nightly Build #39 and it's still extremely stable so far. Again this will be my daily ROM.
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011